Twins vs. Large Single and reliablilty?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Yes and probably on drugs or dual fuelers, or a modded cp3. Rob although a freak ran 11.7's on a single stock cp3, qnde stock injectors. Plus streetable vs. better daily driver than compared to stock is a big difference. I know you have a ton of diesel experience but you cant deny the fact that twins are going to give you much better driveability.

As for my DP I am not sure. Rob tuned my truck, and did DP testing on Nathans truck for the LMM twins, so he can anwser this better than me.

Robs truck is fast but the 11.7 was with 30% injectors.I do think that was on street tires so that was nice to his fast time before was 11.80 area on dots I think.So the injectors helped the truck be nice to see what it will run on dots cheaters

jrad12381

May 12, 2008
Reno, NV
Robs truck is fast but the 11.7 was with 30% injectors.I do think that was on street tires so that was nice to his fast time before was 11.80 area on dots I think.So the injectors helped the truck be nice to see what it will run on dots cheaters

It also sounds like Nathans LMM may be into the 11's with the new torque converter.

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
there are several guys that have gone 12.5 or faster on a stock turbo and 11.5 or faster on a streetable single turbo

I've only had twins for a couple of weeks now, and have never driven a truck with a big single FWIW.

After doing research on which turbo setup to go with, I've learned there are many different opinions on what "streetable" means.

I think it is important for one to define what "streetable" means to them and go from there. YMMV.

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
I've only had twins for a couple of weeks now, and have never driven a truck with a big single FWIW.

After doing research on which turbo setup to go with, I've learned there are many different opinions on what "streetable" means.

I think it is important for one to define what "streetable" means to them and go from there. YMMV.

couldnt agree more, when i say streetable i just mean i can drive in on the street (not gonna tow) i just want to be able to jump on the high way and drive for a few hours to get where i need to go under my own power. i think twins are great i still remember the first time i read about them in Diesel power mag, i had to get a sock to clean up the mess. but with still wanting to be able to go to pulls and be in the right class i could never run twins and i think theres where most guys have the hardest time decideing which route to take. i would rather give up a little "streetablity" then not be able to go and pull.

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
How high are your EGT's at the end of the track?

With the 4094, just bumping 1500!

What turbo setup are you going with on your twins? Are you keeping the 4094, and going with oh say a gt45. Be nice with your tuning because if you use those dual cp3's because you can be pushing 800rwhp plus .

Using a lbz stock turbo and a used set of (old school) MPI twins Right now with the same tune smokey(fuel and timing) as i made 575 rwhp and ran 12.52 @ 109, It runs dang near smoke free, 46 psi of boost, and just touching 1200* at 115 mph!!! Hopefully it will live to see the track in the spring!

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Pretty hard to argue with Tomac, he has the trophies to prove it. Obviously I'm a twin guy, to me streetability is you wouldn't be afraid to let your grand mother drive your truck, (reasonable tune of course). My 07 has a totally stock engine, lift pumps, exhaust, tranny and co-pilot, sleeves, braces, and spring clamps for racing. I drive the same tune I race with and it gets 17.5mpg stop and go and 21+ freeway. Rob says it 550 +/- hp to the ground but I've never dynoed it. It runs 12.6, 106.8X darn near to the 10th of a sec everytime. Race weight with me in it is 7200 lbs since I have a B&W goose neck hitch which is heavy. Never seen EGT's on the track go above 1300 degrees. But when I tried towing with this tune, I set a code for high boost pulling an 8K trailer over a Mtn pass which I never understood as it wasn't even 40psi at the time. I have my boost waste gate set at 43psi tops. I believe it all in the tune, especially for twins. If I romp in it hard it lets out a little puff of smoke clears right up and and is gone.:D Acceleration is instant and pulls hard all the way to the stops.

I bent all the rods in my 02 mainly IMO due to me beng very naive. I had dual fuelers, big injectors and a tune was bad for that setup and which I drove it on before I got it retuned. I actually think I hurt that motor before it ever saw twins, I had so much junk on it and raced Kennedy up that MTN in Montana with EGT's way way up there, I was running an A2000 at the time, propane and 50/50 H2O/meth. :eek: Blew head gasket on studs. Very dumb Ass of me.:(

Last edited:

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007

With stock injectors the LBZ ran a 11.89 at 111 once and a pile of 12.0 times.

With 30% injectors, it ran a bunch of 11.7's with a best of 11.702 @ 115.63. 60' time on street tires for that run was 1.668.

My wife drives the truck all the time, even in the snow, with a 600HP tune loaded in it. I have no problems throwing anyone the keys to use the truck, in fact out of town friend has it all this week. Takes no effort to drive a twin truck and you don't sacrifice a thing in driveability.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
With stock injectors the LBZ ran a 11.89 at 111 once and a pile of 12.0 times.

With 30% injectors, it ran a bunch of 11.7's with a best of 11.702 @ 115.63. 60' time on street tires for that run was 1.668.

My wife drives the truck all the time, even in the snow, with a 600HP tune loaded in it. I have no problems throwing anyone the keys to use the truck, in fact out of town friend has it all this week. Takes no effort to drive a twin truck and you don't sacrifice a thing in driveability.

That is a killer 60' I wish for the love of GOD I could get better 60's best was 1.78 now staying at 1.88,I would love to take your truck for a drive see how the twins feel on a Dmax buddy has a Goat and its a wicked feeling when they come to life.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
With correct tuning, a big single (huge) is still pretty streetworthy. And they are certainly 10 second capable on fuel and stock injectors. Not with stock rods. Yet.

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
I think a GT 42 would be the biggest you would want on the street. However pat ran the 42mag and Nick seems to like his S480 it just takes good tuning and lots of rpms. I dont think towing would work out too well with these charger.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
A 3.2" inducer spinny thingy is still streetable if you move the operating range to 2400-4500. Yes, it will run at 1800, but it won't have instant throttle response or any power down there for towing. I've yet to tow with a charger bigger than 3.0", but everything indicates it would get er dun.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I think for a street driven truck twins are king of the hill for speed. Just look at the evidence, Submans old truck went 12.0s how many LB7s with singles and stock motor do you know going that fast? Rob is a freak of nature but still hes going 11.70s. Plenty of LBZs and LLYs hovering right around the 12.0 mark with twins. I think they are alot easier to tune for and you can take alot of stress off the motor for a DD truck.

I went 12.0's at 112.XX MPH with a 4094 and a stock lb7 CP3 with stock LBZ reg and street tires cutting 1.68 60's. Im putting injectors in it now and hoping to go in the 11's. My truck is not a DD because i drive so far to work but i took it on a 500 mile round trip this summer on vacation. I have timeslips to prove it and a few people from this board have seen them or seen me run.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I went 12.0's at 112.XX MPH with a 4094 and a stock lb7 CP3 with stock LBZ reg and street tires cutting 1.68 60's. Im putting injectors in it now and hoping to go in the 11's. My truck is not a DD because i drive so far to work but i took it on a 500 mile round trip this summer on vacation. I have timeslips to prove it and a few people from this board have seen them or seen me run.

I dont doubt that. I shouldve stated CCSB's as thats what Chad has. You being RCLB are much lighter

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo

When are you installing I still need to get those seals to you.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
There is a purpose for twins, just like any other modification. There is no "free lunch" though. Air is air, different builds and purposes have different needs.

The "dream" system would have 100% compressor efficiency at all operating conditions, but that is not possible. If you are in the "sweet spot" of a single charger, it can be as high as 80%. The sweet spot with compound twins can't go higher than 64%. But they should have a wider sweet spot, and better efficiency at boost levels over 45psig when targetted right.

Shortly I'll be logging information we get running twin chargers, but our purpose is max effort at high RPM. This is not a normal application, but I do expect it to be streetable. A single is not going to make 75psi boost without generating huge amounts of heat, if at all, so we have no other options.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I dont doubt that. I shouldve stated CCSB's as thats what Chad has. You being RCLB are much lighter

Sorry i thought you were just stating that no LB7's can get that quick. I know im much lighter then all the crew cabs and ext cabs. Henry i will give you a shout im hoping to start on them on friday or saturday.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Nope I've worked on chads truck and have talked with him about turbos before I assumed he was talking about his own

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
NADP took a 2.6 charger into the 11s on #2 only IIRC

Thebac is going to take his stock charger to 11s this season