Transfer case rear bushing

02CCSB

Built
May 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Canada
Sure, it'll get costly but you will have quality. What's wrong with the input bearing? Do you even know how to check it? Spray the heck outta it with brake clean, then put a bit of gear oil on it, if it's quiet, it's good to go.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Sure, it'll get costly but you will have quality. What's wrong with the input bearing? Do you even know how to check it? Spray the heck outta it with brake clean, then put a bit of gear oil on it, if it's quiet, it's good to go.

I think you are getting too opinionated with this considering you are not there to actauly see the parts. This transfer case is not worth building. Now let it go. The OP has already complained about your constant input.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
OK James I want sure if all parts were OEM or if some were knockoffs. That explains alot of the price difference. I dont want chinese shit either. I also dont want some junk reman found on google as well. Thats why I was asking if anyone has dealt with a particular company that has good remans.

So I assume all of Merchant's are OEM parts? If so I apologize for saying his parts were high. Its understandable now. Even then I dont think he has all the parts I need so I may have no other choice than buying a reman.

I got ya. Midwesttrans, monstertrans, merchant, and a couple other from what I've read are reputable. Merchant I can not see selling anything that's a crap part but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I just know from searching for that rear output bearing, some were 80 bucks, and eBay had some for 20 bucks. I've always associated merchant with selling the "better" of the stuff that is out there so I just went with them for that bearing and other parts.

Your case looks really bad though.... I hate to say it

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Well, I'm sorry for trying to be helpful and I clearly missed the part where the OP complained.

You kind of over did it. You might want to build a transfer case in as bad a shape as this one, but most professionals would not. Also , you cannot make pure judgement calls on pictures and advise someone unless it is totally clear.
Advising someone wrongly can cause them to spend uneccessary money because they believed you. I try to be very carefull so that does not happen.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Haha yeah I know. In all honesty I'm glad you threw this post up. I would have reused my tone wheel thinking the groove was normal. Made me go back out and thoroughly check everything

02CCSB

Built
May 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Canada
You kind of over did it. You might want to build a transfer case in as bad a shape as this one, but most professionals would not. Also , you cannot make pure judgement calls on pictures and advise someone unless it is totally clear.
Advising someone wrongly can cause them to spend uneccessary money because they believed you. I try to be very carefull so that does not happen.

I don't completely disagree, but I am a professional and have actually built hundreds of transfer cases, some in as bad shape as that, when I have had no choice except to basically salvage just a front case half and go new on everything else, not always cost effective, but when the customer expects a certain level of quality and I stand by my come back number of zero.

I did try I provide guidance as noted by the description of how to check a planetary, how to remove the input shaft snap ring.

You will note how I have never chimed into a discussion on the operation of an Allison as it is not my expertise. I have some knowledge but not enough to chime in to a thread.

The problem here is that nothing I say is necessarily wrong, but that there is no way for me to "win" my case, since you are Duramax royalty and I am a minion.

Fact is, I pissed you off when I noted that that first pic of the tone wheel that was blurry and looked bad and the subsequent 4 showed that it was in fact not that bad and you won't let that go.

Of course, it takes a big man to admit when he's wrong and no one is perfect, right? But you can't do that can you? Similar to when you hung me out to dry on that LML build last week.

Anyways, enough ranting I'm done. I'll bow out gracefully from this board and never comment again. Goodbye.

496 BB

Head Thread De-Railer
Feb 20, 2009
At your girlfriends house
Just checked Monster Transmission. They have ALOT of complaints about trans not working more than 1k miles.

I think its Transfer Case Express for me.

Thanks to all for the input. Im not rebuilding. Im buying. My kid doesnt need to goto college anyways...lol.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I put a GM reman in my wife's truck a cpl years ago & all is well today. It probsbly doesn't have 20k miles on it & less than a dozen uses of 4wd since then. I did go ahead & have a pump rub prohibiting ring (not the big thing merchant sells but rather the sheet metal style burkhardt sell) for preventative measure. :)

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Just checked Monster Transmission. They have ALOT of complaints about trans not working more than 1k miles.

I think its Transfer Case Express for me.

Thanks to all for the input. Im not rebuilding. Im buying. My kid doesnt need to goto college anyways...lol.

Yeah I haven't seen much good on the trans but tcase is what I was speaking for. Maybe I didn't look hard enough lol

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I don't completely disagree, but I am a professional and have actually built hundreds of transfer cases, some in as bad shape as that, when I have had no choice except to basically salvage just a front case half and go new on everything else, not always cost effective, but when the customer expects a certain level of quality and I stand by my come back number of zero.

I did try I provide guidance as noted by the description of how to check a planetary, how to remove the input shaft snap ring.

You will note how I have never chimed into a discussion on the operation of an Allison as it is not my expertise. I have some knowledge but not enough to chime in to a thread.

The problem here is that nothing I say is necessarily wrong, but that there is no way for me to "win" my case, since you are Duramax royalty and I am a minion.

Fact is, I pissed you off when I noted that that first pic of the tone wheel that was blurry and looked bad and the subsequent 4 showed that it was in fact not that bad and you won't let that go.

Of course, it takes a big man to admit when he's wrong and no one is perfect, right? But you can't do that can you? Similar to when you hung me out to dry on that LML build last week.

Anyways, enough ranting I'm done. I'll bow out gracefully from this board and never comment again. Goodbye.

You're wrong. You never pissed me off. As far as the picture of the tone wheel; I said I wouldn't use it over. Remember what I said about pictures. I don't trust them.
Your tech tips were in fact good. But the condition of the TF would cost too much money to fix. You and I can buy these parts at wholesale prices but most people can't. Even at that it's not worth it.
What do you want me to admit to that I said wrong?
As far as hanging you out to dry on your LML build, I told you that I could not ship to Canada through UPS until my problem was fixed. I cannot print the paper work for the part to cross the border.
Sorry you're leaving. Maybe you'll change your mind. Hope you do.:D

496 BB

Head Thread De-Railer
Feb 20, 2009
At your girlfriends house
Well ordered it from Transfer Case Express today. $1350 shipped with return core shipping. Not bad. They also use the aluminum rear case so they say that eliminates the pump rub issues. Hope so since it doenst have the ring inside.

Thanks for all the help.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Good deal man. I just got mine back together and in today. All in all I was into it 400 bucks. Hope she lasts another 200k!

Disposableincome

Aug 25, 2014
Planning on tearing into my case here sometime soon, I have the merchant pump rub kit to go in and the rear yoke has a fair bit of play. I've been told if the bushing needs replaced 9/10 the yoke does to, sound right?
I see merchant has a deluxe bearing and seal kit, good idea or no? Do the rear yoke bushing come with it? I don't see the busing on merchants site, what's the proper name for it?

Last edited:

jeffro1976

Aug 26, 2014
Michigan
are you talking about a 2 piece drive shaft. cuz my 01' there was a TSB and dealer changed it to a one piece no charge. think it was still under warrenty then don't know if it applies to you