Seriously?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Ever seen oil come out like this?

[YOUTUBE]8EwmssNS3SY[/YOUTUBE]
Previous oil changes all came out normal, then the vehicle barely got driven for the last 6 months. Decided to change the oil based on time (6 months), but it only had 1,012 miles on the oil. That's 15W40.
DSC_0262.jpg
It appears to be the consistency of black pancake batter. The strange thing is if you rub it on your fingers, the "blobs" disappear (you can't feel them). We also heated a bit of up, and as soon as it gets hot, it turns liquid and clear(er) just like it should have looked to begin with. Oil pressure was good (not high, not low, same as always), no weird behavior, everything seems to run great both before and after this change. No missing coolant, doesn't appear to have any fuel in it. We cut the filter open, and it looks fine. No metal, not crushed or damaged.

Anyone seen anything like this? :confused::confused:

Attachments

• DSC_0262.jpg
    DSC_0262.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 159

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
No, and I really never want to. Which brand oil was that?
Delo 400, and a Wix filter.

I have run Delo 400 in my truck (and my dad's, and my mom's, and my brother's) for nearly a decade now, and none of us have never seen anything like this before. My thought is maybe this was a bad batch? I've seen crap like Penzoil come out of an engine looking better than this.

I can't figure out what would have caused the oil to turn into this, and why it goes back to normal when you heat it up. I don't see any steam come off, so I don't think there is water it in. But the vehicle barely got driven, so maybe that's all it is?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Delo 400, and a Wix filter.

I have run Delo 400 in my truck (and my dad's, and my mom's, and my brother's) for nearly a decade now, and none of us have never seen anything like this before. My thought is maybe this was a bad batch? I've seen crap like Penzoil come out of an engine looking better than this.

I can't figure out what would have caused the oil to turn into this, and why it goes back to normal when you heat it up. I don't see any steam come off, so I don't think there is water it in. But the vehicle barely got driven, so maybe that's all it is?

My Dad owned a small repair shop and we would see Delo 400 trucks come in like this from time to time. We stored our bulk oil in a unheated building and at -10F the delo would come out in clumps and blobs. The Rotella would pour but was obviously thick. I have never been a fan of delo. I know lots of people run it without issue but I just never cared for what it looked like coming out and clumpiness when it would get cold. This was 20 years ago and I would have hoped they would have fixed this by now but maybe not?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I would switch brands. If I had oil come out like that at under 3k I wouldn't use it. Just my opinion though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I'm thinking about it really strongly. In my truck, however, I've never had anything like that happen, including when the motor sat in a barn for 3 years while I acquired parts to build it.

I'm not sure if I should let someone else's one weird oil change put me off years of flawless service in all my vehicles. Still concerning...

Sent from my FlashScan V2

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
This winner is in front of me, bouncing all over the road at 40 MPH.
20e35f2bf2ce9cc4d2dc101db522f519.jpg

Hard to see because my cell phone can't zoom for crap, but that's a single chain from one side of the trailer, over the 2" ball in his hitch, and to the other side. He then pinched it with a binder, causing it to kind of get a little tight. I'm staying way back, because that truck is bouncing all over. Hence the crappy photo.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I would get a sample of that oil sent off. Only time I have seen oil like that it was contaminated or ran way to long. Delo is a great oil, but I would defiantly want some answers on this. I've ran Dino Delo over 16K on my truck and the analysis didn't come back bad.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I would get a sample of that oil sent off. Only time I have seen oil like that it was contaminated or ran way to long. Delo is a great oil, but I would defiantly want some answers on this. I've ran Dino Delo over 16K on my truck and the analysis didn't come back bad.
I did take a sample. I'll post the results. I've run as much as 12k on Delo 400 before I built my motor, and it always came back great as well.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
At least it's pulling towards the truck not away from it. I've seen them pulling away from the truck and you know it's just a matter of time before a bump and the chain pops off the ball.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
This bad boy rolled through for an emissions test. Typical clapped out Dodge. Only need that one chrome tow mirror right? ? :rofl: it also had an old Edge fueling box plugged in and just sitting on the floor mat where it looks like it's been kicked about 230 times.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
I wish I could upload the video I saw on Facebook. Had a compilation of photos where people fixed their vehicles in some pretty obsurd ways. It would go perfectly in this thread.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk