Rumor has it that mikel no longer deals with suncoast

bigbird

Sep 18, 2006
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
And what is the price to do this swap 12,000+?

A year or so ago i was quoted around $10,000 from ron. This is complete race 47/48 re (can't remember which) and everything needed. If i remember right it's around $3500-$4000 for everything except trans. Idahorob could give a better idea. A good friend of mine has a 9 second dodge that weighs 6700+lbs. they refresh the clutches every off season as maintenence. they have never had it them let them down on the track.

Last edited:

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
At the power levels of Buck and Maxed Out's trucks are running you would think no matter what tranny is behind their engines it would need to be refreshed or a good idea to do so every year for consistancy. A thing to look at is how many 9 second allison transmisions are out there or how may times has one ran that fast without breaking. I belive these trannies are geared( as in purpose) for race trucks more than street even though it could be used for one but the cost of it the average guy wouldn't need it. If your truck is running low tens and nine second passes chance are real good your not pulling a 5th wheel behind it anyways.

Last edited:

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
If you guys want the info on a duraflite and our experience, feel free to call me.

I removed the tranny this week because we've heard of a couple of input shafts have been twisting and wanted to take a look at ours after 35+/- passes in the very low 10's. The input on ours looks perfect without any sign of a problem.

The tranny is going back in the truck without any tear down as it went 9's on the last pass and shifted perfectly.

The tranny comes with sweet stand alone computer software and data logger. I've driven it on the street and very manageble with tuning on the tranny.

There isn't a truck at this power level that has lived this many passes with an allison. Is it possible, maybe. Our thoughts at the time after Bucks trials in the past years, was to skip the heart ache. Good choice as we are ahead $$$ with running as many passes as we have, and are continuning to make, with the same duraflite as opposed to time and materials in running an allison at this level. That's not counting loss in winnings for dnf's.

Again, any one interested in talking to me about the software and duraflite, feel free to call.

Last edited:

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
Rob ever think about trying it out in your truck just to see how much faster it would go over the allison? Would be interesting to see.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Steve, I don't think, at my street trucks power level, I'd gain much at all. My allison shifts sweet, but that is on a truck almost two seconds slower than the race truck:eek:

I also talk to Ron quite often, and he is not giving up on the allison. With guys like Jason, Jeff, and Pat running in the 10's with an allison, there is on going data, building, and testing and hope.

Ken will be in the 10's on fuel with his new build using an Allison. I'm happy about the chance to learn some more about keeping them together at big power levels.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Not much I can add to Rob's posts, I said all along except for NOS anything goes on the race truck. Air and #2 and whatever will hold it. When Buck told us that he went through 50 or so Allision builds and his Duraflite lasted an entire season, that all it took for us. We won't run it more than one season without a tear down and refresh. Makes no sense not to at the power Max'd Out is making. Mike L made a statement sometime back that he thought the Duraflite would cut 1/2 sec off ET and he called Max'd Out a 9 sec truck the first time he saw it run down the track on video in late March.

As Rob said I'm building another truck. It's probably more what the dedicated Dmax owner with a serious daily driver/drag race truck habit would build. Will be fast enough to require a roll bar. Will drive it to the races and race both brackets and SuperStreet if I have a decent chance against whoever is there. I'll run the Allison and build it to the hilt with whatever the Allison experts say will work. To be honest I consider the Allison the weak link of the truck, Hope I'm proved wrong. I'll run only DOT Street Radials, will build it to run high 10's if I have to but 12.0 for brackets. That's about this old man can handle anymore.:D

Last edited:

TrailerproPop

"Social Security"
Apr 30, 2008
N.E. Ohio
Ok Lets change the subject.

Hey Mike, Since you build all these badass Trannies, Do/did you ever Drag race or sled pull ?

Any cool Hot rods you might have?

You cant just have all your fun building right?:eek:

Mike's knowledge is riding with hundreds of us every day. I for one think we are extremely fortunate to have a man of his caliber in our sport.

Besides, us old farts have to stick together!!:hug:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Mike's knowledge is riding with hundreds of us every day. I for one think we are extremely fortunate to have a man of his caliber in our sport.

'

Thanks for the kind words.:hug: ( from one codger to another :D )

I actualy have more fun on the sidelines being part of the team that helps you go fast.

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH

I agree pops, i know my trans build has benefitted from Mike's Knowledge.

And I do appreciate it, as well as all the others here that share their ideas to help make our Dmaxes strong as they can be!

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Easier to ask then go do research,

With the 47re Duraflite can TC lock up be controlled or allowed in 2nd through OD ? Or do you only get TC lock up in final gear? Or is that what you want?

I recall early on 'some' were running faster in the quarter mile with out tow haul engaged with the Allison.

Last edited:

BIG DIPPER

Nov 6, 2006
You can run a switch and command lock-up with the RE.
Most do it directly after the 1-2 shift.
A heavier truck with less HP/TQ would most likely benefit from not locking it so early.

The faster runs without T/H were under-achievers. I can't recall it being the same scenerio since EFILive was released.....although I have riden in a fair share of poorly written tunes.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Easier to ask then go do research,

With the 47re Duraflite can TC lock up be controlled or allowed in 2nd through OD ? Or do you only get TC lock up in final gear? Or is that what you want?

I recall early on 'some' were running faster in the quarter mile with out tow haul engaged with the Allison.

We run a stand alone controller on the duraflite and can command TC lockup anywhere we want. I'm still playing with how this truck likes different lockup speeds.