Tuning big injectors

Big Angry

<--My idea of a good time
Sep 3, 2006
South Central Pa
I have the same problem. Starts fine plugged in, below 45 or so, forget it. Sometimes won't start. Mine is going away for the winter, but I'll be interested to see what the remedy is. Never had the problem before the motor/fueling was stock. :(

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Mine starts just fine. 16.5 CR, C gaskets and 100's. I have stock rail pressure at idle, and 45mm3 of cranking quantity. Coldest it has started was 20* It didn't like it, but did just fine.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Check all temp sensors
A bad reading could change a multiplier table and you won't have the timing advance you need for cold stuff

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I have the same problem. Starts fine plugged in, below 45 or so, forget it. Sometimes won't start. Mine is going away for the winter, but I'll be interested to see what the remedy is. Never had the problem before the motor/fueling was stock. :(

Same here......I have been wondering if changing the glow plug timer with efi would help, but tony locked me out of the file.

dmax711

Mar 4, 2011
concord, north carolina
My truck starts pretty good at 40 degrees with no glow plugs. It used to start fine when it was even colder out with my old tuning.

Mine fired up yest a.m. at 19 degrees.. 100 overs built motor, fingers pistons. First round of tuning from Steve. It def didn't like it but fired up and hazed a bit but warmed up quick.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Mine use to do like you are taking when I ran 16 to 1 cut stick pistons. Cold weather like low 30's or 20's it did not want to start unless plugged in. Same injectors in a 17 to 1 motor didn't have a single issue. It probably is a combination of issues.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
I assume you are running winter blend fuel where you are, have you ruled out gelling issues?

Not cold enough for gelling... I see fuel gel if its not a winter blend around 20 from personal experience. op add some glow plug time pre run also want to make sure there working right and leave it plugged in all damn night if you want it wont hurt anything.

Last edited:

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Not cold enough for gelling... I see fuel gel if its not a winter blend around 20 from personal experience. op add some glow plug time pre run also want to make sure there working right and leave it plugged in all damn night if you want it wont hurt anything.

I'll try that. First need to make sure they are getting power to them.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Okay first off happy thanksgiving! Second I had a log of trying to start it but the computer died. The rail pressure was around 6500 cranking and 7200 after it finally started. It didn't take as long to start this time but still smokes while idling. Pulse width at idle is 750us. I couldn't get a reading off the glow plugs but I did set them to 25 seconds this time.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Well I ran her pretty good yesterday on tune one two and three. Guessing around 450 on one 550 ok two and 650hp o three. Third tune I blew out the o ring on the block heater and some how cracked a copper washer on injector 8. Never seen this before? Busted it into 4 pieces.
ube2a3um.jpg

Also logged it after 10 hours of sitting and starter up just fine in 47 degree weather. Here is the log

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
idk if it will work this way, but i couldn't get it to work as .efi file so i put it as a zip

Attachments

• morning log_0002.zip
    41.4 KB · Views: 5

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I've broke a copper in half. It's not fun trying to pull it out for fear of it falling into the cylinder. I used a bunch of grease on a pick to pull them out.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I've used a shop vac and a peice of fuel hose between my fingers to make the seal on the big hose and used my other hand to run the hose. Works really well to suck carbon out. Would work good for this too I'd think.