Piston Bowls

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Update- I have put some miles on it today and had to completely revamp my tuning. It is truely a different animal. My base tune was originally 495hp on my stock motor and ran26-30psi boost/35psi drive. With the new motor and same tuning it hits 40psi boost/60-75psi drive and is violent to say the least. I dialed the vane tables back and pulled some fuel out of it and it calmed down to 30psi/35-40psi drive and is much happier. Feels like it is still well over 500hp on this tune and the exhaust note is definitely different and I love it!!! This bitch is mean!:hug:

Even at a much lower 15.5:1 compression ratio this thing fired right up this morning without missing a lick or smoking! My stock motor smoked more! I didn't even plug it in and it only rolled over twice on a fresh motor with 30degree air temp and fired right off. I'm beyond inpressed with it. Jon and I don't always see eye to eye on the compression ratios but I could have gone alittle lower without issues.

thats good info to know about the vane tables!!! especially under a load

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
mine are in...
69428_4584379601093_1335936111_n.jpg

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
This may have been covered already, but what if any aftermarket cam can be used with these that have no valve reliefs? I really want to stay away from reliefs after seeing an entier of cut and coated stockers fail where the relief meets the bowl. I know these are significantly strong than cut and coated stockers but I would feel better running them without reliefs.

DuramaxPowered

Pushing my luck....
Jan 27, 2008
Monroe, MI
Even at a much lower 15.5:1 compression ratio this thing fired right up this morning without missing a lick or smoking! My stock motor smoked more! I didn't even plug it in and it only rolled over twice on a fresh motor with 30degree air temp and fired right off. I'm beyond inpressed with it. Jon and I don't always see eye to eye on the compression ratios but I could have gone alittle lower without issues.
This is very impressive with a lower compression ratio and 100 overs. :woott: I have 100 overs and it stinks and smokes pretty good until there is some heat in the cylinders.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
This may have been covered already, but what if any aftermarket cam can be used with these that have no valve reliefs? I really want to stay away from reliefs after seeing an entier of cut and coated stockers fail where the relief meets the bowl. I know these are significantly strong than cut and coated stockers but I would feel better running them without reliefs.

Valve reliefs are available. Your cam dictates if and how deep they need to be. On my personal pistons, they are 0.045" deep reliefs.