Question: Spring clamp location?

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I definitely love the idea of traction bars. I'll end up with some eventually, but like you said I don't think they would solve the current issue. Or maybe they would, I really don't know. Right now the money is for trans and an airdog 4g.

The bracket things look like they are 8 years old and from the northeast. As in, they are still present.

I just grabbed a set of clamps, I figure it's worth a shot to see if it has any impact at all. Other than a wicked bounce at 45 the truck runs well, can definitely feel the axle wrap some. I think the bounce is the frame beaming, but I'm sure crappy spring condition won't help that. I have the new rear can mounts but haven't found the time to throw em in.

Thanks

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
The u bolts are good and tight. The passenger side makes less noise, but has the overload springs slightly outboard at the ends. The center pin is there.

I've got a fifth wheel brace in there if that might effect the leave springs. That SOB is flippin tight, so not a cause of noise unless in the way of something

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I'm kind of surprised, but the clamps made a Massive difference, massive. The leaf clunk is 95% gone, the axle wrap feels non existent across the board and the ride is definitely more controlled. Beaming still present but diminished. All in all, best $20 I've spent on my truck thus far, and I also know my leaf springs are in need of some attention or replacement.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
have you tried the leaf spring wear pads that separate each leaf? my 07 had an odd clunk at low speeds. I played with the spacing, bought new pads, and clunk was gone when new pads were in place.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Front or rear clamped? I haven't tried the rear yet, wanted to get a decent amount of street time and get a few decent track passes then switch to the rear clamped so I could make a discernable (if any) difference.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I clamped the front, approx 6 inches forward of the axle. I put them as far forward as their 2.5" width would allow.

I'm shocked at the difference. I think I'll probably end up with new leafs eventually rather than trying to fix these. But in the meantime Im thrilled to have addressed the issue, and for short money.

I didn't measure the height, but the rear end seems a bit lower. The ride is stiffer, but it was too loose before. I noticed a significant, no BS significant difference in handling. And the suspension is cycling drastically smoother. So while it is stiffer, it's riding much better.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I'd be curious to hear if you like the front or rear better. I'll try to switch them in a week or so. I'm giddy over this hahah

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I have mine closer to the tip of the spring, just shy of the hole for the plastic pad. I'm sure that will make a difference, also won't make it to the track until September 23rd but will try and give an update / times.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I don't recall a difference in ride to tell you the truth its been 6 years though. But an empty 3/4ton is always going to be harsh over tracks and speed bumps. IMO

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I agree, but I daily drove my truck for years with no clamps and after I put them on it was VERY noticeable. I'll switch them around and see if the ride changes, but won't be until after I get some track data.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Spring clamp trucks ride like hell. I have yet to be in one that rode smooth as a truck without them lol

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I was just talking about this to a buddy today. I'm down to the top and bottom spring not the overload so just 2 springs and my truck is super soft, read that guys on the older leaf spring cars take the factory rear spring clamps off and put bolt on one's on the front. The theory there is when the back of the car lifts pushing the axle down into the road, the removal or the rear clamps let's the car rise farther. I guess therefore letting it plant longer on the launch. Not that a 2500 is gonna respond in the exact same Manner. But these guys were also running caltracs. I'm making some clamps this upcoming week and wasn't sure what to do, I think I'm just gonna try then on the front.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I decided to add rear clamps as well. New brakes are going in and I want that axle to stay put until I can get new springs.

Only took it for a quick jaunt this far, but it made an impact. Truck takes the bumps like I expect now, hard, but no bouncy bs after the fact. These will do for now :)

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I attempted to do some testing yesterday at the track adjusting the spring clamps but only got 2 passes in, was busy helping the old man with his Camaro.

Truck ran 8.48 1/8mi, 82mph, 1.91 60ft leaving at 10psi. Tried to leave harder on the second pass and it started to spin (only aired down to 35psi). Really needs different tires for the track (285/70/17 Hankook RF10s) IMO. For whatever reason I can get it to leave harder on the street with no fuss. I also wonder if part of the issue is the tight staging lanes at that track, you can't drive around the water box, anyone had problems like this with water staying on the front tires?

Won't get to do any more passes till spring time more than likely.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
I attempted to do some testing yesterday at the track adjusting the spring clamps but only got 2 passes in, was busy helping the old man with his Camaro.

Truck ran 8.48 1/8mi, 82mph, 1.91 60ft leaving at 10psi. Tried to leave harder on the second pass and it started to spin (only aired down to 35psi). Really needs different tires for the track (285/70/17 Hankook RF10s) IMO. For whatever reason I can get it to leave harder on the street with no fuss. I also wonder if part of the issue is the tight staging lanes at that track, you can't drive around the water box, anyone had problems like this with water staying on the front tires?

Won't get to do any more passes till spring time more than likely.

My truck always launches 10x better on the steeet than at the track. I cut a 1.81 60' last year on stock trans 285/55 hankook dynapro with just clamps on the front.