Porting to reach high rpm breathing

Fahlin Racing

Aug 22, 2012
NE Ohio
So whatever the cost of shipping then, I see. I will let you know then thank you for the generosity. I have a 6.7 Cummins head in mind at the present moment so I need to close that deal soon before I move forward with your 6.7 Ford head.

I have been thinking on my transitional area, the shaping will be pretty interesting. Since we can use 15 degree increments or form radii I am not sure what I will end up using here however I do know I will be making some pieces to hand sand tighter areas since my hands are too big to really see any work being done. Visualizing this process is bringing back some good memories of art class believe it or not.

Fahlin Racing

Aug 22, 2012
NE Ohio
Just letting you guys know I haven't ditched the project, its still rock n rollin' :thumb: I will be able to grind more soon. Doesn't help that I lacked ambition to heat a garage when its -5 majority of February this year isn't worth it for only 2 hours at a time. Oh well, grab some long shank cutters from Summit and I can begin again soon.

Fahlin Racing

Aug 22, 2012
NE Ohio
Dmaxcont4_zps40531a77.jpg

ddc74491-71ec-4506-8a8e-8249f80f3afe_zps74221c80.jpg

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
minus well keep going and find out where the jacket is all the way around.
Since they are cast I am sure it is not consistent from one head to the next..

You were going for quite the opening there!!

Fahlin Racing

Aug 22, 2012
NE Ohio
I've changed part of my objective for the initial project here. But by fall, I hope to get another set of heads to develop some full-on drag race heads in the future.

Fahlin Racing

Aug 22, 2012
NE Ohio
If you would like an explanation I will gladly give you one.

First, its only the beginning of the runner change
Second, I will change the wall completely
Third, I plan to adding other attributes as I pass along the roof and floor to the valve

I just thought I would be using this as the starting point for going in towards the valve pocket and cylinder. The beginning of the runner we use mostly as a area to contain the air flow to the bowl area, as we converge we start to get more important in terms of CSA and valve seat approach with flow stability. As we hit the SSR and LSR we encounter the valve stem and pocket just above the convergent area and venturi then off to the divergent side and the firedeck. So in reality its all in steps no matter where you begin the grinding.

Fahlin Racing

Aug 22, 2012
NE Ohio
Found some holes! :joker:

Finally getting into my port again I did get a little more progress done. I am probably guesing off the top of my head 3 - 3.5 inches into the runner as you can see my width has poked through.
DmaxSteptwo6_zpsc5a5a70f.jpg

Dmaxsteptwo3_zps4d8dec1e.jpg

This is an area obviously needing material added to the outside runner surface, as well as the roof to the right of the reinforcement rib you can see from the topside when you have valve cover off. The pick below you can see how I am shaping the transition from the sharper edged divided which will be hand sanded to soften it up and smooth things for flow adhesion.

Dmaxsteptwo2_zps9d0fe18c.jpg

This picture you can see my finger right in front of the valve guide so I can see past the point of where I am working currently. Its a interesting close knit design. If you come back towards the intake manifold area you will be hovering around the dogleg intake bowl so I just may have a funky looking shape in this area IMO. Each time I look and grind I see things change. As I have learned, the most linear and progressively changing port the straightest isn't always the best which I am sure a few on here have known that for a while.

Dmaxsteptwo4_zps01b72d4b.jpg

Here is a shot of the roof, the hole is to the right of the rib on the top side. That area along with the right side of the outside of the runner needs material for wider porting. Now as I bring up again, the partition between the two runners since we have 'flow-cornering', in my premiss, if it is going to be taken from that runner we need to limit the transparent CSA reduction done by flow, now as far as expanding the area and contouring the wall. How much will be avoided? We only can see it throwing some dye in and probing the port with the flowbench. I know some don't agree with me but the flowbench is a tool, with a tool we can tune whatever it is with it.

:popcorn: :D

LtEng5

Mar 24, 2013
CT
If a flow bench isnt a tuning tool, then why is it used by every race team in every class of pro racing and most of the lower class race shops around the world........

Any way......

raising the roof is definitely the place to be working. if it wasnt for the flange of the intake clam shell, we could take the roof almost to the top edge of the casting and build a roof back into the casting material by the valve guide.

once you get into the SSR and LSR, keep in mind the picture of the venturi you are trying to build. you dont want to open up that area to much as compared to the neck of the runner just before the SSR and LSR. This is very easy to do especially on the dog leg runner. now you would have air speed gains before the valve and then slowing at the valve just before cylinder entry.

Fahlin Racing

Aug 22, 2012
NE Ohio
I think you have misread my flowbench comment.

These SSR's are very different, if you visualize too as in stock configuration you could say the shape is like a piece of pie with a rounded tip which I see creating a route that will cause more time in transition before the venturi possibly hindering the flow nature around the valve Lt. Its a wild layout. I fully understand your CSA viewpoint, its tricky since you can make an example of using a slinky to make a visual 90 degree turn, we use that sort of pie piece shape into a visual 90 degree. Hopefully the short side is not crazy busy because there just may be busy enough to where there could be a high pressure zone? forcing inadequate flow moving to more along the LSR? maybe? Looks like dye will be used on the bench too.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
So, a year and a half later, have we made any huge earth-shattering mind-blowing breakthroughs in head porting that the rest of the Duramax world needs to know about yet?

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Heads

Has anyone run any better after running the wagler heads? Everyone I have seen seems to run about the same. I did think they were a lot stronger than stock but I have heard of some problems a few we're having with them leaking water. Anyone now of any issues?

Fahlin Racing

Aug 22, 2012
NE Ohio
Don't make me laugh too hard with your comments, so because I do this in my leisure time after I pay my bills, fix things more important than this. I am so sorry I don't run a business that deals with these things day in and day out. Its not my problem, it my interest in making changes that could change things either in small or large scale, time will tell that though.

Who will put those heads on their truck? These aren't balls out competition heads unless you run them in your workstocker or street stock etc. Who just might not have the money to buy Guy's heads? The fact of the matter is exploring venues through port changes still usable to the weekend racer who just so happens to want to use a grinder, just like any of you fellows who seem to be a guru at heads from the thoughts you post. I have less experience than any of you period but yet I am spending my time and my money into seeing what someone may be able to do that doesn't have a CNC machine or money to purchase the heads Guy or any other that may have ported for 'X' amount of dollars.

So please if you think you can add your wisdom to any possible advancement in air flow in these once toted revolutionary heads, please do. Please show me the way with what the rules will be on porting. But ya know what, there are no rules, there are no guidelines besides what Joe Mondello, Darin Morgan, Curtis Boggs, Richard Moser, Lee Shepard, Smokey Yunick, Grumpy Jenkins, Ed Pink, Keith Black, Larry Meaux etc have set for engine building and tuning basics for ports in the racing world.

As far as I am concern, any diesel head with a parallel postioned runner to the deck of the cylinder block is wasting time. 90 degrees to the venturi is so 1950s! :rofl: