Piston Bowls

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
I am not sure about the spray pattern and its behavior with the oval. However, the "Finger" bowl's minor axis is as wide as the stock bowl. So no more, or less, fuel will spill over the top than the stock bowl. At least that is the theory. :)

In addition to the Keystone ring steel, there is an additional ring embedded in the piston. I know from cutting other stock pistons apart. It just so happens that I don't have any old pistons, whole or sliced, still laying around. IIRC it was just inboard of the oil gallery.

JOn, if ya need a few pistons, i have a few with some slight erosion and a few that have even started to crack on the tops you can have for what ever reason, there just getting pitched otherwise!!

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Writing NC code by hand? :roflmao: This isn't 1975, upgrade your CAM system.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
$$$ for something I don't use very often. Come on. Mastercam basic is $4k

You got plenty, come on:confused::spit:

Seriously though, I would be willing to generate tool paths for you, if it will expidite the process any...no charge of course. Any way I can help, just let me know.

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
Test drove FeatureCAM two years ago.

I have FeatureCAM at work and don't like it it feels like a cheap copout program but that is me. PowerMill is much better than it. But costs a lot more I remember years ago my shop said like $14,000 per seat.

I also have Cimatron at work.

Anyone that will be trying this will need to know what Machine and Controller you will be using. Also what kind of cutters all carbide EndMills, Ball nose, Bull nose, metric or imperial sizes you have to work with?

I will see what I can do at work Monday night.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Here is what I came up with in about 10-15 minutes.

Came to the shop to see if I could machine a blank, but no mills currently open. Nature of being a job shop.

Also we are going to need to know the limitations of your machining center.

Piston bowl.JPG

Attachments

• Piston bowl.JPG
    Piston bowl.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Only need 1/2" ball. Smallest inside radius is just under 1/2"

No native spline interpolation on the Haas, only arcs. 3 axis machine. SurfCam claims to have Posts for the Haas, but you might not have it.

THX

I have it. What rpm? surfcam wont let me machine the smallest radius with 1/2.. May be a parameter I have set wrong.