Want the biggest single cp3 and still be streetable.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I agree 150%! Got to test the new 12mm stroker for alittle while and it might as well been dual fueled! Capable of more power than my stock motor cared for and a new single pump pumped fuel only record for me at 821hp. Had no issue keeping up with 100%inj.:thumb:

Were you running a 10 mm stroker from exergy before? I was wondering if you would care to share what the difference between the two "felt & sounded" like? The new record you speak of, was that using the vgt72? I have heard too big of a pump can affect idle conditions? Thanks for your input Mark.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Were you running a 10 mm stroker from exergy before? I was wondering if you would care to share what the difference between the two "felt & sounded" like? The new record you speak of, was that using the vgt72? I have heard too big of a pump can affect idle conditions? Thanks for your input Mark.

Yes , I have been running the 10mm Exergy stroker since day 1! Loved it and will be putting it back on when I put it back together. Exergy sent me the 12mm to beat the crap out of it and see how it does tuning/power wise. It definitely flows alot more fuel and keep up with whatever I threw at it with my 100% injectors and didn't miss a beat. Felt like dual fuelers and acted like them. It did 821Hp and 1392ftlbs with the 12mm pump and my Billet 72mmVGT fuel only. So strongest vgt run ever and strongest single pump fuel only run also. Idled just fine and tuned fine, just wish we had reg current control for each tune of the dsp5.

cntry125

Gearhead
Sep 7, 2008
Wisconsin
How big is the exergy 10mm pump? I know mark said the 12mm is about the same as duals? Where does the 10 fall? And what size injectors are theu capable of runing with?

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
The 10mm is rated at 85% over LBZ and I have trucks running 120-175% injectors on it and making 800+hp single charged. It is my favorite pump ever, easiest to tune and most bang for the buck with stock like reliability!:thumb:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Look inside a CP3 really carefully. There is a reason bigger strokes are iffy.

It is capable of flipping the edge of the caps on a lobe of the crank. As soon as friction gets up to certain amount, it will try to push a piston a quarter inch into the top of the cylinder. Nothing holds the crank from doing this. It causes a massive, instant failure. You can't imagine how much carnage it does.

To add to the entertainment, it spews fuel all over your turbo.

You know those pressed in caps? They pop out, and a high volume of fuel spits out in the block galley.

Do what you like, but make sure you have Halon or something in the engine bay. Yes, that is the exact reason we run a 10lb bottle just for the engine. We ran a stroker pump a LOT before it happened. It takes awhile before the friction becomes high enough to flip the crank onto the buckets, the millisec it does, bang. 1/3rd of a crank revolution and it's scrap metal going into your fuel rails instead of fuel.

We need a better solution.

WICKED DIESELS

you need more fuel
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27638

The first LBZ pumps had some issues, as is stated in this thread concerning the ceramic check balls. The best option that Bosch chose for the system was to use a check ball to close the high pressure port, after the fuel was pressurized. Then the ball would seal the port and the plunger would pressurize another shot of fuel and the process repeated. Some also were heat treated above RC60, and suffered internal and external cracks. The LBZ/LMM and Cummins 6.7 CP3 all share the same design, with very little difference between the two. The pumps that came on 2009 year model and newer are a little different that the earlier version. The tappets (buckets) are now softer (less brittle), the cascade valve is redesigned with raised internal pressure. Check balls are still ceramic, so they need to be changed out for steel ones.

It doesn't matter who built the pump, stock or modified, if the ball does not reseat for any reason, fuel that has already been pressurized will re-enter the plunger bore. It cannot be raised to a higher lever so the plunger breaks, and sends the parts out the side of the pump.

I have certainly had a few pumps fail over the years, unfortunately once they fail little evidence remains. I wish we knew all things that can attribute to these failures, all we can do is speculate.

For a very long time I refused to do the LBZ/LMM style pumps and used the LB7/LLY version in place of them with better results. After those became remans, I had no choice but to go back to the LBZ/LMM for the sake of quality. It has now come to the point where, we can no longer get anything new, even if they say new on the box, if they are painted black they are a reman. They also seldom flow what what a brand new one does.

I pioneered the stroker CP3 which has been the subject of duplication for years. It doesn't matter who the company is, who offers increased displacement pumps, they will all suffer failures. I guess if you just fell off the turnip truck with no history, you can start with a clean record to make folks think different. Its not the builder its the design, and we can't do much about it except do our best to make it right in the customers eyes.

A modified regulator is worth over 20lph @3500 rpm on a 10mm stroked CP3, wonder why the expensive pump comes with a stock one?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27638

The first LBZ pumps had some issues, as is stated in this thread concerning the ceramic check balls. The best option that Bosch chose for the system was to use a check ball to close the high pressure port, after the fuel was pressurized. Then the ball would seal the port and the plunger would pressurize another shot of fuel and the process repeated. Some also were heat treated above RC60, and suffered internal and external cracks. The LBZ/LMM and Cummins 6.7 CP3 all share the same design, with very little difference between the two. The pumps that came on 2009 year model and newer are a little different that the earlier version. The tappets (buckets) are now softer (less brittle), the cascade valve is redesigned with raised internal pressure. Check balls are still ceramic, so they need to be changed out for steel ones.

It doesn't matter who built the pump, stock or modified, if the ball does not reseat for any reason, fuel that has already been pressurized will re-enter the plunger bore. It cannot be raised to a higher lever so the plunger breaks, and sends the parts out the side of the pump.

I have certainly had a few pumps fail over the years, unfortunately once they fail little evidence remains. I wish we knew all things that can attribute to these failures, all we can do is speculate.

For a very long time I refused to do the LBZ/LMM style pumps and used the LB7/LLY version in place of them with better results. After those became remans, I had no choice but to go back to the LBZ/LMM for the sake of quality. It has now come to the point where, we can no longer get anything new, even if they say new on the box, if they are painted black they are a reman. They also seldom flow what what a brand new one does.

I pioneered the stroker CP3 which has been the subject of duplication for years. It doesn't matter who the company is, who offers increased displacement pumps, they will all suffer failures. I guess if you just fell off the turnip truck with no history, you can start with a clean record to make folks think different. Its not the builder its the design, and we can't do much about it except do our best to make it right in the customers eyes.

A modified regulator is worth over 20lph @3500 rpm on a 10mm stroked CP3, wonder why the expensive pump comes with a stock one?

So that said should a guy be looking for an '09 or newer LMM pump then if he has to replace an LBZ or '08 LMM?

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
By the way, we have seen stock LBZ pumps fail in the exact way that Shane descibes on bone stock trucks and all. Ceramic check ball doesn't seat fully because a small piece cracks off and they pressurize the crank case and blow out the casting plugs. We've even seen them still run right. Mechanical parts are going to fail, and just because it is a stroker pump doesn't mean that is why it failed.

B585FDGN

Dec 8, 2013
WV
Update to this thread. I bought a Floor it stge 3 pump and got it some what close to the promise date. I have about 500 miles on it sofar and tuning it was fairly easy. Adjusting the desired vs. current on my lbz (mod reg) and a little for the ad250. No jumpy or surging idle or RP. Went to the track this weekend and was able to hold 27k for the most part down the track on 60 overs and a 2350pw. Very happy and will be raising the PW up more soon.

I know this is an old thread, but do you have any updates?