LB7: 11.54 @ 118 mph first runs on new motor

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
i didnt know you can put your name on a built motor if you slap a crank and mains in it

Why not it happens all the time, racer x buys a motor from builder A. It blows up so he sends it to builder B. When it gets rebuild and put into racer x's car it has all these stickers on it that say builder B. Id say its now builder B's motor. Thats how it goes.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Seems DA can't make a post without an infomercial, never could. You have tried to skirt the vendor policy as long as you could. You are running Kennedy tuning, which I know you tried to crack and couldn't. I think we all are sick of the name Winston stuck in our face in every post. Just WTF can you guys actualy do on your own to warrant money from our members? The monkey vomit green DA is irritating as well. Pick a different color if you want to get popular.:D

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
Seems DA can't make a post without an infomercial, never could. You have tried to skirt the vendor policy as long as you could. You are running Kennedy tuning, which I know you tried to crack and couldn't. I think we all are sick of the name Winston stuck in our face in every post. Just WTF can you guys actualy do on your own to warrant money from our members? The monkey vomit green DA is irritating as well. Pick a different color if you want to get popular.:D

:eek:

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii

i told them to go hot pink but they just wouldnt listen

and they will have a truck soon enough to put their name all over, im getting a 69K bonus in a few months and its ALL going into my truck. they will be the only ones to touch it. so then it will be there tuning, their trans, and all the little thing sthey put under my hood.

bigbird

Sep 18, 2006
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

and they will have a truck soon enough to put their name all over, im getting a 69K bonus in a few months and its ALL going into my truck. they will be the only ones to touch it. so then it will be there tuning, their trans, and all the little thing sthey put under my hood.

Almost seems like they don't do anything themselves, so how would you know what you're getting?

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal

No wonder your a prefered customer :rolleyes:

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Why not it happens all the time, racer x buys a motor from builder A. It blows up so he sends it to builder B. When it gets rebuild and put into racer x's car it has all these stickers on it that say builder B. Id say its now builder B's motor. Thats how it goes.
not if you have a reputable shop. people that do it right take the whoooole thing apart and put it together to the correct specs so they actually know. theyre not so dumb as to just put the crank and mains in and ASSume the rest is peachy.:baby:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I would have to agree with racinmike and we didn't just throw a crank and mains in it anyway. Obviously you haven't had a DMax apart or you'd know that you basically have to "take the whooooole thing apart" to put in a new crank and cam. Everything else was taken apart and gone over and the crank, bearings, and cam was all that needed replaced. We redid all the valve adjustments.

The ECM came with the motor with a Kennedy tune - that is the only Kennedy tune we've used and we used it for our shakedown runs. We wrote a new tune, swapped in Winston's stock ECM and loaded it up, and went to our home track today. He ran a 11.41 @ 120mph. He made a handful of passes under 11.50.

I've seen Chris's truck break the tires loose while rolling 45mph on dry pavement. It's not that my tuning is 'that' powerful - he put down 531hp on it - but my tuning does light the turbo really fast and boost comes on hard enough to break the tires loose. My truck with stock turbo would break my 305-50R20s loose up to about 40 on dry pavement and would break 285 BFGs loose at 60+. With the Cheetah it'll do it at 50 with the 20s and at 70+ with the BFGs. We'll try to get a video of it for you.

BigBird, what have we not done on our trucks? The only things on my truck that anyone else has done is I just had some paint touched up in a few places and I had a local 4x4 shop put my E-locker in back before we started our shop. Oh and we don't mount and balance our own tires or process our own diesel... yet.

On a good note I did beat my old times and got a 12.36 @ 108. Jonathan showed up in time to make one pass with his truck full of crap and his toolbox and tailgate on the truck. He ran on his mud tires and launched way too soft but still pulled out a 12.80 @ 105 with his new 4088 turbo.

Justin's truck will be a fun build for next spring.

