Rumor has it that mikel no longer deals with suncoast

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
hmmmm, for a minute I thought I was reading in Smoke Signals ;)

Usually when I am wrong Chris sends me a PM, without that PM from Chris I would never know when I was out of line. Take this thread for example, Chris plays along and seems to be enjoying himself, I like it when Chris is happy it makes me happy. :D

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Here's my take on this

I believe Suncoast is pretty much done with the development of the Allison ,by the way this is NOT the first time I've heard this ,as a matter of fact I heard this from the deceased owner of Suncoast.

I believe that there is really no reason to continue the research and development in such a very limited market. What is available today exceeds the needs of the majority of individuals with Allison transmissions.

The cost today to add all the bells and whistles to the Allison is close to just bolting up a Mopar transmission to the Duramax and so far it has proven to hold the power and actually is lighter and faster with the serious racers.

If some want to continue developing the Allison and keep it all GM to prove a point best of luck. If I was to get into the game today and blew up my current transmission I would switch to a Dodge transmission.

Bottom line is Suncoast I believe is done with Allison or taking the back seat on any new enhancements as the cost out ways the limited market.
What is available to date meets or exceeds the majority of the market.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Here's my take on this

I believe Suncoast is pretty much done with the development of the Allison ,by the way this is NOT the first time I've heard this ,as a matter of fact I heard this from the deceased owner of Suncoast.

I believe that there is really no reason to continue the research and development in such a very limited market. What is available today exceeds the needs of the majority of individuals with Allison transmissions.

The cost today to add all the bells and whistles to the Allison is close to just bolting up a Mopar transmission to the Duramax and so far it has proven to hold the power and actually is lighter and faster with the serious racers.

If some want to continue developing the Allison and keep it all GM to prove a point best of luck. If I was to get into the game today and blew up my current transmission I would switch to a Dodge transmission.

Bottom line is Suncoast I believe is done with Allison or taking the back seat on any new enhancements as the cost out ways the limited market.
What is available to date meets or exceeds the majority of the market.

Been talking to Ron at SC and we're not done with the Allison. I've been working with people on different fronts and much more stuff will be coming.:D

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
The Dura Flight dies not appeal to me in the least, I have no issues with the boys who are runnin them. I myself would prefer to have the Allison due to the fact that I tow, and I am extreemly brand loyal.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Been talking to Ron at SC and we're not done with the Allison. I've been working with people on different fronts and much more stuff will be coming.:D

I believe that there will be more stuff coming ,hey look at that neat reusable filter element that just came out ( :D ) , my opinion is with what is available today suits MOST up to around 700 RWHP. Perhaps the 'tweeks' that come forward will make it more reliable longer lasting between refreshes but what I'm hearing and reading the Dura-Flight is the way to go with the purse.

When the day comes (it'll be awhile) I would swap in heartbeat.

Dollars to donuts what is the cost to keep a Allison with all the hard parts involved behind a Duramax ? For example a ATS Extreme is 10,000 bucks! I also DO NOT believe it will hold up to 1000 HP. Maybe flywheel ,but NOT for long.

I'm talking RACERS . Hands down for any other application the Allison isn't second to anything.

Last edited:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
The Dura Flight dies not appeal to me in the least, I have no issues with the boys who are runnin them. I myself would prefer to have the Allison due to the fact that I tow, and I am extreemly brand loyal.

I threw brand loyal out the window . I like my Allison for towing and current HP level.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
for serious racers what would be the rebuild interval in the mopar stuff compared to the ally? i dont know much on the dodge end of things.

I don't think that they have been out there long enough to gather the data. But it appears that they are getting more passes out of the Dura-flight or should I say they aren't grenading forcing a tear down as of yet that I'm aware of.

If you look at the history of the Mopar transmission in this application you don't see many running to bolt up a Allison to a Cummins which is much easier then vise versa.

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
I don't think that they have been out there long enough to gather the data. But it appears that they are getting more passes out of the Dura-flight or should I say they aren't grenading forcing a tear down as of yet that I'm aware of.

If you look at the history of the Mopar transmission in this application you don't see many running to bolt up a Allison to a Cummins which is much easier then vise versa.

what sort of electronincs do they run? i would think it would not be to easy adding an ally due to the communications/electronics it has.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
what sort of electronincs do they run? i would think it would not be to easy adding an ally due to the communications/electronics it has.

The Allison is used in many applications and configurations and power plants in front of it. The Dura-flight comes with electronics.

Idaho Rob has numerous runs (30+) on his Dura-flight.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I would think the duraflite would probably need yearly refreshing of clutches and front band and possible converter.