Overkill vs Misery (video)

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
If you look at the true racers in this sport (and any sport), there is a common theme. They race for themselves and for the pure fun/challenge of it. They do not race for the internet crowd, they do not care how many likes they get on face book. They do not care what the masses behind the keyboard think. They race.

They come to the events to do their best and then hang with friends with like minded hobbies. They spend hard earned money (their own) and untold time on the hobby but don't expect anything in return except the joy of competing. These are the guys/gals that are great to be around and compete with, not the drama queens. They are also the ones that offer help, tools, ideas, blood, sweat, and tears, to help a fellow competitor when needed. Brad at G& J is a great example, one of many.

Most of the true enthusiasts do not want to be around drama, or the ones that cause it, at the track as they have better things on their mind like setting up a truck and getting their head straight on the task ahead.

I will have my scales in Montana and they are accurate to 7,000 pounds. If anyone would like to weight their truck on them, feel free.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
If you look at the true racers in this sport (and any sport), there is a common theme. They race for themselves and for the pure fun/challenge of it. They do not race for the internet crowd, they do not care how many likes they get on face book. They do not care what the masses behind the keyboard think. They race.

They come to the events to do their best and then hang with friends with like minded hobbies. They spend hard earned money (their own) and untold time on the hobby but don't expect anything in return except the joy of competing. These are the guys/gals that are great to be around and compete with, not the drama queens. They are also the ones that offer help, tools, ideas, blood, sweat, and tears, to help a fellow competitor when needed. Brad at G& J is a great example, one of many.

Most of the true enthusiasts do not want to be around drama, or the ones that cause it, at the track as they have better things on their mind like setting up a truck and getting their head straight on the task ahead.

I will have my scales in Montana and they are accurate to 7,000 pounds. If anyone would like to weight their truck on them, feel free.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

03badmaxxx

Ghost Element
Mar 1, 2012
Mesa,AZ
www.facebook.com
Tim and his crew ... My crew and i plus everyone working together trying to cram for tomorrow's race ... No trans or turbo in over kill ...rebuilding trans tonight plus installing new gt 45x flown in on delta air lines at the last second hahaha what a day and Tim's truck from skidmark getting my back up gt 5541 as an upgrade fuel system and my tuning all around :)) were no sleep tonight bound but determined :))))

The biggest contributing factor to Dmitri having to rebuild his transmission and try a multitude of parts is simply the fact that he's putting an Allison through more stress then anyone has ever before. Some time ago it was said these transmissions wouldn't make it in the 10's, then the 9's. That truck is a few adjustments away from extremely low 9's possibly high 8's. Yes, all with an Allison. That's Knocking on the door of the fastest Duramax race trucks that ditched this "slow shifting" "boat anchor" of a transmission a long time ago... Imagine if he had a DuraFlite.. Lighter, faster shits, more programmability... This is racing, things break, slip, explode. The only way to progress development of parts is to push the limits of failure to see what's possible with some legit real world testing.
IMHO if we send him frictions, or planets, converters that hold up only a few events we're happy. (Anyone who has seen that truck go down the track understands the abuse the hard parts take.) To see the results that he has with this transmission is really nothing short of awesome. It has taken a lot of tuning, building, engineering and input from various people. To design and engineer parts for the stress of racing definitely isn't easy because there are way to many other factors that can contribute to failure. This is one of the main reasons why we continue to evolve our frictions and hard parts as do PPE and ATS. All bullshit aside regardless of the drama, point blank he's doing a lot for the sport. Cheers to him, I just wish he would think sometimes before he blew up like the over reacting Italian brotha he is lol

Last edited:

DieselmafiaLLY

Keep Calm and Go Crazy
Apr 6, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The biggest contributing factor to Dmitri having to rebuild his transmission and try a multitude of parts is simply the fact that he's putting an Allison through more stress then anyone has ever before. Some time ago it was said these transmissions wouldn't make it in the 10's, then the 9's. That truck is a few adjustments away from extremely low 9's possibly high 8's. Yes, all with an Allison. That's Knocking on the door of the fastest Duramax race trucks that ditched this "slow shifting" "boat anchor" of a transmission a long time ago... Imagine if he had a DuraFlite.. Lighter, faster shits, more programmability... This is racing, things break, slip, explode. The only way to progress development of parts is to push the limits of failure to see what's possible with some legit real world testing.
IMHO if we send him frictions, or planets, converters that hold up only a few events we're happy. (Anyone who has seen that truck go down the track understands the abuse the hard parts take.) To see the results that he has with this transmission is really nothing short of awesome. It has taken a lot of tuning, building, engineering and input from various people. To design and engineer parts for the stress of racing definitely isn't easy because there are way to many other factors that can contribute to failure. This is one of the main reasons why we continue to evolve our frictions and hard parts as do PPE and ATS. All bullshit aside regardless of the drama, point blank he's doing a lot for the sport. Cheers to him, I just wish he would think sometimes before he blew up like the little over reacting Italian brotha he is lol

lmfaoo at that last line:roflmao:

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
That is not my call as it was not my truck to build...:hug:

You need to READ what I wrote... Not what you WANTED to read...

