1978 Chevy LUV Machine

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
As you can see the front windshield is badly scuffed and scratched. Imagine looking through a faint spiderweb and that’s what the windshield was like and any nighttime oncoming traffic would amplify that. It also had a lot of cracks so it got some fresh glass
93f31dca4918cf05d8b55750d4c617ce.jpg

1f1deb9f1967d9858f8f24a714b6a968.jpg

It’s a fun truck, so far my total invest is somewhere around $1300 including. The whole point of this truck is a reliable commuter and so far it’s going good.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
did you install it? i had glass replaced on my samurai a couple years back before selling it. its just a flat panel but it was the original from 92. the glass guy was cussing that damn thing for 3 hours cause the rubber/glue was so hard :roflmao:

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
did you install it? i had glass replaced on my samurai a couple years back before selling it. its just a flat panel but it was the original from 92. the glass guy was cussing that damn thing for 3 hours cause the rubber/glue was so hard :roflmao:

He quoted me $285 with installation. I’ve seen this guy put windshields in swathers, tractors, choppers, loaders, trucks blah blah blah he does an awesome job and he makes it look easy. After an hour he had the original seal in about 100 pieces on my hood and says to me “I’m gonna stick to my price but just so you know I misquoted”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Fuel pump relay left me stranded yesterday! Killed me on the side of the road and after I cycled the key about a dozen times it would let me run for 3 minutes and kill me again. Got it to my shop thankfully I was only down the road from it but it was irritating.
Got a new relay for it. It’s a 30 amp 5 prong and this time I tried a different brand. Hopefully this one lasts me. I’ll end up being like a 6.0 PSD owner and driving around with some “just in case” parts

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Fuel pump relay left me stranded yesterday! Killed me on the side of the road and after I cycled the key about a dozen times it would let me run for 3 minutes and kill me again. Got it to my shop thankfully I was only down the road from it but it was irritating.
Got a new relay for it. It’s a 30 amp 5 prong and this time I tried a different brand. Hopefully this one lasts me. I’ll end up being like a 6.0 PSD owner and driving around with some “just in case” parts

If the relay is not lasting, I would suspect either the fuel pump is drawing too much amperage and is about to go, or something else is going on. Getting wet?

You can always in stall a switch on the fuel pump as a bypass for one of those just in case days.

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
If the relay is not lasting, I would suspect either the fuel pump is drawing too much amperage and is about to go, or something else is going on. Getting wet?

You can always in stall a switch on the fuel pump as a bypass for one of those just in case days.

I was thinking about getting a new pump. I have to get one from a Mazda RX it’s only 7-9psi a long with this 1-4 PSI regulator from Holley.
d0f6a983c4fd6fc1186e6a17d61681fc.jpg
I really wouldn’t be surprised if the fuel pump was taking a crap. I don’t know how old it is but this was my first fuel filter swap at the pump
e01633ab091476aa3987b28d8df33897.jpg

I’m gonna pull the tank and flush it or just swap it out altogether for one that can handle ethanol. I’ve been running ethanol free to prevent corrosion but clearly the damage was done. You know a tank I should look into James??

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Thankfully though the filter at the carb was squeaky clean but I changed it anyways

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO

Sorry for some reason Tapatalk showed that James replied to that!

Im probably just going to put another pump in it $50
but I would like to find out how and why it shit the bed on the road so that I’m not having anxiety every time I drive more than a few miles from home

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
After changing the fuel filters I put probably 60 miles on it as is and had zero problems so I the problem wasn’t the relay it was just low on fuel and pull so much crud through the fuel pump that it was jamming up.

So I pulled the bed and tank
80e7d5d74e0a029ef8639aef9dd951b0.jpg

When I would fill the tank up at the pump it would spew fuel out from the top of the tank and I figured I either had a broken line or cracked vent hose. I found this hole, didn’t have to look very hard it was right on top!
96e87e524c6f48ca17052a30f7b7db4c.jpg

Patched the hole with some SteelStik.
78ffa55840b9515a5947bda412f19a10.jpg

Filled the tank up with rust remover. Evapo-something and water. Let it sit for a 4 hours or so before I began flushing the tank out. Flushed it vigorously for about an hour. After the rust remover the fuel cell sounded like a rain stick so I kept flushing and flushing.
Here’s a pic of just the filler neck prior to everything
0b1f85a1de6f842c6a154033c3437620.jpg

Also replaced my rubber fuel lines under the bed and on top of the tank. My evaporator tank did have a broken fitting so I’m not sure what to do there yet.

