Question: Spring clamp location?

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
I have a quarter turn of preload, and they ride rougher than stock, bumps (like bridge expansion joints) seem to hit a little harder. I think it is mostly from putting in the aluminum bushing versus the stock rubber bushing in the front spring eye. I have gotten used to it. :D

That's pretty much how I would describe the clamps on the rear of the spring.

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
I cut a 1.64 60' with some cheap u-bolts on the front.

we ran as fast as 1.34 but stayed in the 1.4x with stock springs front clamp only .figuring out how to leave is the deal. go to the track and only run 60ft. 25-30 passes. get it down then make a pass...

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
we ran as fast as 1.34 but stayed in the 1.4x with stock springs front clamp only .figuring out how to leave is the deal. go to the track and only run 60ft. 25-30 passes. get it down then make a pass...

I was blown away when I looked at Buck's rear suspension setup. I couldnt believe that yall were only running clamps and it looked like rancho shocks.:thumb:

Kutchey2

Apr 15, 2011
Don't mean to sound dumb but I can't picture how your clamping them? Can someone post a picture. I would like to try this on my truck. Thanks!

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
So I've got some interesting rapid succession clunks on uneven terrain, especially in reverse. Since clamps are cheap, I figured I'd see if I can get leafs tightened up and also reduce some wrap at the same time.

I've got an '08 lmm CCSB. I don't pull over capacity and I'm not competing. Should I mount front or back? Looking only for less wrap and hopefully less clunkage...

Thanks!

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Not sure where your clunk would be coming from,

But FWIW, with only the front clamped on mine, it will still hop/chatter in reverse on loose dirt or snow. I haven't tried to clamp the rear.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
So I've got some interesting rapid succession clunks on uneven terrain, especially in reverse. Since clamps are cheap, I figured I'd see if I can get leafs tightened up and also reduce some wrap at the same time.

I've got an '08 lmm CCSB. I don't pull over capacity and I'm not competing. Should I mount front or back? Looking only for less wrap and hopefully less clunkage...

Thanks!

You might be better off looking for long bars and better shocks, in your case.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Long bars as in traction bars?

I have new 5100's on there as of March, so I'd doubt it's shocks unless I got a dud.

I've tightened/inspected everything under the truck. The only parts left are those related to the leaf springs. The bushings are crAcked, at least the portions that can be seen. When I give the leafs a good thump with my fist, you can hear the sound reverberate for a second throughout the leaf pack.

From what I can tell, my issue started with creaky leaves. First I sprayed some wd40 rust release in there and it really quieted the creak down, but after a day or so, the creak turned into a clunk. From there I thought, might as well lube them. Now the clunk is rather severe, so much so it sounds as if something is going to fall off. I cleaned up the leaves with brake keen to remove the lube, but the clunk seems here to stay. The clunk only happens when driving at slow speed over grass, sand etc. the occasional large road imperfection will also result in a clunk or two.

On one side, the overload spring ends are outboard of the rest of the leaf pack, on the other, there is more space between the individual leaves, space which used to be filled with rust/grime.

I figure since the clamps are cheap they'd be worth a shot, at least to help troubleshoot a little further. Ultimately I foresee ending up with new leafs, sulastics and a sway bar

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I read in another thread that mcrat advises putting them in the rear, as the rear of the leaf pack is what expands under accel, opposite the force from the turning tire.