The Rebuild, Ch. 1 "Parts list"

maine04max

Dec 11, 2008
Good luck with your build Tom , I believe the valve cover gaskets can be reused rite???

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Whose tuning were you running on your 12.28 pass? You going to be doing anything with your injectors?
Danville. Dont get me started....Ill sound like Ben talking about rods. It was my mistake.

Ive debated running bigger injectors, as it would help keep pulse and timing down. But then if I start with the hard parts, I may as well go big. Its kinda a catch-22 in my situation. I do think I need to replace my 156,000 mile OEM's, though.

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I just read about the flywheel/flexplate bolts needing to be replaced, so add that to the list.

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
what does your truck weight tom? i wish at 585 hp i could ran an 11
I figured 6450 this year. I can still lose 50+ lbs (rear bumper and other misc crap). I also have more experience with suspension setup (thanks to all you guys, esp Trent) and I will be running drag radials next year. Launching isnt a problem now.

One other thing is my plans always were to run RDL uppipes and a p-n-p'd turbo, so that cost had to be figured into the equation. Id love to be able to run manifolds, too. Gonna have to sell a kidney, or maybe a kid to add those, though. Hmmmm....

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Tom, I have both front and rear main seal installer tools. You can borrow them if you need.

maine04max

Dec 11, 2008
Not to add your hard earned $$$$$ Tom , but dont they recommend replacing the cam bolt too?

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
when is this getting started tom???

Toward the end of the month. I just finished up the kitchen trimwork (YEAH!), next up is either fix the Cavalier in the garage for a 3rd car or buy my nephew's S10 for transport while the truck is down.

I figure the truck will be down a month.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Not to add your hard earned $$$$$ Tom , but dont they recommend replacing the cam bolt too?

Ok, add that to the list. See what I mean about how I hate torque-to-yield? You shouldnt have to replace every damn fastener in an engine unless you are doing studs. Hell, whats next? One-use valve cover bolts?

Thanks for the tool offers guys.

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Tom in my own opinion, if it was my truck, you are fine reusing the crank and cam bolts....

The only bolts that I would never reuse on the engine are flywheel bolts, head bolts, and main bolts.

ben

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I bought a little S10 when I was building my motor the first time, and it came in really handy to haul parts to and from the machine shop. Gets pretty decent mileage too.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Tom why don't you call me about the gaskets and bolts. Also I have the tool you could use and ship back to me. Why not just do head studs and get it over with now. Also yes replace front and rear main seals also I have the cam bolts balancer bolt will be fine the lbz was TTY now there all the same and not TTY. If you take your time Tom a work slow and clean you can save alot of the gaskets and just replace most of the o-ring seals.