Off Season Sled Pulling Mods

whytry

Oct 11, 2010
balancing

In regards to balancing...i assume that most major builds are internally balanced..but those with lbz/lmm cranks are they being balanced with lb7 flexplates and balancers since they have less external weight? I would think thst would put less stress on the crankshaft

duramaxsandwich

Mar 30, 2009
We went to running girdles back in 08 on 750+hp builds becuase of the main bearing wear from the caps walking back and forth. You get tired of rebearing a pulling motor every season. The girdle will not fix the crank breaking but will help the bearing issues caused by cap walking. Jon Jon's(The Hulk) 2.6 puller is still running the same motor untouched that I built him in 08 and it is girdled and has been at 900+hp since day one without any issue. It would have been nice to get a bulletproof crank like the cummins guys have but we got the much nicier trucks!

We also had caps moving and main bearing wear on 2 motors and the girdle fixed that problem.

Lb7 heaven

Delete it
Mar 26, 2011
I dont use a girdle. I have a engine with one and when it is pulled apart for inspection there is no difference. Duramax is a four bolt main, the only people using them are the ones that sell them is my thought. I have yet to have a crank crack or break in a pulling application. I believe there is alot to do with tuning again just my thought. I have yet to have a piston fail as well. Altough I have bent three different billet rod manufactures rods. Even spit one through a block on a engine dyno and crank checked out being maged because I was curious? It did go into scrap pile thought.

I did try changing the fire order on the dyno last year and it is not for me.
Any details on your build for 2013? I heard rumor of a mechanical pump?

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
In regards to balancing...i assume that most major builds are internally balanced..but those with lbz/lmm cranks are they being balanced with lb7 flexplates and balancers since they have less external weight? I would think thst would put less stress on the crankshaft

I highly doubt any "big builds" are running stock flywheels or balancers..rules won't allow them.

whytry

Oct 11, 2010
I highly doubt any "big builds" are running stock flywheels or balancers..rules won't allow them.

Thanks for clearing that up!!! I guess when i said they were internally balanced you figured that the stock flexplate and balancer could still be used:roflmao:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Thanks for clearing that up!!! I guess when i said they were internally balanced you figured that the stock flexplate and balancer could still be used:roflmao:

no, you asked if people were using Lb7 flexplate and balancer with newer cranks since you assumed that most "big builds" were internally balanced....but most are not. most are externally balanced still since internal balancing has not proved to be worth the money and actually has some drawbacks. It sucks to ASSume doesnt it?

whytry

Oct 11, 2010
The whole idea is to reduce the rotating mass to lessen the stress on the crank...lb7 flexplates have less weight stock or aftermarket...the question was are guys running them on newer cranks....not sure why you have such a hard on for me Tim but i have several hundred bobweight cards under my belt if you wanna call me we can talk more about balancing...

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
It's in the rules for spinning faster than I think 4500rpm. But I know 2.6 trucks that have stock balancers. I don't think its enforced really either.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

quadracer37

Mar 31, 2009
northern, IL
nice! :thumb:
heres some stuff we have been working on. dyno on monday again!
photo (52).jpg
photo (50).jpg
photo (51).jpg

Attachments

• photo (52).jpg
    photo (52).jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 187
  • photo (51).jpg
    photo (51).jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 176
  • photo (50).jpg
    photo (50).jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 165

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Look at the teeny tiny wheels!!! Are they gonna overspeed the CP3s?!?!

Looks sexy though! Your all's skillz are second to none! Kudos. I see ED mentioned... do they do your turbo?!