In my opinion with the way the truck is setup NOW the 4 link is a disadvantage..... Now if he gets it tuned and working as it should, it should be an advantage (except for the weight added)

for you "caring less" you sure have some strong feelings ;):angel:

Dan, I really don't have strong feelings about this, some feelings yes but in the end I really don't care since I having nothing more than a hobby truck :hug:

My original comment before this thread exploded with smiles and hate was that while overkill is impressive in its own right, I thought the other truck was more impressive since it was dual classing in a more restrictive class; and saying a truck in a class 1500lbs lighter with a 4 link shouldn't be claiming the other truck has an advantage in those areas.

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
:D I'll be your huckleberry.......

What about the 2 HUGE air to waters? full cage and 4 link (NON BACKHALF'D)?

I would bet that the 4 link setup weighs more than the stock suspension.

How much do really think the fiberglass helped? Maybe 50-75 lbs?

I know what my stripped down reg cab weighs......I'm sticking with a little over 6k...

We will have pictures and weights hopefully in the next day or so.... for all the haters (Brian this means you):thumb:

I have a real simple solution to this, why don't you weigh the truck? :confused: I'd like to know what it actually weighs and add it to the info on the truck on the quick Dmax list.:thumb:

That would be to easy and then the drama and cheerleaders would have to stop! What fun would that be? :D

Why do people comment before READING.......:stirthepot2:pot stirrers maybe???:rolleyes:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut

Thats a very interesting professional out look not readily seen in a Competition thread with this paticular truck being mentioned! :thumb:

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
That wasn't my question ;) just curious if a four link can tow

Our sh!t tanker has 4 link suspension haha.

Why you gotta go and make this professional. Haha, it is true though. In almost every sport its the quiet guys you never hear about that lend a hand to everybody that go out and consistently win. The thing I liked most about pulling was simply the family of pullers, theres people you don't get along with but most help each other out. The people who look for attention, feel they are entitled to some elite status, or start drama are the ones who people could really care less about at the end of the day.

1slowmax

The break is over
May 9, 2012
Sin City, NV
Dimitri we had our ups and downs but the truth is your truck hauls ass no matter what anyone says or what I think, and you DO put a lot into the sport. More then I ever could but mostly because I have a family, two baby boys, a shop to run and 5 employees that are pretty much my kids too. When you have a wife she will leave your ass if she thinks the toys are more important...:rofl:

Bottom line is if we aren't as fast as you we don't really get any say on a whole lot and people need to understand that. You have asked for my opinion on things and its cool sharing ideas but I have never said you were doing anything wrong. I cant, im not as fast so there for who am I to tell you how you SHOULD do it.

Lots of drama follows but its mostly because its the younger crowd you associate with IMO. Who cares really. Life goes on. Don't let it get to you.

I hope to have a new motor done in 30 days or so and hope we can once again line up sometime, its always fun racing you and BTW last time we raced I won :woott:

Over all I like Overkill but like I said before the rear 4 link set up with the axle is UGLY IMO but that's just my opinion LOL Put some wheel spacers on it or something for crying out loud :roflmao:

See you around man

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Why do people comment before READING.......:stirthepot2:pot stirrers maybe???:rolleyes:

Sorry Dan didn't see your comment, I tend to skip over the posts that get into the personal stuff. To be honest with the track record we are talking about, might want to let a 3rd party weigh it, that way there is no issue. Weigh it on Rob's scales in Billings, would help with the setup too knowing what each wheel is supporting for weight. No secret that I have little use for Dmitri, all of it has nothing to due with his truck. I'd love to see it run a really low number.:thumb:

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
OK so here is the official weight..... The truck was put on two different scales today in race trim with a 1/2 tank of fuel....

First scale showed 5860-5880 dancing between
Second Scale showed 5880-5900 dancing
:D

So this would put Overkill over class weight by 1400lbs and still knocking on the door of other class trucks....;)

This would put power output at 1375-1400 RWHP......:thumb:

Videos being loaded now......:)

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Dan,

I was wrong :thumb:

I thought all the light stuff up front would have gotten to my 5500 lbs as well. :eek:

:hug:

a max of 1500 horse is still shy of the 1900 it has made, but who knows what it would run if it got 1900 to the ground :eek:

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.