Ross forged vs fingers oval dome cast

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
enthusiastically skewed perspective? What is skewed?
Budget and 1200hp diesel, that's skewed
My goals are Always skewed by enthusiasm :)

There's nothing in materialistic form I want more than a 800+whp built duramax

But I know it can't be done with the word "budget" in the sentence.....

However, if you are saying, hey I have a budget of X amount to spend every month or so, that's a different story, looks like you have a LBZ block to build on already, so you are closer to your goal, therefore "richer" than I

:spit::tease::eek:hgeez::doh::broke::whisle:

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
1000hp won't be made for any length of time "on a budget." If you want a 1000+ rwhp truck, and you want to use that power, then multiply your budget by 2, add 5 grand and you MIGHT have enough money. Im building a BBC gasser which is almost free compered to building a dmax motor and i blew past my budget REAL fast. Just food for thought

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
You're in the wrong hobby my friend....

No shit

It is because of this "hobby" that I have given up everything else I used to do, I have not been skiing/snowboarding in 2 years, I have not made trips to the ocean to surf, I gave up certain indulgences, I eat less steaks, drink less alcohol, and have not really been on a "vacation" or bought new clothes in the last two years, i gave up participating and practicing for amateur golf tournaments

ever since I got bit by the "diesel bug" I eat breathe and sleep thinking about how to accomplish this feat of owning a high performance Duramax Diesel

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Mikey, if you haven't paid your truck off I would suggest you do that. I wouldn't want to make payments on something I'm sinking money into that can't be easily recouped. JMO

Nobody is saying you can't build your dream, just be prepared for the cost and possible failures. If you do build it, keep us posted. Everyone loves build threads

02CCSB

Built
May 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Canada
No shit

It is because of this "hobby" that I have given up everything else I used to do, I have not been skiing/snowboarding in 2 years, I have not made trips to the ocean to surf, I gave up certain indulgences, I eat less steaks, drink less alcohol, and have not really been on a "vacation" or bought new clothes in the last two years, i gave up participating and practicing for amateur golf tournaments

ever since I got bit by the "diesel bug" I eat breathe and sleep thinking about how to accomplish this feat of owning a high performance Duramax Diesel

You my friend, have issues LOL

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
:eek:fftopic:
:hijacked:
:threadjacked:
:hijacked2:

Sorry Mikey...

To get this thread back on topic, between the two options you are asking about, I personally would choose the Fingers oval bowl race cast pistons, why? Well for that answer call Danville performance, ask Mark, or Matt or Larry. But they are proving themselves to be a worthy contender, and they are cast still, so they should have better longevity

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
I bought my truck for 20k cash back in 2009
The bank gave me 15k for my ccsb 03 gasser and all I had to do was come up with 5k.
I am a business man and I look for the best deals. Can we keep the topic to the questions. Do you really want me to take it out so you can measure it:roflmao:

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
Mikey, if you haven't paid your truck off I would suggest you do that. I wouldn't want to make payments on something I'm sinking money into that can't be easily recouped. JMO

Nobody is saying you can't build your dream, just be prepared for the cost and possible failures. If you do build it, keep us posted. Everyone loves build threads

Sorry Mikey...

To get this thread back on topic, between the two options you are asking about, I personally would choose the Fingers oval bowl race cast pistons, why? Well for that answer call Danville performance, ask Mark, or Matt or Larry. But they are proving themselves to be a worthy contender, and they are cast still, so they should have better longevity

Thank You!

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
You will be replacing forged long before 100k miles. Try more like 40,000 miles on a daily driver application. That's why cast is a better option on a dd.

Why would the rings wear out every 30,000 40,000 miles when we use the same material as they use in factory oem pistons if not better than Oem rings.

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
My understanding of the Ross piston is that it's a Cummins piston made to work in the DMax, and it's heavy.

Horsepower numbers get thrown around easily, but be assured that you don't just "make 4 digit power with no problems." It's not easy or cheap.

They are not Cummins pistons modified to fit the duramax. They are made from forgings and designed to the customers specifications. Ross recently came out with a new side relief and they are quite a bit lighter now. The stock pistons from Japan are very light but they also don’t hold up under extreme abuse.

02CCSB

Built
May 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Canada
A good business man would know when it's time to pull the plug on a bad investment...

I mean, I OWN a transmission and diesel shop and even I don't have that much money buried into an 11 year old truck that no matter what i do to it isn't worth more than $25K.

If/when I decide I want to go that fast again, I'll buy a Viper.

550/1000 at the wheels is plenty on the street.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Why would the rings wear out every 30,000 40,000 miles when we use the same material as they use in factory oem pistons if not better than Oem rings.

in a forged piston you must use a softer ring to not beat out the ring lands as you cant add a steel ring land in like you can the cast pistons. in using the softer ring, it wears out quicker. or you buy new forged pistons all the time

i can only think of a few people who have gotten the miles under a set of those rings in a forged piston and its been mixed reviews on just how long they last till compression drops out.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Not trying to sound like an ass to the op, but I suggest you do a little more research on the difference between a forged piston and a cast piston to help you make your desicion:thumb:

smkndmax05

"Smoked Out"
Feb 17, 2011
Indiana

Sorry Mikey...

NUMBER is 317-745-8587 Matt

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
A good business man would know when it's time to pull the plug on a bad investment...

I mean, I OWN a transmission and diesel shop and even I don't have that much money buried into an 11 year old truck that no matter what i do to it isn't worth more than $25K.

If/when I decide I want to go that fast again, I'll buy a Viper.

550/1000 at the wheels is plenty on the street.

Who cares if he wants to sink money into his truck. Let the man do his thing before becoming his financial advisor.