Work Accidents...

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
You all would be correct if you thought that lube kid lost his job haha. They called him "Exxon Valdez" due always having puddles of oil in his bay.

I'll share my one story I'm not proud of. I had just finished doing some fuel work on a Dmax and my manager got on my ass saying my stall floors were way dirty and darker than any of the other techs. So I would usually take some degreaser from our detail department and mix it with some brake clean and dump on the floor. Works wonders! I always just hand scrubbed the small areas with that solution but it was a slow day so I got out our zamboni concrete floor cleaner and decided to do all my bays. One stall I had a white Express van lifted all the way up so I could just clean under it. When I finished my manager mention the stall under the van was still dirty so idiot me just dumped some more brake clean on the dirty parts and ran the zamboni over it. The zamboni sucks up the dirty fluid off the floor and ended up igniting the fumes inside of it and lit the whole floor on fire, including the van. Ended up melting part of the gas tank, most of the lines and the rubber mat inside of the van.

The good part was no one got hurt besides some singed arm hair, the insurance company paid ME to repair the van, AND it was a Coors beer delivery van. The company said we could have anything in the van since I had to clean it out and replace the rubber flooring. There was some decent cases of beer in it :D

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You all would be correct if you thought that lube kid lost his job haha. They called him "Exxon Valdez" due always having puddles of oil in his bay.

I'll share my one story I'm not proud of. I had just finished doing some fuel work on a Dmax and my manager got on my ass saying my stall floors were way dirty and darker than any of the other techs. So I would usually take some degreaser from our detail department and mix it with some brake clean and dump on the floor. Works wonders! I always just hand scrubbed the small areas with that solution but it was a slow day so I got out our zamboni concrete floor cleaner and decided to do all my bays. One stall I had a white Express van lifted all the way up so I could just clean under it. When I finished my manager mention the stall under the van was still dirty so idiot me just dumped some more brake clean on the dirty parts and ran the zamboni over it. The zamboni sucks up the dirty fluid off the floor and ended up igniting the fumes inside of it and lit the whole floor on fire, including the van. Ended up melting part of the gas tank, most of the lines and the rubber mat inside of the van.

The good part was no one got hurt besides some singed arm hair, the insurance company paid ME to repair the van, AND it was a Coors beer delivery van. The company said we could have anything in the van since I had to clean it out and replace the rubber flooring. There was some decent cases of beer in it :D

ah you aint the only one whos done some dumb things.

i was in the shop i use to work at one night getting ready to do an alignment on my truck after putting some new ball joints and steering parts on. drove up on the rack and shut the shop door behind me (it was winter time in flagstaff). my truck is the length of the damn rack and in my rush to get the heads to sync to the computer, i pushed the truck back just a hair bit too much and i went rolling off the rack with it (i was holding the tire to roll it). lucky the lift was not lifted at all and the truck went right into the door. destroyed 3 panels, one of which were a window panel which busted them all out and broke.

had to call the boss at 9 that night cause i didnt want him coming in at 7 that morning without anyone telling him what happened. he wound up coming to the shop and helped me straighten the panels out to atleast get the door to roll up and down. Didnt loose my job over it as he and i had a rellly good working relationship and i didnt screw up hardly but i gained a nickname out of it and a light pocket book to fix that door.

i never forgot to put a chock block behind a vehicle on the alignment rack after that :D

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I wish i had a picture of it but when i used to work at Cat a guy was taking the trans out fo the back of a D9N and did not have the hoist hooked up. The trans is on rollers inside the back of the cat he took the last bolt out and out she came. 3500lbs and 55 gallons of oil (yeah he hadn't drained the oil either) came rolling out the back knocked him down and fell on the floor. He had to dig the snapon socket out of the floor to load of his tools and head for the house!!!! he had been there about a month. I saw the whole thing go down. he was flailing around in the oil trying to get up. damn lucky he didnt get smashed or loose a leg.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Lol. There's some palm plant moments for sure.

