What did you do at work today?

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
Got into it with a coworker today. He said the heat makes him lazy. I said so what happened this winter? He didn't like that :)

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Totally agree Tom and James. We have a late 40s guy in our shop and he is one of the laziest people I've ever worked with in my life. To the Millenial side we have a 22yr old who dislocated his knee at work...never did figure out how. Anyways he is in a Velcro compression brace. He shows up at 8 and walks halfway in and forgets the brace everyday then turns around and gets it...magically he starts limping and has to take a smoke break every 20 min. I asked the he had any other speed than slow. He said he is nick named the snail for a reason. Short of it all they both have been warned to step it up and speed up a bit or they will be down the road in short time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I’m 22 and I’m one of the rare breeds that busts my ass every day for absolutely no appreciation at all. And it’s disheartning. I’ve been at this job a month now and I’ve already kept the frames running better than they have in a while. Saturday I had a doffer completely apart to change a cam follower that was bent and a shaft it snapped and had it back together and running by 3 AND changed an elevator motor. Does anyone notice? No. Instead I get why are these other doffers not running? You’re not doing your job. I guess I have 8 arms and can be at three places at once? Makes you want to slack off when everyone else is and they don’t get fussed at but you do. Can’t win for losing I swear. Anyways sorry. That’s my nightly rant.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Totally agree Tom and James. We have a late 40s guy in our shop and he is one of the laziest people I've ever worked with in my life. To the Millenial side we have a 22yr old who dislocated his knee at work...never did figure out how. Anyways he is in a Velcro compression brace. He shows up at 8 and walks halfway in and forgets the brace everyday then turns around and gets it...magically he starts limping and has to take a smoke break every 20 min. I asked the he had any other speed than slow. He said he is nick named the snail for a reason. Short of it all they both have been warned to step it up and speed up a bit or they will be down the road in short time.

Beginning of this year I’ve turned a new leaf in our shop. We’ve let a lot of shit slide and when we changed over to some custom made high dollar stainless “hoppers” as we call them, I have made everyone step their game way up. I have a couple lazy ass guys and one has been here for many years. He’s not too happy about the fact his shit ain’t sliding anymore but I don’t care. I’ve got to take the shop up to the next level to get production done like I want and to be ready for incoming business we are after. They have been warned if they don’t stay with our program, they will fall behind and out the door. I’m not holding hands. Biggest thing that drives me nuts is cell phones and cleanliness. The guys that smoke were taking their time a bit too long, too many times a day and doing it right by doors of the building. We cut all that shit out as the non smokers were getting pissed they didn’t get these breaks, I don’t blame them. Set a program in place with limits on how many a day and how long and boy was that rough for them. They wanted to test me about the rule and lie their way out. After sending two guys home for two days, they got the picture. Swear I baby sit more than actually do work....

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
I'm right there with ya on the smoking and lack of production.i almost sent the one guy home today. I told him if he was done working and wanted to talk that he could go home or get the dudes number and do it on his time not mine...when you figure out how to work more than babysit let me know lol

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
That is exactly why I left my last 2 jobs and finally went out on my own. It is no fun at all managing people you have no say in hiring or firing. Just couldn't get it across the guys I supervised that work is work and to be productive. Didn't help they were all older than me and didn't take me serious. At least working for myself if I don't like someone's work I can kick them down the road and not just have to deal with them because the big boss likes them.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I’m 22 and I’m one of the rare breeds that busts my ass every day for absolutely no appreciation at all. And it’s disheartning. I’ve been at this job a month now and I’ve already kept the frames running better than they have in a while. Saturday I had a doffer completely apart to change a cam follower that was bent and a shaft it snapped and had it back together and running by 3 AND changed an elevator motor. Does anyone notice? No. Instead I get why are these other doffers not running? You’re not doing your job. I guess I have 8 arms and can be at three places at once? Makes you want to slack off when everyone else is and they don’t get fussed at but you do. Can’t win for losing I swear. Anyways sorry. That’s my nightly rant.

You will find in any line of work that there are a few people who "get things done" around the building and the rest of the employees figure out who they are so they then dont have to do those jobs. Me and another driver were having that exact conversation last week.

As to my millenials comment, we go thru part timers like water. The majority of younger people we're getting in dont want to work, let alone work hard.
Sure, there are exceptions , like the new young lady who's loading my truck (I hope she stays, b/c she actually gives a rip).
But we've had two loaders just up and walk out during a shift over the past two weeks. We even had a group of loaders decide to be NCNS one day.
Sure, there are people my age who dont work hard either, so Im not just picking on young people. Its a "pride in your job" thing for the most part.
But we also have certain drivers that always seem to need "help" no matter what. I get tired of them and wonder why they still work here.
You send in your "finished work" message to the center, and the PM manager sends back, "So-and-so needs help". Always the same people. I finally got tired of it and told her that I will tell her when I want to help, not the other way around.
We also have certain split drivers who, no matter what route they are on, have a rep for doing a lot less work than others. For some reason, Im always getting these people in my loop....hmmm....wonder why that is?

I wish I could retire.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
I was talking to a guy not long ago and he was trying to hire some good help and he told me something that is so true. He said "you know what I've found, everyone who wants to work already has a job".

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Don't even get me started on lazy ass workers, i've got a huge project I'm heading out at one of the Amazon DC's here, I have 2 full time guys helping along with some part time UTI kids, the UTI kids work harder than the older guys but none of them can seem to stay off their ****ing phones. I have been putting in 15 hour days just to get caught up with two huge corporate companies watching it closely, one being Amazon, we cant slack off or screw up. Good help is hard to find

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
I always crack up when I see the millennial's are lazy comments :rofl:

There are lazy people in every generation and always will be, but I will certainly admit my generation is more DISTRACTED than any other generation, namely because of cell phones and social media. Its a blessing and a curse to have 99% of the worlds knowledge at the tip of your fingers.

Unfortunately being distracted=less work being done.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I agree every generation has plenty of issues with lazy people and cell phone use. I have a couple late 40s and early 50s-year-old guys that I can’t keep off their cell phones. Our company just implemented a policy that employees are no longer to carry their cell phones during working hours unless they have a company phone. I’m not going to enforce it until I have to. It’s going to end up costing us more money in the long run. I don’t have time to run all over jobsites and talk to people individually. When I can call them on their cell phone or send them pictures of what I need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Cell phones are a mixed bag. I'm writing this on my phone, at work, in a meeting. But it is a largely useless meeting that I only have 2-5 minutes of input on that runs for 2 hours. So... not really hurting productivity, just maintaining my sanity. Looking around, 9 of the 21 people here are on their phones, probably for the same reason as me. Most are 40+ years old. Why do we have a 2 hour meeting with 21+ people every week? That's the real question...

But I also know when to put the phone down and get $#1+ done. Phones are a double edged sword. It lets you communicate quicker and can get work done quicker, but if abused, less gets done. Comes down to employee work ethic. And I don't see a correlation between age and work ethic. Lazy people and hard workers in every generation. We are lucky enough to have a lot of productive people here.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
I can't remember - you sell insurance or some shit? Still be doing the same at the new place? Just chasing the dollar or other perks to the new gig?

Financial Planning/Wealth Management, but insurance was a piece of it. I handled the investments book, so never had to sell anything. I am leaving because the owner of the firm I am at now is slowly running it into the ground, and there will be much more career progression opportunity at the new company.

The department I will be in at the new job only deals with institutional investors and I will be in a research/analyst position. They primarily work with Alternative Investments. It will be a good opportunity to explore a very niche sector of financial markets which is cool to me! :D

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
0567862490b7e5e5d7855c0044dbefc1.jpg

Lol don’t get me started on the phone issue or the sense a entitlement everyone seems to have!
How many people do you see in this pic just standing there lol
But like I’m told by my dad aka boss
We have to find our “core” employees and remember that when SHTF again we will keep them busy whether it’s pulling weeds or hanging 100k building
All I can say is find a good company that treats you like a human and not a number and stick with them through their short comings... we all have them
This glut of wealth and work can’t last much longer!
People not willing to work yet turn around and buy 60-70k trucks 250-450k houses?
I can’t even fathom how they are making monthly payments and eating a decent meal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk