LLY: RCSB 1500 LLY round 2

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
When I change the filters on my airdog I just let the pump run for 30 seconds and then crank and it fires right up and runs fine.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Great, thanks :)

Got the rear main done tonight, flywheel and balancer reinstalled.

These Kent Moore tools are awesome, thanks to delong_1 and onebaddmaxxx for letting me use them!

IMAG0317_zps7jxqzcng.jpg

I thought I had a pic of the front one in use also but I must have deleted it accidentally.

IMAG0311_zpsjvn9gxjf.jpg

Flywheel holding tool in the background of this one, peeking out of the starter hole.

IMAG0318_zpsfjmj6ayl.jpg

IMAG0322_zpschd46isc.jpg

IMAG0323_zpsnsmxavka.jpg

Fandango

Aug 7, 2013
Mefis
Thanks for the feedback on the pumps. They were Number 1 on my list, until I saw the AFE lift pump at SEMA. I'm waiting to see what they've come up with before I decide.

For the degreasing, if you are feeling lazy next time around, Pine Sol makes a great degreaser. Just make sure to wear rubber gloves, because that stuff will pull the oil right out of your skin.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I have to put lotion on every time I wash parts already, lol.

Doing piddly crap in the garage since I have no other parts to work with at the moment.

Deleted the passenger side battery cables tonight. The two positive cables are joined at the starter, this is the only point where the two sets of cables come together. I just cut the passenger positive cable from the starter ring terminal and taped everything up.

Before:

IMAG0325_zpsmos2dlbh.jpg

After:
IMAG0326_zps0zuidzb8.jpg

Here's the part that was removed. Includes the block heater cord, not necessary here in Phoenix.
IMAG0327_zpshuqunyls.jpg

Head gaskets and heads should be here Thursday, should be able to really get things moving then.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Got my filter head rebuild kit and fuel pressure sender adapter from Merchant today.

Filter head torn down and cleaned:

IMAG0329_zpsk8einp5c.jpg

All finished:

IMAG0330_zpsewn8flal.jpg

Heads did not ship today,but are ready to go for tomorrow. I'll have them Friday.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I KNEW it was going too smoothly. I pulled the lifter retainers to wipe them down and somehow broke one of the bolts going back in.

IMAG0332_zpsajqkgary.jpg

Drilled out the bolt hole in the block, retapped a little larger, and used another cap screw I had in my spare bolt bag. Took me about 2 hours to fix but it's done. Phew.

IMAG0333_zpsj5jcu2n3.jpg

IMAG0334_zpsfnpm697f.jpg

Deck is all cleaned up, alignment dowels and studs are in, gaskets are on. Ready for the heads to arrive tomorrow.

IMAG0335_zpsyuxjqgaj.jpg

IMAG0336_zpsrfoxj1na.jpg

IMAG0337_zpsugbv98ww.jpg

IMAG0338_zpsay7wzwti.jpg

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Do you have any more pictures of your engine stand? I need to build one and kinda looking for ideas..

Thanks!

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Can't wait to see this thing back together! Looks like a blast to drive to me, I know how mine is and yours is a lot lighter than mine and with the shorter wheel base. Let me know if you need anything else buddy!:thumb:

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Can't wait to see this thing back together! Looks like a blast to drive to me, I know how mine is and yours is a lot lighter than mine and with the shorter wheel base. Let me know if you need anything else buddy!:thumb:

Thanks for your help Mark, can't wait to see what this thing does with your tunes :D

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Heads finally arrived today! They are so pretty :)

IMAG0340_zpsxe1hjdyl.jpg

IMAG0341_zpstjobyx28.jpg

IMAG0342_zpsxttqsuwu.jpg

First side bolted down

IMAG0343_zpsbyv5x8mf.jpg

Broke a push rod on one side when I tightened down the rocker assembly, I guess I didn't get the lash adjuster set into the push rod cup completely and when I spun the engine around it snapped the cup off. Brian is bringing me a spare tomorrow. Also started to set lash on the other side, was driving me crazy. I got them all set to .012, spun the engine around, rechecked, and some were too loose and others were too tight. I gave up for the night, don't have the patience for it right now.

One other question, somewhere along the way one of the alignment dowels for the valve covers fell out of the passenger side head. Will everything align properly using just the valve cover bolts?

Here I am now, valve covers are just sitting on top to keep dust out.

IMAG0344_zpsjblbvgs3.jpg

Swapped in a LB7 up pipe on the passenger side

IMAG0345_zps7xrgxxbe.jpg