Well I guess it's time

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Only way to break it in right!!!

So glad you brought that up.... I've read so many different things about breaking in an engine. Dimitri was adamant that if it was built properly you should not baby it and let it have it right out of the gate. I've also heard you should take it easy on it till rings seat ect... What is a guy to believe? Is it safe to keep within the middle of the two extremes? Quite a few oil changes right off the bat to be rid of assembly lube etc? Any input from those who have been there done that would be much appreciated. I want my build to last and I will only race it once or twice a year. It will not be a competition truck and I'm not looking to set any records here.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I put my motor together and drove it straight to the track. No oil changes till 5000 miles.

I appreciate your input...this is exactly what I'm talking about. Two completely different ends of the spectrum! My gut tells me to take it easy for a little while and I don't mind the oil changes. I just don't want to roll the dice with this much money. Perhaps I should ask the machine shop?

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
when we build diesels at work they go right into hot test and within 10 minutes of it's first fire its at full power. diesels do need the rings to seat, but most rings are designed to expand and seat under pressure, so light loading will have a harder time pressing the rings tight against the cylinder walls.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
So glad you brought that up.... I've read so many different things about breaking in an engine. Dimitri was adamant that if it was built properly you should not baby it and let it have it right out of the gate. I've also heard you should take it easy on it till rings seat ect... What is a guy to believe? Is it safe to keep within the middle of the two extremes? Quite a few oil changes right off the bat to be rid of assembly lube etc? Any input from those who have been there done that would be much appreciated. I want my build to last and I will only race it once or twice a year. It will not be a competition truck and I'm not looking to set any records here.
Yes your are !!! :roflmao:

I put my motor together and drove it straight to the track. No oil changes till 5000 miles.
:eek: No way!!! That assembly lube is like wax in the oil filter.

Damian i was told 500 miles and dump the break in oil and new filter after that let it have it.

red1977

Nov 15, 2010
Ogden Utah
Thank you that's what I thought, one day I might figure this tuning thing out lol. I still can't figure out how to raise my rev limiter lol.