Well I guess it's time

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
This is why I told you not to take it to the track anyways.... Pics of the head? If the pistons looks that bad my guess is the head is jacked

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Cylinder 1... (one that looks like surface of the moon), and corresponding cylinder head...

I can see no damage, but will definitely have the heads gone through..

I think the previous owner bought a new head, put in new headgasket and sent the truck on it's way...

IMG_0233_zps6cf174a3.jpg

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
you put a straight edge on them yet? Almost seems to me someone put a new head on like that, I don't see how the piston could be that bad and the head look ok. I would like to know the dipshit that looked at that piston and just slapped that head on there and called it good

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Cylinder 1... (one that looks like surface of the moon), and corresponding cylinder head...

I can see no damage, but will definitely have the heads gone through..

I think the previous owner bought a new head, put in new headgasket and sent the truck on it's way...

IMG_0233_zps6cf174a3.jpg

wouldnt surprise me one bit.

you put a straight edge on them yet? Almost seems to me someone put a new head on like that, I don't see how the piston could be that bad and the head look ok. I would like to know the dipshit that looked at that piston and just slapped that head on there and called it good

andrew, it think you will find its more common than you think. i know of two different shops here in phoenix who told the customer about that same situation with the piston (both were due to hung open injectors along with popped head gasket). Shop told, showed, and gave extreme warning to the customer about the piston/s but the customers went ahead and said to put a reman head on, new injectors and button it up. the cost to fix it was too great to them.

to my knowledge, both trucks were soon put on craigslist there after. they both ran to the point you would never know the difference

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Is there a way to tell the difference between a LB7 cp3 and a LBZ? I have the 90* regulator, and a part number of 8973613514 on the "bosch" label, but considering this engine has a bunch of different **** on it, it wouldn't surprise me..

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Is there a way to tell the difference between a LB7 cp3 and a LBZ? I have the 90* regulator, and a part number of 8973613514 on the "bosch" label, but considering this engine has a bunch of different **** on it, it wouldn't surprise me..

based on Mcrats post

(Off the pump, throw away first and last number)

LB7 - 97208073 - Doesn't show at GMPartsDirect, could be superceded, says CP3M3 R110

LLY - 97303762 - Shows up. CP3S3 R110

LBZ - 97361351 - Shows up.

looks like its a LBZ

quite amazing what a 30 second search brings up their brian!!!!!!!! smh....... i should post this on DF

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Will you have to bore your engine over? Your piston doesn't look to bad, When I pulled my head off I was expecting a HOLE in the piston, I was not disappointed. If it was not for the top ring my piston would be in two pieces.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Ah, thanks James, I just tryed in the whole number and found no results. Nice to have a free LBZ pump :roflmao:

Just dropped off the heads at the machine shop to have them cleaned, die tested, and gone through. We will see how they turn out...

As James said I have a spare block and crank that im going to use. They are ready to go get balanced as well, but no one here can do key ways on the cam/crank... :eek:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ah, thanks James, I just tryed in the whole number and found no results. Nice to have a free LBZ pump :roflmao:

Just dropped off the heads at the machine shop to have them cleaned, die tested, and gone through. We will see how they turn out...

As James said I have a spare block and crank that im going to use. They are ready to go get balanced as well, but no one here can do key ways on the cam/crank... :eek:

keep that extra crank your gunna have brian, one of us down the road may need it. be it you, me or steve :D. Or sell it to me and ill hang on to it for a spare for all of us

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y

Or a LB7 pump with a LBZ Reg???

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
:confused::confused:

The "creator" on the far left is 1/8" deep into the side of the piston..

IMG_0229_zps28a15e1a.jpg

Another thing I found while tearing down this Mystery Block... this guy...
IMG_0227_zpsf5789d8e.jpg

Is that normal for LB7 rods? The 20ish LB7 rods I have in stock have none of that, not one, and only the LBZ/LMM rods have the 1 dimple in them... new style rod?

Look straight to me :rofl:
IMG_0226_zps06ec2253.jpg

Lastly, first thing I noticed was all rods/rod caps had scribe marks in them, like the P/O did a bearing roll in or something, rods also look pretty new for the unknown mileage, hell, it may have the 137,000 the truck has on it, I really don't know. I hate to say it, but im very glad the engine showed early signs of failure, because I it didn't, I would be going down the track tomorrow night and could have junked the turbo I just bought...

Does your wife work in surgery department? Those blue rags look just like my garage lol!