Sump Location suggestions

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Finally getting around to adding a fuel tank sump. I tried searching some but didn't find much on the "best" location for the sump. Any suggestions.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
What brands have you guys found to be good quality? Nice some dont require dropping the tank! Hellman, XDP, Alligator??? I'm in the market myself. Sorry dont mean to hijack the thread just hoping some can answer this question as well in their responses. Thanks:thumb:

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
I really like alligators.
Done about 9 or so of them & always have good success.
I always do it right under the factory pickup

zeke38

Sep 29, 2009
Newark, IL
Alligator. Under factory pickup
mahatu2e.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
My Hellman is going in in the spring prob under the factory pickup. What kind of sealant are you guys using?

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
irc, when i put my DRP sump in, i would have put it in about 2" forward of center, maybe 3.

This way you miss the level sending unit and put the sump in the lowest position possible, i measured to dead center and put the pilot hole there and holesawed in, and when the hole opened up i wished i put it in a few inches forward. I was just forward of center of being under the sending unit, i missed it cuz i was pretty gentle, and actually was pulling back on the bit as it dug thru. There are two layers to the tank, the outer black and inner opaque liner, you will see the plastic shavings change color and you know your close.

No matter what, you will encounter fuel spillage, have some kitty litter handy, i dont even own a cat, but always have cat litter!

The sump will seep, just tighten it every so often like a wheel lug pattern and eventually it will stop, i had to re tighten mine 2 times after install

A fumoto valve or some kind of ball valve would be nice for service, since now the fuel is gravity fed, servicing the air dog has become nascar efficient.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Cocoal....if you look at the profile of the tank in the truck, you'll see that the front of the tank is actually the lowest spot becuase it is raked. Not that it matters...because the sump has a "bowl" that will not starve the pump of fuel in nearly any application. For racing, putting the sump in the rear of the tank would make the most sense for those running little to no fuel at the track. The same principle is why most mount fuel cells with the sump and lines facing rearward

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I ran mine a little bit aft since I like to run with 1/8th of a tank at the track. I had issues with the sump jelling up since water is heavy and if you get bad fuel it will seek that. Think for up north I'm going to put a sump on that is deep, but has the outlet line towards the top and has a drain in it, so if it ices up I can heat it and drain the water/bad fuel out the bottom of it

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
irc, when i put my DRP sump in, i would have put it in about 2" forward of center, maybe 3.

This way you miss the level sending unit and put the sump in the lowest position possible, i measured to dead center and put the pilot hole there and holesawed in, and when the hole opened up i wished i put it in a few inches forward..

Cocoal....if you look at the profile of the tank in the truck, you'll see that the front of the tank is actually the lowest spot becuase it is raked. Not that it matters...because the sump has a "bowl" that will not starve the pump of fuel in nearly any application. For racing, putting the sump in the rear of the tank would make the most sense for those running little to no fuel at the track. The same principle is why most mount fuel cells with the sump and lines facing rearward

Nice points about running the lines rearward and mounting in the back of the tank, im guessing cuz the fuel will collect there while flying down the track right...

Anyways, we agree about putting the sump forward of center if trying to get the lowest point, so it would seem...;)