2nd gear launches

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It won't lock until it reaches the right speed (around 25 mph I think).

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Kat what are your 60's with a 1st gear launch and what are your 60's with a 2nd gear launch?

1.7's with both first and 2nd gear launchs.

I can tell you that Ralph cut .28 off his ET by having Pat flash the 1st gear delete off his truck at Famoso :D

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
It should actually be easier on the trans (if built) than launching at the same RPM, boost, etc in 1st gear. The engine has less mechanical advantage through the trans (higher ratio) which means less torque multiplication. The converter is going to build more heat so you wouldn't want to sit there for very long like that but I don't see any reason against it. 2, 4, 6 skip shift is the best setup. It can be done.

Brayden

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
It should actually be easier on the trans (if built) than launching at the same RPM, boost, etc in 1st gear. The engine has less mechanical advantage through the trans (higher ratio) which means less torque multiplication. The converter is going to build more heat so you wouldn't want to sit there for very long like that but I don't see any reason against it. 2, 4, 6 skip shift is the best setup. It can be done.

Brayden

I agree with everything Brayden except for what's in red.I disagree with this being the best set-up. It is totally relevant to your tire size, gearing, trans mods, HP etc...
4th to 6th would be useless for me. I shift into 5th at the 1000' mark and If I could stretch the rpm's and keep the fuel a little longer I would stay in 4th.

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
I agree with everything Brayden except for what's in red.I disagree with this being the best set-up. It is totally relevant to your tire size, gearing, trans mods, HP etc...
4th to 6th would be useless for me. I shift into 5th at the 1000' mark and If I could stretch the rpm's and keep the fuel a little longer I would stay in 4th.

And it has....with stock tires and wheels anyways....:hug::D

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
You can do it however works best for you. 1-3-5, 2-4-5, 2-3-4 Just depends on the traction, tire size, engine mods....ect.:)

Alligator

Nov 9, 2006
N. Idaho

Brayden

Thanks Brayden.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
You can do it however works best for you. 1-3-5, 2-4-5, 2-3-4 Just depends on the traction, tire size, engine mods....ect.:)

I see where your going with this Kevin. The 2,3,4, is enough for the 6 speeders-just put it in M-4 and pin'er with 1st gear deleted!