Pop goes the Turbo

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Well, first stage of turning up the wick on the new engine in the truck and POP goes the turbo. Sounds like the the bearings went. I was logging the engine at the time. No unusual pressures until the VVT vane angles started to climb and the boost started dropping. Severe squeeling, then, smoke.

Bummer. I really hate changing out turbos on these engines....:(

Turbo was a Danville Stage II VVT.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Inconsiderate, I know.

I don't have it all apart yet, but my guess is the shaft broke. Probably after the bearings failed. I will have to make sure nothing made it to the engine. :( I'll be pulling the IC pipes this afternoon looking for bits.

I have a bit of a problem. The Danville was just enough to deal with the 100 overs but I had my doubts that it would keep up as I ramped up. I know it is contrary to the popular consensus, but I like the VVTs. Why? It makes a very nice daily driver. Guess I will have to leave those behind. There is nothing that will keep up.

I am not a big twins fan. Too much crap under the hood as is.

But

I drive this truck every day, year round and tow heavy (20K Trailer) frequently. I simply can't deal with something that is going to be problematic or not light consistently.

I am open to suggestions.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Sorry to hear that Jon. :(

Im in the odd boat with you, I like VVT's and will do anything possible to keep a VVT on my truck. The daily driving factor and turbo brake are important to me. When I get the new engine together my plan is a modded VVT twined with a big primary (GT47 maybe?), and then wastegate around the VVT...

I say do twins...the piping is a lot easier than it looks to take on and off to work on stuff.

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
66/73 with an external gate is a great dd and towing turbo. A 63/68 will work as well, but you'll HAVE to gate it. We just finished an LLY build with the 63/68 T4 non-gated and it works very well to 625-650 without a gate. Something tells me you're going higher though ;)

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
what about an s472? you seem like you have enough fuel to spool it pretty damn quick. and could probably still tow with it

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
The Presion one I mentioned Trent said should flow as much as a 72mm but would have a tight a/r that was gated (.56 I think he said) and could make north of 750. I have a 472 on my truck with 100 overs and a WD lv 3 pump. Drives great but if you live in or around mountains it may be a little to large. Would have to down shift at times. The 66/80 twins I had on my truck were great and I think you would be happier then you think with twins. Like said piping isn't that hard to remove. On a 3000 pw twin with stock injectors and dual pumps I never say over 1300 egt but was maxin out my 60 psi boost gauge (might have been a reason for the hole in the block) I have heard good things about Fleece and there 66mm w/g turbos.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
The Presion one I mentioned Trent said should flow as much as a 72mm but would have a tight a/r that was gated (.56 I think he said) and could make north of 750. I have a 472 on my truck with 100 overs and a WD lv 3 pump. Drives great but if you live in or around mountains it may be a little to large. Would have to down shift at times. The 66/80 twins I had on my truck were great and I think you would be happier then you think with twins. Like said piping isn't that hard to remove. On a 3000 pw twin with stock injectors and dual pumps I never say over 1300 egt but was maxin out my 60 psi boost gauge (might have been a reason for the hole in the block) I have heard good things about Fleece and there 66mm w/g turbos.

.56 is the tightest housing available , but not what we will be using . Jon I should have this charger on my truck( tow rig ) with in a week or so , it might be right up your alley , max flow is 90-95 lbs per min.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
.56 is the tightest housing available , but not what we will be using . Jon I should have this charger on my truck( tow rig ) with in a week or so , it might be right up your alley , max flow is 90-95 lbs per min.

I was kinda hoping to just change turbos once. I have to get the beast back on the road soon. Work is a waiting.

I do have a selection of stock turbos to get me over the hump

attachment.php

Some in better shape than others.

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I was kinda hoping to just change turbos once. I have to get the beast back on the road soon. Work is a waiting.

I do have a selection of stock turbos to get me over the hump

Some in better shape than others.

I cant say I blame you there , I have swapped the turbo kit on my DD 5 times in the last year and it is a pain for sure .

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I think a 4094avnt with a gate & a 80-88mm big brother would be the bomb for a daily driver, this what i'm working towards.

How long did your turbo sit before you fired the engine?

Big Angry

<--My idea of a good time
Sep 3, 2006
South Central Pa
Even though you are opposed, I vote go twins. With the motor and all the fuel, it'd be a shame not do. Especially with how you use your truck, still towing heavy, etc. Do it! :thumb: