Who has gone from a built truck to stock?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I went from built motor, dual CP3, big-ish twins, etc (probably in the neighborhood of 850 hp) to a stock engine, stock turbo, stock injectors, everything. I sometimes miss the power, but I don't miss breaking stuff. I didn't put it back 100% stock. I kept the built trans and lift pump, and I still throw a race tune in from time to time, but I usually run around on a 400 to 450 hp tune. I'm glad I went back to stock because I love my truck, and even with the smaller tunes, it's still a lot of fun to drive. After having it down for a combined total of about 18 months for various breakages, I decided it was too nice of a truck to not be able to drive, and if I ever have a built motor, high horsepower truck again, it will be a toy instead of a daily driver.

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
I went from built motor, dual CP3, big-ish twins, etc (probably in the neighborhood of 850 hp) to a stock engine, stock turbo, stock injectors, everything. I sometimes miss the power, but I don't miss breaking stuff. I didn't put it back 100% stock. I kept the built trans and lift pump, and I still throw a race tune in from time to time, but I usually run around on a 400 to 450 hp tune. I'm glad I went back to stock because I love my truck, and even with the smaller tunes, it's still a lot of fun to drive. After having it down for a combined total of about 18 months for various breakages, I decided it was too nice of a truck to not be able to drive, and if I ever have a built motor, high horsepower truck again, it will be a toy instead of a daily driver.

X2!

I did the similar thing with my black truck. I left the built motor (couldn't bring myself to put a stock Lbz back in) and just put 45% inj and tow twins and turned down the power so I wasn't fixing stuff every other race. Now the white truck is the toy.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Get a lml and tune it :D

now if you want a dodge which going from my truck to the wifes I love it its extremely responsive and tows my truck great to events with the heavy trailer I had it grossed 18k and towed fine didn't get over 1000*egts going up ost stuff the only time I went over 1000* was on a 7% grade but overall its great but mines auto you want a gay standard which is detuned vs autos and imo I can pull much better with a auto come up and go for a ride in mine :hug:

ZackChavez

Dec 30, 2012
New Mexico
I'm in the same predicament. My truck is minimally mod'ed, makes 480rwhp. I want a new truck, just not sure how happy I would be with a stock tuned LML. I'm also considering a Ford or Dodge. I think the 6.7 scorpion is really proving to be a good engine. The interiors and also the idea of a SFA are a huge plus regarding Ford/Dodge.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I've not been a member of the built motor club long but one pass at the track was enough to cement in my head that this will be never ending. Using an alternate vehicle for months at a time gets old and people bully me on the road in the ranger. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a mostly stock clean RELIABLE LBZ as my DD.

Grass is always greener

I had an 02 limited edition GSXR (Telefonica) and I loved that bike with all my heart. There came a point when I just didnt ride it anymore. Sat in the garage. I figured the sale of it would be a good down payment on my Ingermax. To this day I miss that bike and kick myself for selling it.

I know if I sold my Dmax I would miss it at some point and regret being able to race. Bottom line is figure out what's most important to you and your lady James. You are a smart guy with good judgement and I'm sure you will make the right decision.

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
Im lucky, I have a work truck so my truck sometimes only runs once a week. I usually keep it turned down and drive her easy. You said you see repairs down the road, factor those vs a new rig payment I guess. I know if I ever get a new truck it will be a one ton. I just love the power on mine while towing.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
If you really like the truck you have I would take the dual fuelers off to limit power and fix every single thing wrong with it at one time. What you'll get for selling the used dual fueller setup will pay for allot of the things you need to do. This will be much cheaper than buying a new truck! If you just have the itch for a new truck I say buy one.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
ive been dreading the day my motor goes..ive had my truck since 03/06 and it has been the absolute most reliable vehicle ive owned(200k). parts arent cheap, even for those of us that are in the industry, ive done my calculations and crap. my truck is definitely showing its age , dents, chips, squeaks .....it really does pain me to see my truck in the state its in but when i can truly honestly say that ive had less than $500 in repairs asides the regular maintenance in 7 years i cant complain. i still love my truck veery much......what im getting at is that a stock(lifted) truck with deletes,trans,intake,exhaust,spicy tuna, and lift pump makes for a happy medium that has kept me contempt for a long time. sure more power is nice but at what price?

I LOVE MY LBZ:D

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
I'm to much of a hp junkie, my motor isn't even built and as it is I get the "Your ****ing with your truck again!?! What's broke now" speech from my wife.

DMAX497

Sep 27, 2012
Utah
Is it paid for? I'd keep it if so. But to each their own.

My lbz is and sits in the garage... It's my toy.

I DD a cummins mega limited. But I am a sales manger and go through trucks like underwear because a sweet one keeps getting traded in and I buy and sell lol. I have a vid of my latest new truck. Just deleted, tinted, blacked out.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rBOURcrktMU&feature=c4-feed-u

battlegraduate09

Gearhead
Mar 18, 2010
I know how the OP feels. My truck has been detuned for a good while now. And its almost depressing to see how much money is in it and running a modded stock tune. I have no desire to go fast in a 7000 lb truck anymore Building my dads first car (68 firebird) has been a good trade off. I did look at a 12 LML that i loved immediately but the price tag on a 12 was to much to make me pull the trigger.

With all that said, after driving an LML, and alot of thinking. I say Yes i could definitely get rid of mine, buy that LML, throw some black wheels on, tint windows, and throw in a double din radio and be perfectly happy.

However, i have said it before and still believe that the classic silverado HD trucks even in stock form are the best looking trucks on the road. But comparing mine to the LML as far as interior,comfort, room, and power i still say id be happy with the stock rig

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the new LMLs are definitely expensive from what ive seen. if i bought one, id be looking for a low miles one. something in the 20k miles range.

its funny, after driving the samurai all day satruday on a wheeling trip, i loaded it back up on the trailer and hopped in the truck for our 2.5 hour trip home. driving that zuk makes my truck seem like a damn Cadillac and makes me apprciate the truck. the problem is looking at these new trucks and seeing how much farther they have come compared to the Limo.

another thing thats killin me is fuel mileage. it may be the injectors or a combo of a blowin intercooler and the FPR sticking. balance rates dont tell you much when the ones that look bad in N change to a really good number in D and visa versa for the good ones in N.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Having another/other vehicles to drive really helps me out. When I have to drive my truck straight for a few weeks it feels like it's just way overkill and I get burnt out on it badly. So I'll switch to my Caddy or my '77 and drive them for a while. Once a nice day comes out and I fire up the truck again and it almost gives me the feeling I got the first day I bought it.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
For how much you use the power you might be better off going back to stock nozzles? And get a little money for the little things you want to fix. Might bring your MPG back a little bit also.

Sent from my iPhone.