So Mike, What's this new 9 speed?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
Wow, that's gonna be a big gas engine. I'd like to know more about it?

How do you figure? We had the 7.4L for decades, then went to the 8.1L gas/allison combo that was phenomenal in motorhomes.

Dodge had a gas 8.0L V10 from 94-03.

Ford had the 6.8L V10 up until a few years ago BUT I think they are bringing it back for the medium duty market. After it left the pickup truck scene they kept it around as it was apparently sought after in the medium duty market.

That said, with today's technology I don't see why it can't be done.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
There is a lot of talk at Ford about a new 427 ci engine coming for trucks. Supposedly the plant is being tooled for it.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Gasoline: the current models’ 6.0L V8 L96 will be replaced with a new 6.6L V-8 gasoline engine making around 400 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque, mated to:
A new GM 8-speed heavy duty automatic transmission for Sierra 2500HD models
A new 9-speed Allison heavy duty automatic transmission for Sierra 3500HD models
Diesel: the 6.6L Duramax Diesel L5P engine introduced for the 2017 Sierra HD will likely carry over with 445 horsepower and 910 pound-feet of torque mated to a new 9-speed Allison heavy duty automatic transmission

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gmc/sierra/2020-gmc-sierra/2020-gmc-sierra-hd/#ixzz5YCzzqd3o
I wouldn't take any of that as gospel truth.

Following is speculative and unconfirmed information about the 2020 GMC Sierra HD. This page is a continuous work-in-progress and will be updated on a regular basis as we await official details from General Motors and GMC.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
How do you figure? We had the 7.4L for decades, then went to the 8.1L gas/allison combo that was phenomenal in motorhomes.

Ford had the 6.8L V10 up until a few years ago BUT I think they are bringing it back for the medium duty market. After it left the pickup truck scene they kept it around as it was apparently sought after in the medium duty market.

Ford has always had the v-10 available in cab and chassis models. We’ve been running them at work for years.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
Ford has always had the v-10 available in cab and chassis models. We’ve been running them at work for years.

Hmm, thought they did away with it a few years ago. Anyway, larger displacement gas motors are not out of the realm of feasibility, especially with direct injection. The emissions levels are now achievable with these larger power plants.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach

That was only so they could acheive desired torque and horsepower way back when. I was hoping Detroit would get away from high horsepower low displacement engines they have been trending to is all I was thinking. I'm excited about it.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The manufacturers are going to start moving away from turbos on the smaller cars and start using twin screws.

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
I thought that is what he was referring to but I couldn’t understand stand why they would want to go to those.

Don’t hate on an ecoboost. Ha I own one and it’s the best truck I’ve ever had. Minus the fact you can’t you can’t make them sound good. Why ford doesn’t have forced induction on a 5.0 to slap in a raptor is beyond me.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I thought that is what he was referring to but I couldn’t understand stand why they would want to go to those.

Don’t hate on an ecoboost. Ha I own one and it’s the best truck I’ve ever had. Minus the fact you can’t you can’t make them sound good. Why ford doesn’t have forced induction on a 5.0 to slap in a raptor is beyond me.

I get really good economy with my tvs1900 on my 5.3 and they make a smaller displacement engine feel lager, especially in the torque department down low. My 5.3 acts more like a 402 than it does a 326. I like them, pro chargers are cool also don't get me wrong, just diffrent power band.

The way they sound is the major reason I dislike them, tuned/exhaust Eco boost are everywhere here.