Work Accidents...

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Curious of any stories and/or pictures of accidents happening at your line of work. My buddy who is a service writer at another dealer sent me this pic. 2013 Sierra 1500 coming in for its first oil change. Lube kid didn't get the lift arms under it correctly. Damaged the lift and the dealer ended up buying the guy a whole new truck.

2unezy7u.jpg

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
How does someone manage to drop a vehicle from a lift? Seriously. I must be extra careful with my lift. I line up the arms with the frame/rear leaf springs, lift it up till the lift contacts the frame, make sure everything is lined up right, lift it 1-2" off the ground, test shake it, and then lift it up.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I don't have a picture but same thing happened to a buddies 06 z71 a couple years ago at the dealership. They wanted to just fix it but he raised hell and ended up getting a screaming deal on a 2011 z71.

sent from a galaxy far far away

SteveLBZ06

Jan 6, 2013
Central MA
In my line of work I usually only damage myself..nothing like this..at least they replaced the truck, that's a stand up thing to do.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
How does someone manage to drop a vehicle from a lift? Seriously. I must be extra careful with my lift. I line up the arms with the frame/rear leaf springs, lift it up till the lift contacts the frame, make sure everything is lined up right, lift it 1-2" off the ground, test shake it, and then lift it up.

X2 some people are just to lazy to check it before they lift it all the way up.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon

Thats exactly what I do with mine. as a one man shop of mine own I would hate to make the call that i did that to someones rig.

SwitchBack

Sep 8, 2012
Vermont
My friend used to be a service tech for a gm dealership and they only had one lift that was rated to lift a truck. Yet they still put trucks on all the other lifts. He said it was pretty sketchy working under them and they had some crazy close calls. After he left a cclb fell off the lift...

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
Working in the shop-many years ago, 2 giant blunders that both happened when rushing.
The first was pulling a lifted toyota truck off the lift after a brake job was done. The person finishing the service didn't pump up brakes and top off fluid. I backed up, no pedal and used a Jag vanden plaas edition as an E brake and took out hood and grill.

The second- after spending the morning laying on a cold wet floor replacing a 2 fuel tanks on a K-30 mason dump. I backed to door, there's a bump in floor at door to keep rain water out. When I had resistance, I let off clutch and gave more gas.
Turns out it wasn't bump holding me back. The boss parked an Explorer right behind me and I couldn't see it in either mirror. Hell, must of pushed that thing back a good 2-3 feet.

yeah, the good 'ol days.

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County

Because someone wasn't taught the right way to do things. Probably in to much of a hurry to get the job done, due to being paid piece work.
Safety first is very important.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
to the OP i guarantee that lube tech has a new job somewhere else :roflmao:

one of the lube techs where i work lifted up a new SLK with the driver door still open and crunched the bottom... needless to say that was the last car he ever lifted at that dealership.