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Redid my fuel lines on the carburetor side and mounted my Holley regulator on the throttle return spring anchor.
44f2bd6dd2b29fc690e9635ec3a884d7.jpg

Got it mounted up and adjusted the anchor position to tighten the throttle up a tad. Aka bent that sh*t down
00a80c518d9bd14b5dddf56ff92890a3.jpg

This regulator is apparently capable of supplying dual carbs, I thought one side was a return and I was wrong. But it made me scratch my head because it’s maximum capability is 4 PSI and that seems about 20 psi short is dual carbs so that’s why I thought it had to be a return. Anyhow I just block off the one side with a 3/8 NPT Allen head
62c5c06c2fdb9f96e2d801ee3ba7c562.jpg

Once everything was put back together I fired it up.......and then it died

Basically the new fuel line from the pickup side of the pump to the tank was 5/16 OD but the ID was slightly smaller than the new line causing cavitation so I put the best of the old lines and and primed the pump and drove that little 4 banger all around town stopping at random spots to adjust the regulator. Got her in the sweet spot and adjusted the idle as well and choke on the first cold start.
I went to the GYM this morning at 5 and it was somewhere around 15 degrees and all I did was pump twice and it fired up probably 2nd rotation!

Night and day difference between when I got it and where it is now!!
Oh I got some new tires if I haven’t already posted them
They set me back a whole $240 bucks for a set of Hankooks
961a7fe98f084ec9a1ea2542260c17b3.jpg

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
its these kinds of projects i love. reminds me alot of my damn samurai. its the little wins that make it a blast :roflmao: :D

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
its these kinds of projects i love. reminds me alot of my damn samurai. its the little wins that make it a blast :roflmao: :D

It’s definitely a lot of fun. The steering used to be super stiff like you got one shot at parking it in a park lot and parallel parking was out of the question because of how stiff it was and then I hit a pot hole and now it’s like it grew a power steering pump
The front end hasn’t been ran through yet.

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Cool little project

It is! A learning curve for sure as far as carburetors go. I’m a 90’s kid so I didn’t mess with them to much but this Weber is cake work now. I actually have adjusted it several times getting the throttle response and cold starts sweeter and sweeter.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It’s definitely a lot of fun. The steering used to be super stiff like you got one shot at parking it in a park lot and parallel parking was out of the question because of how stiff it was and then I hit a pot hole and now it’s like it grew a power steering pump
The front end hasn’t been ran through yet.

:roflmao::roflmao:

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Can’t forgot the most important part about a little truck....got dim down the headlights of traffic behind me
ad5866ed5da20d08b19f5a7d97abf269.jpg
aec1529a5ffb7d84e704a8f98e0193f3.jpg

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
She's a clean looking little truck.

I think one of the upgrades / mods for the trucks back in the day were to put a SBC between the rails. Don't think I would want to do that, but one of those diesels from a Cruze would be sweet.

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
She's a clean looking little truck.

I think one of the upgrades / mods for the trucks back in the day were to put a SBC between the rails. Don't think I would want to do that, but one of those diesels from a Cruze would be sweet.

I like the pin striping. I gotta put a new engine in my 72’ first! I’m gonna start a thread on that soon. It’s funny because I bought my house for 100 different good reasons and one of those was this insulated 2 story shop and to my wife’s amazement I spend a lot of time in there

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
The strangest failure I’ve ever had to date
c9f8cb1c360d5ae637db789f798e96d5.jpg

My buddy is a welder/fabricator so I had him cut the pin out and up the gauge! Getting ready to put it back together today or tomorrow.
e9289ef402af50d27b07b5a0d2ba75b7.png

I honestly thought I’d lost a linkage pin in the clutch cable from the way the pedal felt when I came up to the stop sign but she gave up the ghost and completely snapped when I pulled into my shop, had to jump the throttle to get it out of gear