Pop goes the Turbo

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Looks really familiar and it should be a nice improvement over my original 68mm stg2 that gave up on you. Can't wait to see how you like it and to see how these pistons are going to do for you. Keep up the great work!:thumb:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
No, it is a VVT. I guess you could call it a Stg 3 68 VVT.

Put it in last night. Fastest turbo swap ever for me. 4 hours. :)

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
No, it is a VVT. I guess you could call it a Stg 3 68 VVT.

Put it in last night. Fastest turbo swap ever for me. 4 hours. :)

Danville must have another one. The billet 68 (stage 3) that I was talking with him about had a external gate added.

Very interested in this turbo. Please let us know what you think of it.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
The compressor wheel on this one is different, and I think Danville is using, or plans on using it on other turbos. Maybe that is what he was talking about. But I will let Danville speak to that.

I like this turbo. Very similar to the original Danville, but the compressor has a different character. It is, first off, a lot quieter. The sound from the first one I had, tho neat to hear, got on my nerves after a while and I turned it back just to shut it up some. This will sing too, Just not all the time. Singing at low RPMs, BTW, is not a good sign. It indicates turbulent flow on the compressor. At speed, most will sing because the blades are breaking the sound barrier. But that is another story..

When she lites, very very nice. Good power and boost. (Logged 50 PSI by accident, whoops) Really likes the vanes open... after she lites.

My only beef so far, and it is probably my lack of tuning skills, is I can't get this thing to spin up below 2000 RPM yet.

My converter is a little on the tight side, so I come up to stall at 1500 and languish from there up. Just can't get the boost to come up. Pain when pulling the trailer. Empty, I just blow smoke, lite, and spin the tires.

I had the same problem with the first turbo. Again, lack of skill on my problem. Working on it.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
My only beef so far, is I can't get this thing to spin up below 2000 RPM yet.

Log the vane position, and see if it's "locking up". This is where it tries to make requested boost, and continues to close the vanes even as the boost falls. You see the datalog indicating the vanes are bottomed out. By lowering the desired boost to a number it can actually achieve at that RPM, it will make the problem vanish. Also, capping the Max Vane position can help as well.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Well, it's the timing. Too much timing actually. Backing it off puts the heat in the pipes instead of trying to turn the crank. Some call it feeding the turbo. How true. With the lower compression engine I had just previous, I couldn't pull too much timing or she would haze like crazy.

Still have a long way to go.

After I settle the timing thing down a bit, I'll go back and play with pulling some vane angle to let her breath.

Man does this B**** pull!!