What did you do at work today?

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
Considering an industry shift, job since moving to Dallas hasn't quite been what I was told it was going to be... lol

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Just got done with a critical lift today, temporary bridge section for the I-10. This is our grove 550ton crane, with mega wing and full counterweight iirc around 350,000 lbs. Got the job done in record time, this time around.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Sitting here letting my mind come up with unfinished projects to think about other than project at hand...
Been wanting to get my first car 79 Malibu wagon, rebuilt and on par with C6 below 150mph in handling/performance aspect... Some stuff has been done.. there's alot.more Support now than there was 10 years ago, especially in the none straight line performance scene....
So dig up couple old threads call up some shops start asking questions.... I get sent here... Full body drop on frame replacement with latest style suspension/brakes and 345mm wide F/R tire capable chassis..
End goal dream is a LBZ/T56 powered corner Carver at ~600HP... Definitely give a Z06 a run for it's money
http://www.schwartzperformance.com/1978-1988-g-body-monte-carlo-chassis/

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Hey what is the deal with those bat wings on the crane?
I’m starting to see more and more of those and can only assume they help with sway?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Hey what is the deal with those bat wings on the crane?
I’m starting to see more and more of those and can only assume they help with sway?

It's a mega wing that bolts on to the top of the boom. It's strictly for reinforcement of the tip of the boom under load. Those cables pull about 10klbs each side. If it didn't have this, the boom would most likely snap in half.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
It's a mega wing that bolts on to the top of the boom. It's strictly for reinforcement of the tip of the boom under load. Those cables pull about 10klbs each side. If it didn't have this, the boom would most likely snap in half.

Megawing, Y guy, and Sideways super lift are all terms used for those boom enhancers. They help minimize the bending in the boom due to the weight at the end and being supported at the bottom only. On some cranes it actually give a pretty decent amount of increase.

You may only pull 10k each when setting up, but my guess is they pull quite a bit more when the hook is loaded.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Sat behind the computer and gave a webinar presentation for 1 hr. Gotta love being voluntold to do something b/c the bosses said they would do it and back out.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Self employed now, shop at home.

Prepped an lmm for new heads and gaskets, started the body mods on my old Lml for the 20x12s he installed