Tuning big injectors

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
LBZ/LMM run 16.8, but they also have a grid heater to assist in cold weather. This LB7 came with an intake heater also, but usually these are removed when the truck is built. A good point however.

My concern here moreso is whether this truck is truly at a 16.5 compression.

It's bored .020 over with fibers pistons, .75 valve reliefs, 16.5 compression ratio, stock cam, grade C gaskets. But how would hat effect it if it cranks up fine after being plugged in?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It's bored .020 over with fibers pistons, .75 valve reliefs, 16.5 compression ratio, stock cam, grade C gaskets. But how would hat effect it if it cranks up fine after being plugged in?

plugging in should have no affect as all it is a hot resistor in a freeze plug that keeps the water warm around the block. it wont heat a block up in 5 min, hence why this cant be associated.

Not a single code sir!

have you tried starting it on the stock tune?

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Do you know the injectors are good? And does pumping the gas actually do anything, it's not carbureted. I do it to but I don't know if it actually does anything and just a mental thing.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Can you post a log of the truck sitting cold and you trying to start it? Just the standard 'DuramaxImperial' PID list is fine.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Do you know the injectors are good? And does pumping the gas actually do anything, it's not carbureted. I do it to but I don't know if it actually does anything and just a mental thing.

Injectors are good balance rates are +1/-1. Well I can sit there and not touch the pedal and crank on it for 30-40 seconds and nothing happen, then the next morning as I try starting it with a little pumping of the pedal as I crank it, it fires.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
plugging in should have no affect as all it is a hot resistor in a freeze plug that keeps the water warm around the block. it wont heat a block up in 5 min, hence why this cant be associated.

have you tried starting it on the stock tune?

Yes still same thing.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Injectors are good balance rates are +1/-1. Well I can sit there and not touch the pedal and crank on it for 30-40 seconds and nothing happen, then the next morning as I try starting it with a little pumping of the pedal as I crank it, it fires.

Maybe thats cause your bumping it the next morning. Besides balance rates, have you always had those injectors? Newly done? I had injectors with GM spec balance and 7 out of 8 were toast.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Maybe thats cause your bumping it the next morning. Besides balance rates, have you always had those injectors? Newly done? I had injectors with GM spec balance and 7 out of 8 were toast.

No I drive the truck each day. So nothing is different in the situation. Injectors are new, I don't see how injectors would be a issue if it runs fine after started.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
I thought it was having trouble starting after it was warmed up from cold sorry.

No sir. I'll get a log and video of it Thursday. It will be sitting for two days without running, I will crank on it with no pedal, and not being plugged in, and log it. After it's warmed up it will start just fine.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
need to see what if any the amp draw is on the glowplug line. i think i texted you that though. thats where I'd start.