Here's the video from the only pass Winston and I ran side by side:
He ran 11.46 @ 120 and mine went 12.36 @ 108
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o198moJ87wE

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
My truck with stock turbo would break my 305-50R20s loose up to about 40 on dry pavement and would break 285 BFGs loose at 60+. With the Cheetah it'll do it at 50 with the 20s and at 70+ with the BFGs. We'll try to get a video of it for you.

um yeah Id like to see that video.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Is it really that crazy??? I've gotten pulled over for breaking my tires loose at 45mph twice now. Those BFGs that I used to race on are pretty bald and are old and dried out - they just break loose really easy when I'm in 2WD and they actually have air pressure in them. They hook good at the track and I've run a 1.66 60' on them though but that's with the E-locker engaged.

I'm talking about driving straight on dry pavement - wet is just nuts, they break loose without much pedal at all.

Last edited:

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah youre right what do i know about motors :rofl:
and who judges how fast a truck is by burn outs anyway?

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
I Those BFGs that I used to race on are pretty bald and are old and dried out - they just break loose really easy when I'm in 2WD and they actually have air pressure in them. They hook good at the track and I've run a 1.66 60' on them though but that's with the E-locker engaged.

That's awesome...

Now I'm totally confused...Is it all in the tuning, or the tires, or both?;)

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
I would have to agree with racinmike and we didn't just throw a crank and mains in it anyway. Obviously you haven't had a DMax apart or you'd know that you basically have to "take the whooooole thing apart" to put in a new crank and cam. Everything else was taken apart and gone over and the crank, bearings, and cam was all that needed replaced. We redid all the valve adjustments.
The ECM came with the motor with a Kennedy tune - that is the only Kennedy tune we've used and we used it for our shakedown runs. We wrote a new tune, swapped in Winston's stock ECM and loaded it up, and went to our home track today. He ran a 11.41 @ 120mph. He made a handful of passes under 11.50.

I've seen Chris's truck break the tires loose while rolling 45mph on dry pavement. It's not that my tuning is 'that' powerful - he put down 531hp on it - but my tuning does light the turbo really fast and boost comes on hard enough to break the tires loose. My truck with stock turbo would break my 305-50R20s loose up to about 40 on dry pavement and would break 285 BFGs loose at 60+. With the Cheetah it'll do it at 50 with the 20s and at 70+ with the BFGs. We'll try to get a video of it for you.

BigBird, what have we not done on our trucks? The only things on my truck that anyone else has done is I just had some paint touched up in a few places and I had a local 4x4 shop put my E-locker in back before we started our shop. Oh and we don't mount and balance our own tires or process our own diesel... yet.

On a good note I did beat my old times and got a 12.36 @ 108. Jonathan showed up in time to make one pass with his truck full of crap and his toolbox and tailgate on the truck. He ran on his mud tires and launched way too soft but still pulled out a 12.80 @ 105 with his new 4088 turbo.

Justin's truck will be a fun build for next spring.

Here's the video from the only pass Winston and I ran side by side:
He ran 11.46 @ 120 and mine went 12.36 @ 108
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o198moJ87wE

Just curious, some people like having there motors set one way and others another.

What did you guys go with clearance wise for the mains and valve lash?:confused:

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
In my sig it is just like anyone else writing Mike L., Socal, ect - just saying who did the work.

Both of whom pay for advertising on other sites...

Glad to see you're gonna be in the same boat...

Also I think it's one thing if it someone else/customer is thanking or saying who did the work.

I don't see Mike L. thanking Inglewood Trans for the tranny or work done on his truck. Same for SoCal and some other vendors.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Is it really that crazy??? I've gotten pulled over for breaking my tires loose at 45mph twice now. Those BFGs that I used to race on are pretty bald and are old and dried out - they just break loose really easy when I'm in 2WD and they actually have air pressure in them. They hook good at the track and I've run a 1.66 60' on them though but that's with the E-locker engaged.

I'm talking about driving straight on dry pavement - wet is just nuts, they break loose without much pedal at all.

yeah ok so, lets see the video. The only video ive seen of a truck actually doing this is bobo's.