2017 Duramax

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
There is slight loop hole in the whole cdl thing from what I heard. The Ford and dodges are well beyond 26k.

Mike I agree, I don't think they're too concerned about higher speed cruising. Not exactly what it's made for. And why 5 to 6 to 8 speed. Where's the love for a 7 speed!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
These new trucks are getting to the 26,000 gcvwr. At this point and beyond you need a CDL so I don't see the need for much more power. If you need to pull more get a Top kick or Kodiak. I haul new GM's to the dealers from the plants and my Tractor trailer has 325hp @ 1200 ft pounds w/ 10 speed eaton fuller and I'm at 78,000 gcvw on average!

You ain't got nothing. The red necks with their '96 dodge 12 valves are matching this. They do this with bad ujoints, wired exhaust and shocks using 55 gallon drums for stacks and 10" drum brakes.:thumb:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I wish I did, but I don't. I have seen changes in the 2015 1/2 and it makes me wonder why they would do this when the trans is working fine. No sense making changes if they are coming with something new.
Now let's say they are going to an 8 speed. Would they give us a .51 overdrive that kicked in at 90 mph? The 3.10 is a great first gear for a towing rig which the Allison is built for. I don't see a change there. We don't need a closer gear ratio as the Duramax handles the power very well. Where would they make the changes?
Just thinking out loud guys. Feel free to comment.:D

The only reason I can think of more gears is for fuel economy. Seems to work for some of the other manufacturer's out there.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
The only reason I can think of more gears is for fuel economy. Seems to work for some of the other manufacturer's out there.

Don't you use bigger tires to lower RPM? :)

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Don't you use bigger tires to lower RPM? :)

Bigger tires also adds weight, increased rolling resistance, among other things negating the purpose of the lower rpm which also may or may not put it in the optimum operating range for fuel efficiency.
Adding more gears keeps the rpm in the most economic range of the engine in the appropriate gear depending on the load while not sacrificing HP/Tq. A couple gears to split up the current ratio in the highway cruising ranges wouldn't be a bad thing IMO.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I was kidding :D

Yeah but then it would have to be regeared across the board. It will be more work to build too.

I'm not for or against it honestly. If they do it and it works, great. If they don't, also great.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
445/850 L5P still using A1000. Bosch ECM E41 8.X
New larger engine mounts, crankshaft fillet rolling driven by upwards of 200 bar cylinder pressure.
No model change as Ben said cost to much. For frame changes and updating block/crank would run upwards of 200 million to do.

Do not see supplier change on turbo. Just new model custom vgt.

The MY17+ECM will integrated brushless electronically reg fuel system. Fuel tank zone module for diesel and gas. Brushless fuel pump greater performance and durability vs a brushed.

dirtboy726

victim of diesel hotrodery
Mar 13, 2010
nova scotia, canada
i am still waiting for someone in the know to post that gm engineers have realized their mistakes and the new ones will be available with a big stick coming up through the center of the floor.
i almost committed myself last week after looking at a new dodge just because it was a manual.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
So it'll be 2017 before chevy matches ram in tq. (Ram has 850 now right?)

hntngkd

Jun 24, 2013
Attica, Mi
445/850 L5P still using A1000. Bosch ECM E41 8.X
New larger engine mounts, crankshaft fillet rolling driven by upwards of 200 bar cylinder pressure.
No model change as Ben said cost to much. For frame changes and updating block/crank would run upwards of 200 million to do.

Do not see supplier change on turbo. Just new model custom vgt.

The MY17+ECM will integrated brushless electronically reg fuel system. Fuel tank zone module for diesel and gas. Brushless fuel pump greater performance and durability vs a brushed.
Not 100% accurate

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
You don't have to say anything. Just send me one or two of them and I'll do it for you! No charge!!!

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
These new trucks are getting to the 26,000 gcvwr. At this point and beyond you need a CDL so I don't see the need for much more power. If you need to pull more get a Top kick or Kodiak. I haul new GM's to the dealers from the plants and my Tractor trailer has 325hp @ 1200 ft pounds w/ 10 speed eaton fuller and I'm at 78,000 gcvw on average!

There is slight loop hole in the whole cdl thing from what I heard. The Ford and dodges are well beyond 26k.

Mike I agree, I don't think they're too concerned about higher speed cruising. Not exactly what it's made for. And why 5 to 6 to 8 speed. Where's the love for a 7 speed!

Yep, the 26K pounds doesn't apply to RV's and some short haul agriculture useage. ANYBODY can jump behind the wheel of a 48 foot PREVOST bus with a trailer behind it grossing in the 50K GCVW range and drive it legally with no other training required. And for agriculture use, you can drive a class 8 semi loaded down to 80K pounds so long as you don't go furthur than a 100 miles from your home base. And I believe there is ome other loopholes if it is a non commercial rig for up to 32K combined weight.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Yeah that's how the Dodge can tow 30k