Who has gone from a built truck to stock?

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
I have a stock LML and it has been awesome. Tows like a beast and I will likely never lift another truck. That causes alot of maintenance headaches. I put 4 grand into repairs on my 03 the year I sold it. got me pissed. I do missed the big power hit sometimes. Wait for th 2015 maybe the interior is improved though. I do not like the fabric GM used on the seats.

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
ya this is depressing as I build my truck up lol.

I spent 15K on my lb7 with 79k miles, another 10k on mods, now its exactly how I want it. And its paid for. To me it would not be worth having an lml or new cummins with a 7-8-900 a month payment.

Aside from the potential for injectors I am not concerned with reliability.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Having another/other vehicles to drive really helps me out. When I have to drive my truck straight for a few weeks it feels like it's just way overkill and I get burnt out on it badly. So I'll switch to my Caddy or my '77 and drive them for a while. Once a nice day comes out and I fire up the truck again and it almost gives me the feeling I got the first day I bought it.

thats pretty much what im doing right now with my zuk. truck gets parked since its so nice out and i just drive the zuk. Not driving it every day lets me forget about the things i need to fix which is a good and bad thing. the bad being i forget to fix important stuff before trips lol

For how much you use the power you might be better off going back to stock nozzles? And get a little money for the little things you want to fix. Might bring your MPG back a little bit also.

ive thought about that quite a bit. running stock sticks maxed out all the time is what kicking me away from doing it cause to stay where im at now HP wise just on this tow tune is where id have to be on stock sticks. untill i get an intercooler and FPR, i cant really place MPG blame on them. my intercooler is getting bad, to the point when my wastegate port blew out of the turbo, i lost almost all boost even with both turbos going

Sent from my iPhone.

I have a stock LML and it has been awesome. Tows like a beast and I will likely never lift another truck. That causes alot of maintenance headaches. I put 4 grand into repairs on my 03 the year I sold it. got me pissed. I do missed the big power hit sometimes. Wait for th 2015 maybe the interior is improved though. I do not like the fabric GM used on the seats.

since ive replaced all my steering and suspension stuff with upgraded or OEM stuff and lowered the truck so CV/steering are straight, its all held up extremely well. i got lot of life out of tons of parts but i jsut know things will be coming due at unexpected times so i ether stick it out and fix them or sell it

ya this is depressing as I build my truck up lol.

I spent 15K on my lb7 with 79k miles, another 10k on mods, now its exactly how I want it. And its paid for. To me it would not be worth having an lml or new cummins with a 7-8-900 a month payment.

Aside from the potential for injectors I am not concerned with reliability.

woh! what are you looking at that a monthly payment would be that much?!?! after selling the truck for what i concider a resonalble price or parting a few key parts out and selling it mostly stock, i would have a damn good chunk of change to put down on a new truck and cant see my payment being any more than 350-400 bucks a month MAX. ive been quoted 250 a month with what i plan to put down on a decent apr.

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
I meant if you just financed a whole new truck. Which you may be further ahead if you invest what you make off yours. Personnally i would want all that headache but I understand your point of view.

Just make sure whatever you get you dont end up doing the same thing and throwing tons of money at it lol

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
With decent credit, a general rule of thumb is: (EDIT>>)$200.00/mo payment for every $10,000 borrowed. James may be looking to put 30k down on his new ride;)

I think he just needs an LBZ...

Last edited:

henery97

Apr 4, 2011
Nebraska
My LBZ is basically stock but i hear where your coming from on the maintenance and repairs. it seems like the minute you get one thing fixed 3 more things go out. between my 2 higher mileage Duramaxs it seems all i can get done is repairs. Last fall I took our 35' 5th wheel to Knoxville for the sprint car race. i thought my LBZ pulled good for what it is (stock LBZ with a small tune) On the way back i met up with a stock LML pulling a 40' toy hauler. After about 30 miles I was impressed with the LML. He has the cruise set not having a problem when I was dropped into 4th and eventually had to pull off due to coolant temps. The LML didnt seem to mind a bit.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
I have ordered 6 trucks new from gm. All ranging from 35k chassis truck to a loaded ccsb of out the door price of 44k. Payments were 760/month. On 20k will be 370month. But i have excellent credit amd interest rates are really low.

500 dollars for 20k is way off. Least for around here. If james put down 30k on a new lml, he would have around 18k to finance. Least with the denalli price tags and rebates when i test drove one a few weeks ago. My lbz is paid for and id like a new truck to dd, but i cant decide if i want another truck payment again. My landscaping company equipment is enough to pay for sometimes.

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
With decent credit, a general rule of thumb is: (EDIT>>)$200.00/mo payment for every $10,000 borrowed. James may be looking to put 30k down on his new ride;)

I think he just needs an LBZ...

Those of us with degrees in finance cringe while reading this.

Everyone else cringes while reading 80% of the other junk you post.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
On 20k will be 370month. But i have excellent credit amd interest rates are really low.

500 dollars for 20k is way off. Least for around here. If james put down 30k on a new lml, he would have around 18k to finance.

Yeah, you're right, it's prolly closer to 175-200mo payment for 10k borrowed, depending on length of term and credit and al that jazz, I just looked at our terms on the last 2 cars we bought, they fit into the 175 and 200/mo payment range for 10k borrowed with 2.9% and 4.3% interest rates, respectively.

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
Each of my trucks makes me appreciate the other. LMM is quiet, rides nicer, better seats stereo and interior room( crew cab) But it feels gutless compared to the LLY. I just love the way imy lly sounds and drives. But it has 225k and is starting to show some age. I think it is best to have a stock ish truck to dd and if the built up truck is broken you can leave it alone until you feel like fixing it. That's my plan for as long as the wife let's it go. :angel:

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
yup new trucks are nice but i just cant justify the payment because im on the hunt for a house but that being said i just bought a lbz for the lady and if feels like a caddy because my other lbz is just cloth and flip console this one is leather heated seats dvd player ect so im very happy plus the payment is under 500 and it also helps haveing a lady thats a diesel freak like me so she doesent want anything else but a dmax

also look at reg cost i just had to do my lb7 and it cost me
100 bucks to insure full coverage a month
and 60 bucks to reg
and i was thinking of getting rid of it but i dont think i can do it yeah its far from a perfect truck but it runs and is cheep to keep

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
James, just keep the limo. You said you built it to do everything you need it to do. I would just fix what needs fixing, and maybe turn it down a bit. Then just put miles on it. I was on the fence with my LBZ. I am daily driving a GMC gasser that I'm not entirely happy with, I want to get back to DD'ing a diesel again. I can't justify spending over $70k on a new full load Dmax. So my Dmax will be my DD again once I fix the issues.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Those of us with degrees in finance cringe while reading this.

Everyone else cringes while reading 80% of the other junk you post.

Finance degree huh? Well why were you cringing about that statement then?

Loan summary - $10,000 @ 5.5%

Term of loan - 60mo

Total ammt. paid over loan - $11,460.70

Total interest - $1,460.70

Total monthly payment - 191.01

So, I wasn't too far off....5.5% interest is a pretty median interest rate for someone with slightly better than average credit! lower interest rates can be had, sure, I have lower rates on my loans, but we have a very good income, low net to debt and stellar credit.

I cringe at the thought of you being in control of someone's finances, with that nifty degree y'all have...:eek: