Ross forged vs fingers oval dome cast

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
I am torn between the two pistons because I can get a set of Ross forged for under a grand but I am gonna daily drive my truck and like the ideal that if I sell my truck, it would be worth more. Money is tight so decisions are tough. Any and all input would be appreciated.

I guess some of us were confused by your "money is tight so decisions are tough" comment. all good though, no hard feelings! :thumb:

The consensus is forged pistons for a high hp, race only application while cast is not as strong but better for longevity (rings) as a daily driver set up.

At the moment, if my motor fails I will most likely go with Finger's oval pistons in the build. I just like the idea behind them.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
At the moment, if my motor fails I will most likely go with Finger's oval pistons in the build. I just like the idea behind them.

i like the fact no one has cracked a set to date even better :D. if ido crack one of mine, those will be going in it

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
You're absolutely right and I do apologize, I was just trying to get across that it requires deep pockets to build a truck.

Thank you! If I needed grandfatherly advise, I would go to that forum. My point is I would like to rebuild a stout motor that I can drive everyday, to the track once and a while, and that I could get forged for very cheap. I like to push the limits so I wanted to get answers from people that have actual experience.

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
in a forged piston you must use a softer ring to not beat out the ring lands as you cant add a steel ring land in like you can the cast pistons. in using the softer ring, it wears out quicker. or you buy new forged pistons all the time

i can only think of a few people who have gotten the miles under a set of those rings in a forged piston and its been mixed reviews on just how long they last till compression drops out.

Not per Ross. They do not use a softer ring. They use a larger square cut ring that is equivalent if not stronger than stock.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
If you go with cast you will crack pistons. If you go forged you will go through rings. You will be back in your motor all the time if you use your power. I'm on my second set of cast pistons in 30,000 miles. And I don't make that much power :eek:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Not per Ross. They do not use a softer ring. They use a larger square cut ring that is equivalent if not stronger than stock.

Are you sure about that? Ross piston rings will outlive stock rings?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!

If you already have it all figured out, why are you here asking us?

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Nothing is easy and cheap.
I am just doing research and piecing everything one at a time unlike all the rich people on this site. I have a LBZ long block I would like to rebuild and like I said, it is 1 thing at a time.

Damn Richers!

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
If you already have it all figured out, why are you here asking us?

I'm with you on that one Josh. I have a thousand plus truck and I run cast pistons because it sees considerable driving. I will see hw long they actually last. To the OP if you ask for advise listen to some that have been there and done that. You will work on the truck either way so pick your poison.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
If you go with cast you will crack pistons. If you go forged you will go through rings. You will be back in your motor all the time if you use your power. I'm on my second set of cast pistons in 30,000 miles. And I don't make that much power :eek:

Sorry but I have to ask, what the hell are you doing wrong then??? You may want to take a serious look at how you are making your power to address this issue. I'd flip out if I was in your shoes!:(

whytry

Oct 11, 2010
I have seen Ross diesel pistons they will knock the ring lands out...even though they use a steel ring land in the top here's some advise listen to those who know..there is lots of good info here:thumb:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona

Didn't you crack all 8 on the first motor Anthony? Or was that Alligators?? :confused:

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Sorry but I have to ask, what the hell are you doing wrong then??? You may want to take a serious look at how you are making your power to address this issue. I'd flip out if I was in your shoes!:(

The pistons had well over 300 1/4 mile passes.

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
They are not Cummins pistons modified to fit the duramax. They are made from forgings and designed to the customers specifications. Ross recently came out with a new side relief and they are quite a bit lighter now. The stock pistons from Japan are very light but they also don’t hold up under extreme abuse.

It's the same forging. Then a lot of material is taken off for the DMax. True, you tell them what you want. I wouldn't use forged in a daily driver anyway. But since you have all the answers why be asking? You want forged pistons fine, buy the damn things and stop arguing.

beanpole209

May 5, 2010

FYI, my ear's always stands at attention when I'm conversing with said industry leaders. :)

McDonalds < Cheesecake Factory------------------------Ross = McD's Fingers = CF You dig?

Problem solved, problem staying solved. Matt

Last edited: