Pulling Pucks

AdaMax

Nov 26, 2010
Caldwell , Oh
Who all are running pucks up front for pulling and what thickness ? I ran a 2" puck all last season and plan on buying a stick of cold rolled 2" X 3" and doing some experimenting next season on how big I can go .

Papuller86

alittle more then stock
Jun 22, 2010
scranton pa
from what hes describing it sounds like hes blocking the front suspention so it dosent drop when adding weight! could b wrong but thats what it seems like to me,

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Yeah, if thats the case, just make them adjustable instead of having to run different pieces of pipe.

zlonsway

Sep 29, 2009
Ran Them all last year on an extended cab short bed. They seemed to work fairly well. Helped with keeping hitch height.

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
got any pics of what you guys are talking about exactly? Do you run you bars all the way down and use the pucks to hold the front end up? Are the front shafts still able to level out?

AdaMax

Nov 26, 2010
Caldwell , Oh
I drive mine to the pulls so what I did was pulled out the front suspension bump stops and replaced them with 2" by 3" cold rolled steel . When I get to a pull I jack the front up to let the torsion bars down and bolt in the 2 pucks . It takes me just a couple minutes to put them in because i leave out the stock bump stops all year .

Woody87

May 6, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IN
I ran 2.25" pucks this year, helped a ton in keeping hitch height on my single cab. Going to up it to 3" this year as I still loose hitch height and front still comes up a bit.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
If you are placing them where stock bumpstops are, you are only controlling compression distance, not rebound distance. If you place a limiter on the upper control arm you can keep hitch height more constant, but there might be adverse handling effects

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
If you are placing them where stock bumpstops are, you are only controlling compression distance, not rebound distance. If you place a limiter on the upper control arm you can keep hitch height more constant, but there might be adverse handling effects

There will be if you make it too short. The ubrupt stopping of the upper control arm can pull weight off the front tires. A thick rubber snubber would work better.

AdaMax

Nov 26, 2010
Caldwell , Oh
I have seen the adjustable stops on the upper control arm , but what makes it diferent than stopping the travel of the lower control arm ?

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all

By adjusting compression distance, you also adjust rebound height, which inturn helps maintain hitch height.

It also helps a ton trying to turn with 35s and stock height.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
got any pics of what you guys are talking about exactly? Do you run you bars all the way down and use the pucks to hold the front end up? Are the front shafts still able to level out?

Yes, the truck will just lift to the same position, but if it starts out higher, it lifts less, and you lose less hitch height. We used 1" threaded rod (most race shops have it) and welded a nut to the top of the old stops, so now the rod screws down through the old mount and hits the a arm.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
By adjusting compression distance, you also adjust rebound height, which inturn helps maintain hitch height.

It also helps a ton trying to turn with 35s and stock height.

Maybe I should look into this. I have to do 40 point turns it seems with my 325s.. probably just run these bfg 285s this year and see how well they do

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
Yes, the truck will just lift to the same position, but if it starts out higher, it lifts less, and you lose less hitch height. We used 1" threaded rod (most race shops have it) and welded a nut to the top of the old stops, so now the rod screws down through the old mount and hits the a arm.

makes perfect sense. This would have helped greatly when I put the sts tires on. I ended up having to pull of my front bumper to allow the truck to turn at all.

AdaMax

Nov 26, 2010
Caldwell , Oh
So is there an advantage of the adjustable stops on the top a arm over a bump stop on the bottom other than adjustability ?

My plan is that I will have from 1 1/2" all the way up to 3" in the truck so that on the rougher tracks i can go less on the front blocks to let the suspension work .

Another advantage I have right now is in my area there is only 2 other trucks running the pucks or any front suspension stop . So if I keep running the pucks instead of the adjustable less people realize what I am doing .

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
So is there an advantage of the adjustable stops on the top a arm over a bump stop on the bottom other than adjustability ?

My plan is that I will have from 1 1/2" all the way up to 3" in the truck so that on the rougher tracks i can go less on the front blocks to let the suspension work .

Another advantage I have right now is in my area there is only 2 other trucks running the pucks or any front suspension stop . So if I keep running the pucks instead of the adjustable less people realize what I am doing .

Mine still hit the bottom a arm, like all the others i have seen.