Personally, I'm proud to say, in all the miles truck driving and in the years I spent, building houses, commercial or log structures, I never caused an accident, OR, have had a serious accident on any of my crews:angel:

However, I've seen my share, and had my share of mishaps. I wish there were smart phones back then. I've seen concrete tilt up walls pull cranes over, I've seen excavators sink out of site, I watched a series of trusses go down while being blocked, there was a guy at one of the peaks, he rode it down and hung from it til the rest of the crew gathered themselves and got him a ladder, I watched a guy set a de-safetied nail gun on the bridge of his boot, only to pic it up with the trigger and shoot a nail through the top of his boot and collapse the bridge of his foot, once a guy shot me through the wrist with a framing nailer with 14d nails, pulled it and kept workin:thumb: I seen a guy cut a board over his leg and the cut pinched and the saw kicked back into and opened up his hip, man I could keep goin...construction doesn't attract the brightest of individuals:rolleyes:

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Nothing to crazy but the generators I make at work use fans to cool themselves and without a shield over em, well, if you stick a finger in... you won't get it back.

Machinist lost his finger that way.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I set the nova on fire (about 10 sec worth) with starting fluid a few months back. Uhh ya didnt do any damage thank god!

Lol, I set a Yamaha scorpion snowmobile on fire once in similar fashion, dead sled lot of starting fluid, then pulling the plug and checking for spark:rofl: uhh, lets just say it had good spark

Last edited:

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
ah you aint the only one whos done some dumb things.

i was in the shop i use to work at one night getting ready to do an alignment on my truck after putting some new ball joints and steering parts on. drove up on the rack and shut the shop door behind me (it was winter time in flagstaff). my truck is the length of the damn rack and in my rush to get the heads to sync to the computer, i pushed the truck back just a hair bit too much and i went rolling off the rack with it (i was holding the tire to roll it). lucky the lift was not lifted at all and the truck went right into the door. destroyed 3 panels, one of which were a window panel which busted them all out and broke.

had to call the boss at 9 that night cause i didnt want him coming in at 7 that morning without anyone telling him what happened. he wound up coming to the shop and helped me straighten the panels out to atleast get the door to roll up and down. Didnt loose my job over it as he and i had a rellly good working relationship and i didnt screw up hardly but i gained a nickname out of it and a light pocket book to fix that door.

i never forgot to put a chock block behind a vehicle on the alignment rack after that :D

Our shop just changed from the old rim clamp alignment machines to those new ones you roll to compensate. I'll admit that I wasn't used leaving the vehicle in neutral and using wheel chocks on that rack. Luckily the ramps in the back fold up and stop the vehicle from falling off :eek:

Lol, I set a Yamaha scorpion snowmobile on fire once in similar fashion, dead sled lot of starting fluid, then pulling the plug and checking for spark:rofl: uhh, lets just say it had good spark

I did that with an s-10 Blazer. Cylinder had filled full of fuel and I was so used to disabling the injectors when cranking over that I forgot about the plug wire next to all the gas coming out.

Jul 24, 2013
jacksonville nc
A month ago we stayed late at our armory to finish up some machine guns that were going out on a live fire range the next day and one of my Marines was doing a function check on the M2 fifty cal he had gone through, well he had the bolt release set to full auto instead of semi so when he racked the charging handle back so he could check the headspace with the gauge the bolt didn't stay locked to the rear and slammed forward on his middle and pointer finger..... He didn't say a word just the ohh shit look on his face and tried to pull the bolt back by himself, everyone just laughed at first then I pulled the bolt off his fingers and took his dumb a$$ to the hospital for two broken fingers and 10 stitches. I've seen so many der di der moment, m16 mags inserted backwards, scopes turned in backwards, safety wire holding firing pins in on m16's fifty cal barrels used as cheater bars and pry bars. I can go on and on.

04 Lb7 cc/SB new guy to the forum