Truck died. Fuel issue.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Take off from a red light, driving normally, and kaput. Truck flat out does. No sputter. No anything. Coast over to the side of the road and smell fuel as I try to crank it again. Pop the hood and see fuel on the cold side ic tube, fuel filter, firewall and on the exhaust manifold under the #1 and #3 cylinders. Fuel filter has pressure when I turn on the lift pump. By grabbing the soft lines with my finger tips (post filter pre cp3) the lines feel like they have pressure. Banjo bolts to the ficm are dry. Valley around the cp3 and the cp3 it's self is dry. When cranking the truck does not sputter or attempt to fire what so ever.

I have not scanned for codes as I'm still on the side of the road. Anyone have any ideas on what I should check first?

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Not that I can tell at this time. Everything seems dry except those few places. All the injectors and all around the glow plugs. I'm starting to think its this wack ass industrial cp3. But idk were that fuel would be coming from.

:confused::mad::(

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Well... Got the truck towed home behind a dodge :( it was a little too late to tear into it. So I'm still lost. But I'll take a look at it today after work and see what I find. Im just kind of baffled.

A return line shouldn't make the truck stop running. It would just spray fuel all over. I may delete the fuel filter just to take it out of the equation.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
A return line wont keep it from running will it?It will just leak massivly right?

Well... Got the truck towed home behind a dodge :( it was a little too late to tear into it. So I'm still lost. But I'll take a look at it today after work and see what I find. Im just kind of baffled.

A return line shouldn't make the truck stop running. It would just spray fuel all over. I may delete the fuel filter just to take it out of the equation.

If you can not build enough rail pressure it will not start. Also in your first post your saying its dry around the cp3 then in your 2nd post your saying (I'm starting to think its this wack ass industrial cp3) Not the cp3 if the valley is dry.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
If you can not build enough rail pressure it will not start. Also in your first post your saying its dry around the cp3 then in your 2nd post your saying (I'm starting to think its this wack ass industrial cp3) Not the cp3 if the valley is dry.

I said that just because there seems to be no fuel at all getting to the cylinders. It is dry in the valley. But its almost as if the cp3 isn't working at all. It's still all inconclusive untill I can get under the hood to investigate it further.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Bump for ya bud...Hope you get it ironed out. sorry you had to be towed home by a Dodge...better than if you were out here and it was by my Ferd rofl

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Well... Got the truck towed home behind a dodge :(

OO! Brings me back to yester year back in 03 when I got towed home by my buds Dodge because I had suffered a bent tie rod at the hands of a Toyota with a stupid kid at the helm. Almost flipped the Toyota when he hit my passenger side front tire. Every one was giving my Dodge friend the thumbs up. Couldn't have that any more. Duramax tie rod sleeves were born. Sorry to derail.

Did you check the pressure sensor for tightness or for leaks Pat?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Pat if you need a hand give me a shout , I have spent many many hours diagnosing different fuel problems . 801-599-3922

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Ok thanks Trent. I'll be tearing into it within the next hour or two.
@super diesel... No I haven't. Where is the pressure sensor at? The only leak that was obvious was on the passenger side. Is that where it's at?

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Ok fellas... Took a look at it today. Didnt take long to figure out where it was coming from. This is how it went...
Took a look after the truck was sitting for 2 days. Everything was dry. Removed cold side ic tube and cranked the truck for ~5sec. Took a look again. Fuel was steadily coming out of the #3 cylinder around the injector and glow plug. Had a person crank the truck while I took a look under the hood and could see it coming out around the area. Not sure if it's seeping around the plug or around the injector cup.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332458159.018937.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332458159.018937.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 55

jc1843

Sep 27, 2009
So Calf
The LLY does not have injector cups--

The fuel return line is there , but that will not keep it from running. If the injector is damaged, it could reduce the line pressure. Might pull the injector for further checks.

Sep 10, 2008
Morehead City, North Carolina
Glad you found the problem. FYI, even if the valley is dry, never rule out a cp3 failure. Most people assume it would blow a freeze plug. Wrong. I had one completely seize up, sheared the shaft in half, mushrooming the nut onto the gear. Motor would crank but no fuel. The next cp3 seized, blew a freeze plug and locked up the motor.....good times.