The Rebuild, Ch. 1 "Parts list"

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Gonna have to sell a kidney, or maybe a kid to add those, though. Hmmmm....

pm me a price and specs on the kid. Wife is talking about adopting, this might be cheaper/easier. I dont know if it will help your build much tho. Neighbor keeps trying to give us their kid and if someone is giving it away cant be worth much.

:rofl:

buildingup

Jan 1, 2010
Washington, Mi
Toward the end of the month. I just finished up the kitchen trimwork (YEAH!), next up is either fix the Cavalier in the garage for a 3rd car or buy my nephew's S10 for transport while the truck is down.

I figure the truck will be down a month.

I figured your wife would kill you if you added a new car to the fleet. Does your truck even fit into the garage? Looked a little tight. Like I stated before if you need a truck your more then welcome to steal mine.

Can't wait to see it running down the strip again!

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Julian, Im still surprised that she was so "cool" about me hurting the truck and having to rebuild. I figured Id be a dead man.

I'll pull a UPS and use a carp to cover the garage door while I pull the motor. Then push the truck out and start tearing the engine down.

Cavalier was an idiotic re-purchase from 8 years ago. It was her first car.
I do have to get rid of that LeBaron, though. Its not worth anything. Its been sitting in there for --gawd --9 years? But I wonder what a good 2.2turbo motor is worth?

Last edited:

buildingup

Jan 1, 2010
Washington, Mi
Julian, Im still surprised that she was so "cool" about me hurting the truck and having to rebuild. I figured Id be a dead man.

I'll pull a UPS and use a carp to cover the garage door while I pull the motor. Then push the truck out and start tearing the engine down.

Cavalier was an idiotic re-purchase from 8 years ago. It was her first car.
I do have to get rid of that LeBaron, though. Its not worth anything. Its been sitting in there for --gawd --9 years? But I wonder what a good 2.2turbo motor is worth?

Could always make a little dune buggy or something with the 2.2.

But again good luck with the build. If you don't mind I'd like to drop in when you start tearing into it though so I could learn a little more. Don't know crap about motors.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Could always make a little dune buggy or something with the 2.2.

But again good luck with the build. If you don't mind I'd like to drop in when you start tearing into it though so I could learn a little more. Don't know crap about motors.

Youre always welcome to come over. PM me your phone number so I can give you a heads up.

guess we ought to have the 2nd annual at Toms

If my garage was empty...that would be interesting. If you're still serious about Feb 20th, I think we could do it.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
BTW guys, what is the recommendation on replacing the oil pump? Engine still maintains excellent oil pressure right now.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
BTW guys, what is the recommendation on replacing the oil pump? Engine still maintains excellent oil pressure right now.

If you plan on putting alot of miles on it after build i would replace it , real pain to do it later, pretty much have to pull the motor to do it .

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Thanks Trent. I figured as much.

Next question: Do you take the rear cover off the engine before bolting it to the engine stand? Yeah, stupid question...but Ive only ever seen a Dmax on a stand that used the engine mounts...not the rear block bolts.

Also, block rear bolt holes 10mm or 12mm?

Last edited:

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
Thanks Trent. I figured as much.

Next question: Do you take the rear cover off the engine before bolting it to the engine stand? Yeah, stupid question...but Ive only ever seen a Dmax on a stand that used the engine mounts...not the rear block bolts.

Also, block rear bolt holes 10mm or 12mm?

It's better to mount the engine from the block then the adapter plate. I've mounted it from the adapter plate before but it's kind of scary as it can pull the threads out.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Yep...workin on the Cav. Cougar got me the torque numbers I was searching for, so I can get it finished.

As for the truck, DmaxVaz gave me a new set of main bolts Saturday. I have to get him some paypal. We'll see how this all goes.

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
good luck Tom, i'm pretty sure im not far from a similar situation. cant wait to see what you can achieve when the build is finished!!!

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Tom, I'd have the injectors tested while they are out with 156k on them. Save some headache down the road.

I was actually thinking it would be smart to just install Bosch reman ones. Will definitely eat up a chunk of change, but hell of a lot smarter than having to do it later.

I have always wondered if this set has larger nozzles, though. May have them tested just to find that out.