28.8" OD Drag Radials

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Nitto 555R's, 305/40-18's are perhaps the best choice drag radial for slippery tracks where you have to drive to the track. Most drag radials are 28" or smaller, and the compound is too soft for the road.

Might be old news, but I probably would have got these if they were available last time I bought drag tires.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Why in the world wont just ONE tire company make drag radials that are a reasonable height for our trucks? How hard would it be to create something to fit a 16" wheel?

Last edited:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Why in the world wont just ONE tire company make drag radials that are a reasonable height for our trucks? How hard would it be to create something to fit a 16" wheel?

Cause these trucks are suspose to be for towing and not racing :rofl:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Theres a market for everything. You'd think the tire companies would have at least have heard about diesel racing....:rolleyes:

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Tires

Firestone makes a tire just over 30" tall that is dot legal. They make it in a 8.5 wide and 10.5 wide. I think they will work great and will be trying them sometime. The only problem is price. $280 eh.:mad: If I need them which it seems now I will. I will be the test mule I guess. Jeff

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Tires

Yep 16" Look up racetires.com I think thats the web site. Jegs has them also. You can go there and look up the specs. They have to order the 16" but they can get them. Jeff

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
i have these nittos .not that impressed with them.however i have not tried heating the tires up before launch i will try that next time out.tires are very stable in daily driving,at least when they are on. also bought them from a buddy used for 250 bucks so i cant grip to much...lol...

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
i have these nittos .not that impressed with them.however i have not tried heating the tires up before launch i will try that next time out.tires are very stable in daily driving,at least when they are on. also bought them from a buddy used for 250 bucks so i cant grip to much...lol...

Unlike M&H and M&T's, the Nittos only work well when heated, since they are a much harder compound. But they are safe on the street. I've driven at least 25,000 mi with them on the road, and only hydroplanning is an issue.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Tires

That big HP Cummins you have Jess needs all the traction you can get. Did you ever put a roll bar in it? I was wondering about the suncoast event if your running super street? Thanks Jeff

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Firestone makes a tire just over 30" tall that is dot legal. They make it in a 8.5 wide and 10.5 wide. I think they will work great and will be trying them sometime. The only problem is price. $280 eh.:mad: If I need them which it seems now I will. I will be the test mule I guess. Jeff

I just looked those up. They are actually a Coker Tire product.

10" wide: http://store.coker.com/1000-16-firestone-dragster.html
8.2" wide: http://store.coker.com/820-16-firestone-dragster.html

Good lord, those are expensive. Are you sure they would work on our trucks and be safe? Theres a lot of weight for those vintage tires to hold up.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Tires

From what I seen at jegs they have a stiffer sidewall then a ET street or M/H. I think they would work well they are just $$$$.

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
That big HP Cummins you have Jess needs all the traction you can get. Did you ever put a roll bar in it? I was wondering about the suncoast event if your running super street? Thanks Jeff
well as far as suncoast my plan is to run prostreet.i do have a bar installed.as far as big hp i am not sure about that.currently i leave the line wuth more than a 900 hp setup and my 60fts are aweful.like 1.9s.i am working on being able to leave with more usable power.if i back it down to say 750 setup it runs great just lacks on the top end.still a work in progress.i hope to hae my new motor completed by suncoast event so i wont have anything to worry about if this current one decides it has had enough...

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
I have to ask the stupid question sorry...

Do these trucks leave the line so "soft" we can get away with the 40 series tires? Are the converters that soft outta the hole? thats what? 4" of sidewall? No forgiveness, the tires just break out under big HP no?

I know these things are heavy is that why we head towrds the shortwall tires?

Learn me please this seems backwards.:confused:

Last edited:

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
i actually would prefer more sidewall but since i have to clear brake calipers i must have at least a 17inch rim.not many options for tires in that area,then when you factor in weight rating the list becomes almost nill...