LBZ: Trans build prep

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
Alright, so I had originally hoped for a mike l built trans. Wife said no to a road trip, so I'm either building myself or taking to a local shop I guess :/

So, here I am pricing out kits when I realize...I have no clue what I really need to make this tranny last.

So heres my plan for the truck:
Keeping it a DD. I work out of town. It needs to behave reasonably close to a stock trans. It will see drags, but only as often as I can get to them, and occasional street stuff. Down the road I will be twinning with an S475 over stock from whirli, so I would like it to handle 600hp.

I don't know much about TC's other then mine will be a Mike L or Goerend TC. I don't know what stall would be best for me, but I know that's what forums are for, advice. So I'm open to suggestions.
Suncoast Gmax6-Plus kit. Is a transgo all that's required fr te hydraulics? I thought I read somewhere mike as his own, are these available through purchase or only when he builds the trans?
I recall something about springs in the bottom of the tranny, mike l has these as a kit, but I can't find these. Are they a good idea?
I'm not changing input/output shafts, truck will never see power levels high enough. My 150hp tune on stock trans is plenty of ompf, hitting 600 will be more then I really need, but it will be fun :)

Hope there's enough info. Any suggestions to what I have listed, or not listed, please let me know.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Where in BC? There's MPL Motorsports in Lacombe, AB. Not sure how far that would be for you. Ted built my trans 4 years and 60,000 km ago.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I bought the alligator stage 5 kit with the precision ml converter. Te kit come with everything needed for average joe 600 horse.

If i were to do it again or if my trans ever comes back out it will Definitely be getting the mike l pressure spring and a modified converter flow valve so there is 0 line pressure drop when the converter locks.

The transgo come with shims for the stock pressure spring and also it comes with a modified converter flow valve but the trans go one still drops about 40 psi when lockup happens. The mike l pressure spring and converter flow valves are better.

I would also be getting a sun coast converter over the ml converter. My precision ml converter has been nothing but good for me and i like it alot but next time around, it will be suncoast.

I built mine myself over a year ago and it has never had a single issue and has never limped once. It has countless 12 second drag passes on it with about 15,000 street miles and its still going strong.

Built Allison's behave nicely and if you hopped in my truck without knowing my mods, you would never know it was built because it shifts just as smooth as factory until you put your foot to the floor.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
I'm in Prince George. I've heard a lot of people recommend George Hill at Parkhill Transmission. They did work on my last truck. Went in today and asked if they have done work on the Allison's. He has put in 4 or 5 performance transmissions were the guys bring all the parts and he just installs it all. This is the route I will likely take unless funds are tight, then I might give it a go on my own.

Mike, I had originally looked at the alligator stage 5 kit, but I see a lot of people using and recommending the suncoast gmax kits. It may be a little overkill for my needs I guess, so maybe I should revisit an alligator kit.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
If your going to buy a kit, make sure you buy it from someone that can offer great customer support if you need help while building and if you have issues after. That's why mike needs to get off the crapper and get his kit out. His customer service is top notch. :thumb:

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
I might have to look into if mike would build a crate tranny for me, though I'm not sure how warrantee would work. It would be an option for me, then I get o e of the best trannys out there ;)

Grizz3500

May 28, 2011
Hauser, Idaho
Mike shipped me one of his trans.. Best decision I ever made. Warranty was never in question once I talked to him. Give him a call, You won't regret it.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
I would also be getting a sun coast converter over the ml converter. My precision ml converter has been nothing but good for me and i like it alot but next time around, it will be suncoast.
Why is that? The reason I'm asking is because I have the ML converter as well and like the way the suncoast converter trucks ive ridden in pull better than mine. Its hard to describe but it doesn't seem like mine couples as well just driving around, pulling a hill or whatever.

To the OP. It lt you aren't looking to make huge Hp a good local guy should be able to install a kit that will hold up great. I would recommend suncoast.

abrams

Parts Guru
Aug 20, 2013
B-Town
I see you said something about changing the input and out put shafts. I am not a transmission tech but my father work for Allison's for over 40 years. From what he told me. The is no real reason to change those shafts. They buy them treated. Then they would make them to their spec and harden them three more times after that. I am sure you could twist them with a right combination but I don't think it possible on the street. I have a MikeL in my truck and I love it. Smooth and can handle the abuse I throw at. Tow, drag what ever.

Alright, so I had originally hoped for a mike l built trans. Wife said no to a road trip, so I'm either building myself or taking to a local shop I guess :/

So, here I am pricing out kits when I realize...I have no clue what I really need to make this tranny last.

So heres my plan for the truck:
Keeping it a DD. I work out of town. It needs to behave reasonably close to a stock trans. It will see drags, but only as often as I can get to them, and occasional street stuff. Down the road I will be twinning with an S475 over stock from whirli, so I would like it to handle 600hp.

I don't know much about TC's other then mine will be a Mike L or Goerend TC. I don't know what stall would be best for me, but I know that's what forums are for, advice. So I'm open to suggestions.
Suncoast Gmax6-Plus kit. Is a transgo all that's required fr te hydraulics? I thought I read somewhere mike as his own, are these available through purchase or only when he builds the trans?
I recall something about springs in the bottom of the tranny, mike l has these as a kit, but I can't find these. Are they a good idea?
I'm not changing input/output shafts, truck will never see power levels high enough. My 150hp tune on stock trans is plenty of ompf, hitting 600 will be more then I really need, but it will be fun :)

Hope there's enough info. Any suggestions to what I have listed, or not listed, please let me know.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Why is that? The reason I'm asking is because I have the ML converter as well and like the way the suncoast converter trucks ive ridden in pull better than mine. Its hard to describe but it doesn't seem like mine couples as well just driving around, pulling a hill or whatever.

To the OP. It lt you aren't looking to make huge Hp a good local guy should be able to install a kit that will hold up great. I would recommend suncoast.

Bump for my question.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Well, I'm revisiting and stashing cash after I limped my trans for the first time today. 270k km on the stock trans. Just did a trans service and transgo install to boot. Had planned on doing exhaust and DP but I think that's gonna be on hold while I save the dough to build. I lack the workspace and tools and especially time, so I think I'm just going to get a kit installed or else peace it together as originally planned. Have to get a quote from Mike L nw, but I have 2 options locally as well. Local shop offering ATS trans, which I haven't heard much about. Or piece together and take to a local builder.

If not Mike L, I'm leaning at the G-Max 6-3 kit still, Mike L pressure spring and control valves. Still undecided on TC and haven't figured out what stall speed is. Mike have a kit yet??

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
And back I come to revive the topic.

So I have this vibration, start at about 120km/h (70ish mph) for as long as my foot is buried into it. It leaves when I back out of it. If I'm easy ish on the throttle, like 50-75% throttle, there is no vibration and I can pin the speedo. Does this sound like a TC issue? If so...I'm starting a shopping list and phoning Mike L for a quote on a crate trans...