Piston Bowls

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
simon you're putting words in my mouth.

im not saying its totally detestable or unlivable. Most people might not even notice it, but im picky....and I noticed it. Now that I live at 6,500', I would probably notice it more.

For a race truck going for ultimate performance/HP I would definitely run a lower static CR. But for a truck that I literally drive/use every day and maybe only really crank up/race every other weekend, id rather keep the snappiness of stock CR.

You can compensate a lot of it out with tuning, but that last little bit is just a trait of running low static CR on a turbocharged diesel.......

It is kinda ironic how some will fight until the end saying elevation has little to do with how these motors run. its nice to see someone that is in agreement with me finally. My motors have been at 15/1, 16/1, and now 16.5/1 and each motor has been more fun to drive, less smoke and more responsive.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
It is kinda ironic how some will fight until the end saying elevation has little to do with how these motors run. its nice to see someone that is in agreement with me finally. My motors have been at 15/1, 16/1, and now 16.5/1 and each motor has been more fun to drive, less smoke and more responsive.

I will definitely agree with you guys about the elevation playing hell with driveability but I don't see that here in Indiana. If I was in your shoes I would keep it up there around stock levels.

Matt, that article is wht got me started on the whole compression kick a year ago when it debuted. I figured if it works for them then we need to figure it out. Doing the same thing over and over agian expecting a different result is the definition of insanity, just saying.:D

dansdieselp

Diesel Tuner
Apr 3, 2009
Marengo, IL
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359401705.440302.jpg

18:1 with .075" valve pockets. We'll let you know how they run. Thanks Jon.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359401705.440302.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359401705.440302.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 232

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I know a guy who is getting a built motor who will be using these. I'm looking forward to getting some real world experience with them.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Installed another set of these race cast oval's in a motor today at 15.5:1 with .075" reliefs. Will be a 700+Hp 2.5 VGT street truck that sled pulls in 2.5 class.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Have you played around with different cams and these pistons yet Mark?

Have ran stock cam, 3388 SoCal, 6480 SoCal(what is in mine), and will be doing a 9100 SoCal combo very soon. The 3388 works great but my motor with the 6480 is just plain loud! This cam in a normal mahle forged 16.5:1 was not one of my favorites, kinda lazy feeling without alot of rpm gain. I had this cam on the shelf used because we replaced it with a 9100 in a 2.6 puller to gain more topend power. In my motor it acts completely diferent, with great response and definitely wants to rev hard and the thump out the pipe is rediculous, it is so loud. I think this cam will rock with the twins when I put an 88mm over my 72mm vgt. It's all about the combination and the compression ratio with this piston design acts completely different than the normal mahle round chamber and I think this is why my experience is so different than the masses, idk.

Bigdirtylbz07

Feb 3, 2011
Northeast indiana
I was thinking about 16 to 1? An mark I'll have to be talking to you in private here soon I'm really tossing around the idea of adding another turbo to accompany my 71mm and having you tune my motor with these pistons I'm in the north eastern part of Indiana so I'm not too far out of range

mtl_dmax

Dec 7, 2010
Eastern Canada
The pistons are out of "Testing" IMO and just gaining some real world time. The design has changed very little in the last year. And then, only to accommodate customer requests.

As far as compression ratios go, I suggest 16.5:1 for the daily driver. Higher and they tend to rattle too much for my taste and any efficiency is getting offset by ring blowby anyway. Lower, and you need to adjust the tune a bit and have some cold weather haze.

I am running 17.5:1 now and have been thinking of bumping down. If only to quiet the rattle. I can't imagine the rattle of 18:1's I just shipped out.

15.5 is about as low as I feel comfortable going with Cast Pistons. The oil gallery gets in the way of going lower without taking more material from over the pins.

The lower limit for the forged is still up in the air. I am currently analyzing the 14:1 pistons here to see what the trade offs are. 15:1 is easy and 14.5:1 are doable as of now with valve reliefs.

Mark is by far my best customer so far for these pistons. If you haven't noticed, he loves them, and I am tickled that he, and his customers are happy. They have added a comfort margin to his builds that he was lacking before.

Fingers, great info in here, thanks! I had been curious about increasing engine efficiency (I know I'm one of the few who wants high MPG more than I want higher HP) but it sounds like you are saying that you achieve diminishing returns as CR moves much above stock LLY levels. I'm sub'd to see how those 18:1 pistons work out too. I can certainly see why lowering CR is conducive to increasing boost pressure as Mark outlined and how that plays into daily driver usage as well.

Again thank you both for your insight. :thumb:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Remember, the ultimate efficiency of the diesel is based on the "Ideal" engine. Reality gets in the way.

There are many reasons besides blowby that reduce the efficiency as you increase CR.

High on the list is heat transfer. At higher CRs the chamber temps are significantly higher than lower CRs. Since the transfer of heat from the charge to the piston and block and head is driven by the temperature difference between the two, you lose more heat energy to the engine at higher CRs. A lot more. Heat energy is, after all, where all the power is.

CurtisEmery

Mar 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Have ran stock cam, 3388 SoCal, 6480 SoCal(what is in mine), and will be doing a 9100 SoCal combo very soon. The 3388 works great but my motor with the 6480 is just plain loud! This cam in a normal mahle forged 16.5:1 was not one of my favorites, kinda lazy feeling without alot of rpm gain. I had this cam on the shelf used because we replaced it with a 9100 in a 2.6 puller to gain more topend power. In my motor it acts completely diferent, with great response and definitely wants to rev hard and the thump out the pipe is rediculous, it is so loud. I think this cam will rock with the twins when I put an 88mm over my 72mm vgt. It's all about the combination and the compression ratio with this piston design acts completely different than the normal mahle round chamber and I think this is why my experience is so different than the masses, idk.

How much of a gain did you observe switching from the 8460 to the 9100? Did it make more hp or just move it up in the rpm range?