Well I guess it's time

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
[YOUTUBE]-ZpEXiP2G-I[/YOUTUBE]

as we can clearly see, Brian is hold my truck nuts while Hopper performs work with the shaft :angel:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Two things I noticed while pulling the engine...

Missing 1 engine mount bolt, and the rest I broke loose with a 3/8's ratchet, and the balancer bolt was hardly tight... I bought the Lisle tool that holds the flexplate via the bellhousing, and used a 3' breaker bar and hardly any effort to come loose, from what I remember that's NOT supposed to be a easy bolt to break loose...

Looks like im gunna Flinestone it for awhile...

Anyone notice the lack of injector line clamps on the upper valve covers....? "smack my head"

IMG_0212_zpseb62df1d.jpg

IMG_0213_zps7314b1aa.jpg

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I remember you telling me that James, ran out of time last night.

Managed to get the driver side valve covers off and remove the injectors... what a pain... every return line bolt was overtorqued, the valve cover bolts didn't have but a few rubber washer isolators on them, had random bolts holding them down, and lastly... every injector hold down bolt on the drivers side came out super easy, no injector cups came out of the heads. :eek::eek: As easy as im taking everything apart, makes it a no brainer as to why it lasted 3 weeks with what I was doing.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I remember you telling me that James, ran out of time last night.

Managed to get the driver side valve covers off and remove the injectors... what a pain... every return line bolt was overtorqued, the valve cover bolts didn't have but a few rubber washer isolators on them, had random bolts holding them down, and lastly... every injector hold down bolt on the drivers side came out super easy, no injector cups came out of the heads. :eek::eek: As easy as im taking everything apart, makes it a no brainer as to why it lasted 3 weeks with what I was doing.

ouch buddy. did you strip the return bolts or did you do the vise grip deal like we done before?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
JUICE GRIPS :woott:

Return lines actually were not tight. I remember my GMC and these were half as tight. Someone was practicing to be a dmax mechanic on mi engine.
Yea, allen socket and vice grips.

Rippin off the passenger side tonight and the water tubes, gunna have both heads off tonight and look and see if I have any Taco's down in there

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
take good pics of the headgaskets as they are when you pop the head off. im really curious what they look like.

dont forget to spin the crank around and see how short the pistons are from the top :roflmao: :D

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Looks like Walmart inside this engine :roflmao:

Has a copper colored (LML??) headgasket on the passenger side, and a factory black one on the drivers, #4 piston (lowest on comp test @ 200) went swimming, rest of the pistons on that bank look ok, no scratching on the walls.

#1 piston was the worst, found a piece of a ring in the oil pan, and the cylinder wall is all scratched up, but cant feel it with my finger. The top/bowl of the piston looks like the surface of the moon... :eek: Pitting all over the piston, starts to look a bit melted. on the head of that cylinder, there appears to be no piston to valve contact, which, to me, indicates it was run on bad injectors for a while, but that's just my .02.

Much to my surprise... I have yet to find a bent rod... Piston protrusion in every hole, I have not measured it, but I know what it looks like with bent rods, and all 8 are the same....

Pics coming.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Every injector had this crap on it... ALL cups stayed in the head...

Sorry for the blurred pic on the last ones, Ill get some better ones tomorrow after I pull the rods and pistons out.

IMG_0220_zps382585b9.jpg

IMG_0222_zps6fd5346b.jpg

:confused:

IMG_0223_zps309778ef.jpg

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
:confused::confused:

The "creator" on the far left is 1/8" deep into the side of the piston..

IMG_0229_zps28a15e1a.jpg

Another thing I found while tearing down this Mystery Block... this guy...
IMG_0227_zpsf5789d8e.jpg

Is that normal for LB7 rods? The 20ish LB7 rods I have in stock have none of that, not one, and only the LBZ/LMM rods have the 1 dimple in them... new style rod?

Look straight to me :rofl:
IMG_0226_zps06ec2253.jpg

Lastly, first thing I noticed was all rods/rod caps had scribe marks in them, like the P/O did a bearing roll in or something, rods also look pretty new for the unknown mileage, hell, it may have the 137,000 the truck has on it, I really don't know. I hate to say it, but im very glad the engine showed early signs of failure, because I it didn't, I would be going down the track tomorrow night and could have junked the turbo I just bought...

Last edited: