Pop goes the Turbo

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I think a 4094avnt with a gate & a 80-88mm big brother would be the bomb for a daily driver, this what i'm working towards.

How long did your turbo sit before you fired the engine?

~10 days. All oil lines primed prior to first start. Pressure came up in ~2 sec.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I was just wondering.... Seen a few turbos at work shell out due to not being pre-lubed. Sounds like that was not your case though.

I pulled a fairly heavy trailer from Alaska down to Idaho, the twins made me a believer. They did awesome. Egt's never went over 1250* even on the steepest mountain passes.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Carnage pictures

Very little oil in the intake. No Shavings. (amazing) Cold side of the intercooler is dry, no shavings. Hot side has the slightest oil film. I don't think anything found the motor. As you can see in the pictures, the compressor rubbed but no pieces missing.

Looks like the Turbine got cooked. The Turbine broke off at the base. Fatigue crack as best I can tell, but it looks like that was after the edges melted off. The vanes are splattered with turbine debris. From there it was loading the exhaust with oil. Black, black ugly stuff in there now.

Thinking back, I had heard a whirring noise, but hadn't narrowed it down since it seemed to be in step lock with engine RPM. Thought it might have been the power steering pump, tranny, even a water pump, but never thought the turbo. Till....... :(

Last edited:

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
Other that the shrapnel from the turbine, they look perfect. :thumb:

Good to hear. As far as I know, first long-term mileage "test" of them. I (and I am sure the others with them) are sure to be pleased. :thumb:

Stock turbo is back in. How disappointing. But at least I have a functional truck again.

Can you tune the smoke out with stock?

If you go the route of the consensus here, can we assume the piping will be orange? :D

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
whats about the s478 with the L.I. wheel? its all the rave on compD and supra forums.

they say it spools faster then an s472 and flows just a hair short of an s480ETT.

sorry to hear about the danville :(

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Can you tune the smoke out with stock?

The answer would be "no". Today's Tune: Stock pulse widths, turbo maxed out, smoking like a freight train. Pulls OK till I get into the 75-80 mm3 range, then a little later I hit the wall hard somewhere north of 2800 RPM. I just run out of air. I don't see the use pushing the tuning too hard till I get the induction worked out. It revs. Just doesn't keep making power.

Sigh, stepping back once in a while makes you appreciate how far you had gotten with your performance mods.

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
The answer would be "no". .....

Sigh, stepping back once in a while makes you appreciate how far you had gotten with your performance mods.

Sorry to hear. I am sure you will solve the induction issue, and probably not like most others have because, well, frankly, I do know you pretty well. :D

Hey, at least a lot of smoke has to remind you of those fun early days with Predator beta tunes that could stop traffic in both directions....;)