So Mike, What's this new 9 speed?

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
Its a Ford sound. The V-10 is obnoxious sounding. I hear Eco-boost Raptors all the time and their obnoxious. I'd rather hear the 6.2's throaty sound.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I thought that is what he was referring to but I couldn’t understand stand why they would want to go to those.

Don’t hate on an ecoboost. Ha I own one and it’s the best truck I’ve ever had. Minus the fact you can’t you can’t make them sound good. Why ford doesn’t have forced induction on a 5.0 to slap in a raptor is beyond me.

If you think about it; small cubic inch engine like a 2 liter doesn't make much power. So you put a turbo on it to make power. Now you put an 8 or 9 speed trans behind it for mileage with a low first gear for tq so it can get out of its way. At 42 mph you are in 8th gear and the engine is at 1100rpm. Roll into the throttle and see what happens. Nothing, without a 2 or 3 gear drop down. The turbo will never enter the picture at that rpm and you are dead.

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
I gotcha. I just always assumed (I know it’s never smart to do that) that a turbo would be better for a daily driver.

I’m sure with technology we have now a supercharger can be just as effective as a turbo.

Sorry for the derail.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I gotcha. I just always assumed (I know it’s never smart to do that) that a turbo would be better for a daily driver.

I’m sure with technology we have now a supercharger can be just as effective as a turbo.

Sorry for the derail.

You did not derail. :D You asked a good question.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If you think about it; small cubic inch engine like a 2 liter doesn't make much power. So you put a turbo on it to make power. Now you put an 8 or 9 speed trans behind it for mileage with a low first gear for tq so it can get out of its way. At 42 mph you are in 8th gear and the engine is at 1100rpm. Roll into the throttle and see what happens. Nothing, without a 2 or 3 gear drop down. The turbo will never enter the picture at that rpm and you are dead.

And some times more than 3 gear change and depending on transmission, it could be a couple seconds before the thing makes 3 or 4 gear changes. Pretty sure Jon has told you about the Cherokee 2.5 sec dead pedal from this issue :rofl:

There is a new turbo small displacement engine an auto mfg is trying to make work and have the torque of a twin screw supercharger. They are finding out fast what happens when you put too tight of a housing on a small turbo

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I’ve never been a huge fan of turbos on gassers, but diesels are where it’s at. This discussion brings up a good point about these 9 and 10 speed transmissions on them. Are we going to see a change to superchargers on them too? Towing I doubt there would be an issue with continuing to use a turbo. However daily driving an quick shifting 9 speed trans you’re never going to be able to load up the truck enough to put that turbo to work. Maybe it won’t be too much of an issue with a good flow engine (L5P heads) and a VVT turbo.

I see Detroit making a comeback....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I’ve never been a huge fan of turbos on gassers, but diesels are where it’s at. This discussion brings up a good point about these 9 and 10 speed transmissions on them. Are we going to see a change to superchargers on them too? Towing I doubt there would be an issue with continuing to use a turbo. However daily driving an quick shifting 9 speed trans you’re never going to be able to load up the truck enough to put that turbo to work. Maybe it won’t be too much of an issue with a good flow engine (L5P heads) and a VVT turbo.

I see Detroit making a comeback....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No turbo required until 3rd gear. New trans is electric hydrolic first and second gear I believe, engine will probably strart in second and take over in 3rd. It will be the tits for repo men... Lol...

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Couldn't they just use skip shifting, assuming the transmission supports it, to get around the downshifting from 9>8>7>6 and instead go 9>6?

What I would really like to see is more automatic standard transmissions and do away with the torque converter. Kind of like the DSG transmission in the VWs. I have one in my TDI and I love it. Just need to make one big and strong enough for a truck and have the right gear spacing and I think it would be sweet.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
You're referring to a dual clutch setup. They work great and shift lightning fast and handle hp well. However, they cannot handle tq like our trucks produce.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Yes, thats the one. Forgot the name for a while

In stock form I know the DSG from vw can handle 300lb/ft and its about the size of a milk crate, so if you locked a bunch of engineers in a room they can for sure come up with a larger one for our trucks that can deal with the torque of our engines.

Not likely to happen anytime soon. but one can dream right?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
So back to the original topic of the thread. GM released an announcement on the 2020 HD trucks today. Looks like the Duramax will be mated to a 10 speed Allison, and the gassers will be stuck with a 6 speed. Any info on the new trans?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I would like to know more about this 10 speed Allison too. Is it a whole new animal or a reworked 1000 series?

DuramaxRamRod

Oct 11, 2014
NH
They are basing the new trans off of the Hellcat 8 speed. The Hellcat ZF 8HP90 is probably the best car and light duty trans made. It's known for holding 1K horsepower in stock form. We shall see.
How do the lower rated models found in the Durangos and Jeeps hold up?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
So back to the original topic of the thread. GM released an announcement on the 2020 HD trucks today. Looks like the Duramax will be mated to a 10 speed Allison, and the gassers will be stuck with a 6 speed. Any info on the new trans?

More info has come out. The new 10 speed is not an allison design, but instead is a GM design that was tested, certified, and branded by Allison, but built entirely by GM. Only the 4500/5500/6500 will get the actual Allison transmission. So most are speculating that this is the 10r140 from the Ford/GM trans venture, and they sent it over to Allison to have it branded so they can continue to use the DURAMAX/ALLISON combo as a selling point.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
More info has come out. The new 10 speed is not an allison design, but instead is a GM design that was tested, certified, and branded by Allison, but built entirely by GM. Only the 4500/5500/6500 will get the actual Allison transmission. So most are speculating that this is the 10r140 from the Ford/GM trans venture, and they sent it over to Allison to have it branded so they can continue to use the DURAMAX/ALLISON combo as a selling point.
Where did you read that? If it is true, I wonder if Ford will start saying they have an Allison in their Super Duty trucks.