S472 vs danville 72

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Sounds good. Gonna be installing tomorrow. Also, my tuner may be busy and wont have the tunes done right away, which I dont expect him to but will my truck limp with it throwing the vvt codes. Or will I be able to drive it just fine other than check engine light?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Sounds good. Gonna be installing tomorrow. Also, my tuner may be busy and wont have the tunes done right away, which I dont expect him to but will my truck limp with it throwing the vvt codes. Or will I be able to drive it just fine other than check engine light?

That all depends on how your tune is written.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Subd for results. Hopefully it'll help me make my decision know what I want to upgrade to...

On a side note, does the torque converter stall speed only have an effect on lighting the turbo from a stop? Will a lower stall speed have any effect on lighting a turbo on a dd application?

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Subd for results. Hopefully it'll help me make my decision know what I want to upgrade to...

On a side note, does the torque converter stall speed only have an effect on lighting the turbo from a stop? Will a lower stall speed have any effect on lighting a turbo on a dd application?

No & yes.
Stall speed is how high you can get the rpms without the truck pushing through the brakes. Coupling has more to do with how the truck drives. A lower stall speed will be helpful on a stock turbo type setup. The bigger the charger, the looser you want the TC. You want the engine and turbo to do more work before the TC starts to couple. If you put a low stall on a big turbo, the truck will be a total pig to drive because the trans tries to do more work than the motor. A low stall on a VVT or small twins will get the load moving faster because the motor doesnt have to do as much work to get the charger(s) going.
I'm a novice when it comes to transmissions so hopefully that came out right.:)

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Well shes almost done. Just need to cut my front pipe and connect it up at the downpipe.

20131219_123145_zps3bc48e98.jpg

20131219_141006_zpse4194a52.jpg

20131219_143822_zps04fdee23.jpg

20131219_165558_zps9b6095ff.jpg

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
That looks sweet. You just left the cover off for ease of installing the 3 pedestal bolts? It's a 3.5" downpipe? By the looks of it there's no way a LLY 3" y-bridge would work with the intake, it has to be the LB7 style eh?

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Yep just went and drove it around. The vvt codes dont seem to bother it at this point. Check engine light comes on at first start up, clear the codes and it doesnt come back on.

THIS THING IS AWESOME!! Its been snowing all day so I havent been able to test it out really. No joke it spools faster than the danville 72. Like seriously. So far just flooring it in second gear and up a to 3rd I saw 35 psi. Cant wait to hit some dry roads. This thing whistles like crazy. Sounds so much better than the danville 72.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC60p1rNUSQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H-sahAf80Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
The guy I bought it from got rid of the billet wheel and went back to cast. Said he liked the cast better. I'll give it till spring time to decide:D

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Nice having all that free space under the hood compared to the VGT isn't it?? everything is a little easier to get too!

Setup looks great! you moved quick on the install! :thumb: