1978 Chevy LUV Machine

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Welppp I’m thinking the LMM is sold but don’t count your chickens til they hatch. I’ve got a small car lot going on at my house. I have a 15’ Dart, 06 Colorado 5cyl, 72’K5 and my soon gone LMM and my Freightliner.

So why not add another? So I found me a 78’ Chevy Luv. It’s power by an L4 Isuzu motor fired by points and a Hitachi 2 barrel (I believe) and a 4 speed manual. When I picked it up it would die after about 3 minutes of idling. The blower motor didn’t work the coolant gauge had no signal and the fuel gauge didn’t work. These tank are fairly notorious for rusting so I changed the fuel lines and fuel filters with clear Kubota Tractor filters and bottle fed the fuel pump and the engine still chugged and died.
I pulled the air cleaner and noticed the electric choke was wide open but the breather flap was closed completely shut, I held the flap open and it would idle as long as I held it. It has old glass fuses and I rolled them with my fingers while the key was on and all of sudden the blower motor turned on and the temp gauge was reading something. So I pulled the old fuse box and left it in a tub of lemon juice overnight and that honestly made it look brand new. So I wire brushed it a little and reassembled the fuse box and now I’m not having a broke connection issue with the blower or temp gauge. I still don’t think the temp gauge is accurate though and the fuel gauge still doesn’t work.
Truck still needs a lot of misc work like weather striping, new windshield, the old tint is purple and milky, cancer spots on the body, front timing cover leak, valve cover leak, runs super rich, misfiring and voltage regulator is limping by. I’m working up a parts list for HEI conversion so I can run a hotter coil and parts are easier to get apparently. Need tires and carpet and tear the old dash out for a new one. Couple rotted joints on the front end and a few broken wheel studs.
It’s sounds like a lot and it kinda is but most of the parts are cheaper, I just have to order engine spark parts for a 84-87 Isuzu Pup and most of everything else is DIY rebuilding, they don’t manufacture parts for these anymore, I didn’t know I was buying a lifestyle but I guess I did lol.
b93def6f2949b1c491c8f511b5e4c5d3.jpg
679e1267701d2ba80a01f448623ef197.jpg
87d92cd5bb2ce336e1cfbecd1edbaa20.jpg
01cf79fc1f6f102454e70baa6b84b092.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Nice! My dad had a 74 4x4 he shoe horned a Chevy 350 into back in the early 80s. Said he could never keep it cool in the summer out here lol

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I cant believe you found one of those little POSs in that good of shape. :hehe: Hilarious!

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
How about a 2.8 mini dmax swap. That would be killer.

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
I found a front fender for it and a bumper and I’m gonna get some help with sheet metal work on the bed side one day someday. There’s a 72 running around my town and it’s completely restored and has a massive blower.
I’m gonna clean it up and get it leak free and paint it and run it til my 72’ is done. I don’t like leaks on my clean concrete! Doesn’t help my step son backed into our well head and popped a hole in his diff cover and then pulled back onto the concrete.

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
I cant believe you found one of those little POSs in that good of shape. :hehe: Hilarious!

I’ve been catching hell for it because I’m selling my daily and I bought this, they get all confused

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
fd20cb7746cf0eb760d15b85afb42eda.jpg

Pretty small radiator for a 350!!!

Lmao yup, he put in an aftermarket one “made for the swap” but he could only run an e fan cause the damn engine was so close to the rad. Back then, I can see it not staying cool lol

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
My dad had one of these when I was growing up, it's one of the first things I learned to drive other than a tractor, man the memories! His was 2WD and we used to run fire calls in it when he was in the volunteer FD near the house (he was a city fireman full time and mechanic/farmer on his days off), he'd run 80 down our road screaming in 4th gear and the next day or 2 he'd have to put a head gasket on it. When my truck broke down when I was 16 (happened a lot) I would drive the LUV to school, not to fun, lol. My brothers first truck was a LUV 4WD, he was hard on it but didn't have a lot of trouble with it. I remember riding to school with him playing Tone Loc's "Wild Thang" on the tape player :roflmao: They were both that Carolina blue.

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Lmao yup, he put in an aftermarket one “made for the swap” but he could only run an e fan cause the damn engine was so close to the rad. Back then, I can see it not staying cool lol

I wonder how much extra gain I would get from an electric fan.

I imagine he was trying to keep her cool a quarter mile at a time

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
My dad had one of these when I was growing up, it's one of the first things I learned to drive other than a tractor, man the memories! His was 2WD and we used to run fire calls in it when he was in the volunteer FD near the house (he was a city fireman full time and mechanic/farmer on his days off), he'd run 80 down our road screaming in 4th gear and the next day or 2 he'd have to put a head gasket on it. When my truck broke down when I was 16 (happened a lot) I would drive the LUV to school, not to fun, lol. My brothers first truck was a LUV 4WD, he was hard on it but didn't have a lot of trouble with it. I remember riding to school with him playing Tone Loc's "Wild Thang" on the tape player :roflmao: They were both that Carolina blue.

I’ve heard the head gasket doesn’t take much abuse. It would be cool to have a 4x4 mikado because it would make a perfect hunting truck but sadly mine is 2wd. It definitely needs some shocks for ride quality and I have to replace the rear crossmember. Frame isn’t twisted or anything but someone bottomed her out good. These things are a pain to get parts for now because everything is either Isuzu drivetrain with some Toyota cross capable parts. Once something breaks you have to convert it. By time I’m done I’ll have a 1978 Chevy luv pup Toyota Datsun

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
I tried to drive it to my shop to have an old carb guy tinker with it. The sight bowl shows the correct level but she is still dumping fuel but I didn’t make it to the stop light down the street from my home.
It’ll come with time though I guess lol

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
I remember dad telling people "it's the perfect little truck to go get something, you just can't bring it back home with you". hahahahaha

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
I remember dad telling people "it's the perfect little truck to go get something, you just can't bring it back home with you". hahahahaha

Hahahaha! Must of had a parking spot saved for it on the side of the highway