"OFFICIAL" What did you do to your D-Max today?

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
I doubt you would have any significant change in piston to wall clearance to effect anything related to a cracked piston, as that's not the root cause to them cracking in the first place.

I didn't do a torque plate on my engine.

I agree, there are many trucks out there with studs on factory bottom ends, and I've seen as many factory head bolts and factory gaskets with cracked pistons as anything else. There are many contributing factors to cracked pistons.

This 2014 pulling season was the first year I torque plate honed the block. But I always had extra piston to wall clearance also...

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Head gasket job is turning into a 4 day job:
Bout ready to stuff the engine back in. DIY egr delete with egt probe fpe tranny lines.
10629606_10204643590983268_2753638388062845597_n.jpg

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
hauled my stuff to the dunes and back, gained a separated 37" tire in the process, got a new one on yesterday, topped off the fuel and drove her to work today to do truck things :angel:

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
I doubt you would have any significant change in piston to wall clearance to effect anything related to a cracked piston, as that's not the root cause to them cracking in the first place.

I didn't do a torque plate on my engine.

I didn't either I don't ever worry either:thumb:

the clearance has nothing to do with the cracking just shit design

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I didn't either I don't ever worry either:thumb:

the clearance has nothing to do with the cracking just shit design

I'd bet money my engine is tighter than yours...
Outside me I know of one other person that has split a piston at ~360hp or less. He ran hotshot as well.

Nd I don't have the disposable income right to prove me right/wrong

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I don't necessarily agree that studs affect piston to wall clearance enough to crack a piston, I do agree that oil temp is a significant factor.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I don't necessarily agree that studs affect piston to wall clearance enough to crack a piston, I do agree that oil temp is a significant factor.

Absolutly. this is why I run an engine oil temp gauge and can't count how many have asked "why?" that are actually diesel mechanics. That's where alot of the heat comes from in a diesel engines oil. it doesnt take very many times railing on it on a hot tune to climb twenty degrees, the hottest I have seen is a little over 240 on mine and that was towing. iirc engine oils effectiveness drops signifcantly after 250. and these guys running twins have another heat source for the same amount of oil and the sme size cooler.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Damn that looks waaaaay to cold man.

Camping in a canvas wall tent without a heater and night time temps of -20 was a bit of a challenge. I didn't have to worry about meat spoiling, actually lost some meat to freezer burn. First time that has happened to me. We had to boil water at night to place in our cooler to keep the beer from freezing.