The Rebuild, Ch. 1 "Parts list"

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Damn. thats about $700 in gaskets. "Duramax diesel" really is a synonym for "gourmet"

Hahahahahahaha! :rofl::D Thats the funniest line ive read in quite a while!:rofl::thumb:

Hope you rebuild goes smooth as ice Tom! You have some self-restraint! Im the "oh well, while im in here" kind of guy and thats hard on the wallet!

I would really be lookin at delipping the slugs and at least some entry level head studs for insurance. Better to have and not need than the alternative!

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
FWIW I purchased my gaskets from Henry and it was cheap!

another thing to consider is you can purchase a metric o-ring kit for cheap and use them instead of the overpriced GM ones for most of the build ( not on the injector cups)

Slick

Jan 9, 2007
I don't have my receipts in front of me but I think I did better than 700 on all the gaskets. Don't forget your injector return line seals, don't think I saw them on your list.

I'm in the process of doing pretty much the exact same thing that you are Tom, only I just bought a complete LMM shortblock to swap in. I didn't go with headstuds either. Just my opinion but I don't know how much I would jack with compression ratio with a stock turbo either. If you plan on chasing down the stock record again next year you might want all the c/r you can get? I'm a little worried about going from 17.5 to 16.8 in my build. Actually a little less since I went with c's on both heads, and one side actually called for a B grade gasket...

On edit: Site is running slow for some reason... I second whoever said to get the heads checked out. My springs were within spec, but they did replace one exhaust valve.

Last edited:

blue68383

Shooting for 11s
May 15, 2008
CA
I don't have my receipts in front of me but I think I did better than 700 on all the gaskets. Don't forget your injector return line seals, don't think I saw them on your list.

I'm in the process of doing pretty much the exact same thing that you are Tom, only I just bought a complete LMM shortblock to swap in. I didn't go with headstuds either. Just my opinion but I don't know how much I would jack with compression ratio with a stock turbo either. If you plan on chasing down the stock record again next year you might want all the c/r you can get? I'm a little worried about going from 17.5 to 16.8 in my build. Actually a little less since I went with c's on both heads, and one side actually called for a B grade gasket...

On edit: Site is running slow for some reason... I second whoever said to get the heads checked out. My springs were within spec, but they did replace one exhaust valve.

If you're using an LMM shortblock, stock compression is 16.5 isnt it? You guys arent worried about the problems with LBZ/LMM pistons I keep hearing about? What about keying the crank and cam while you have it apart Tom. Is that not a big issue?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
If you're using an LMM shortblock, stock compression is 16.5 isnt it? You guys arent worried about the problems with LBZ/LMM pistons I keep hearing about? What about keying the crank and cam while you have it apart Tom. Is that not a big issue?

LBZ/LMM stock compression ratio is 16.8:1

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
I think for a guy that uses his truck everyday and not looking to set the world on fire and make huge power the lbz rods are a good choice in my opinion with lb7/lly pistons.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Guys,

Not everyone wants/needs a full-on $15,000 race motor, especially in a daily driven, ordinary truck. Im one of those guys.
Those kind of builds are fun to watch happen, but not when you are the one having to buy the parts.
I appreciate the "if it were me" posts, but the extras just arent going to happen.
Im sorry if that disappoints you all. Trust me, Im disappointed I have to build it in the first place. :(

As it is, all thats going to be done is LBZ rods, keyed cam/crank, and maybe cut the pistons. A lot will depend on what we find when we go into it. I may need injectors. I could find the pistons are flowered and Ill need new ones. Heck, the bores could be screwed up. I may find the caps were walking and I have to go with main studs. As Trent found in his motor, a valve or two could be bent. I just need to get my parts list together first.

Last edited:

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
Either way Tom the route your taking makes the most sense for the average guy. When the time comes this will be the route I'll take also. Good luck witht he build and when it's all done make sure you get your downpipe to fit:D

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I received some offers of parts from a few members. Thanks guys...I appreciate it.

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
I think for a guy that uses his truck everyday and not looking to set the world on fire and make huge power the lbz rods are a good choice in my opinion with lb7/lly pistons.
That's my choice on a combo. Tom, Looking forward to following this, To me the person who saves the most coin is more impressive than the one who spends it. No offense to the ones that can afford it, I just couldn't.

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
That's my choice on a combo. Tom, Looking forward to following this, To me the person who saves the most coin is more impressive than the one who spends it. No offense to the ones that can afford it, I just couldn't.

Thanks. We'll see. I figure I have to make 585rwhp to get my 11.99 goal. LBZ rods should get me there...hopefully more than once. Tuning will be a HUGE factor, and Nick and I have already talked about finally tweaking "my" tune to lessen cyl pressure, since the original "12.40" tune was never touched as I kept getting faster. Never, ever again will I be as trusting with other tuning as I was last year. I would love to rent one of Jon's cyl pressure monitors during tuning. I can still cut some weight from the truck when the time comes.

Id LOVE to be able to afford Crower rods, but its just not gonna happen.

My list right now includes:

LBZ rod bolts \
LB7 head bolts - ya know, torque-to-yield bolts just sucks ass
LB7 main bolts /
LB7 rear cover, front cover sets
Rod bearings
Main bearings
C headgaskets (we'll see what I really need at teardown..hell, it could be A's)
possibly valve cover gaskets, w/p gaskets, etc
1 tube GM engine sealant

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Whose tuning were you running on your 12.28 pass? You going to be doing anything with your injectors?