Off Season Sled Pulling Mods

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
Well here's my new dry sump and girdle combined, not quite done but almost.

Attachments

• 482049_376516769121374_1869479662_n.jpg
    482049_376516769121374_1869479662_n.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 426379_376517432454641_617237171_n.jpg
    426379_376517432454641_617237171_n.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 89

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl
Anybody in here explain to me how the girdle is going to solve the Duramax Crankshaft failures? Just wondering bc we have not put a girdle on a motor to date and those that have installed girdles still ends up with a broken crank or broken block.

I know people are all top secret on there builds at times but a quick run down of those spending the time and money on girdles and those not would shed some light on the topic:

I know awhile back there was a thread about top running dmax sled pull trucks in the country and I know for a fact over half of those motors pretty well and non have a girdle.

Any of the others willing to share if they girdle or not?

Tony B?
Rob ?
Tim H?
Tim J?
Jim H?
Jake Thompson and crew?

Last edited:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Anybody in here explain to me how the girdle is going to solve the Duramax Crankshaft failures? Just wondering bc we have not put a girdle on a motor to date and those that have installed girdles still ends up with a broken crank or broken block.

I know people are all top secret on there builds at times but a quick run down of those spending the time and money on girdles and those not would shed some light on the topic:

I know awhile back there was a thread about top running dmax sled pull trucks in the country and I know for a fact over half of those motors pretty well and non have a girdle.

Tony B?
Rob ?
Tim H?
Tim J?
Jim H?
Jake Thompson and crew?

Curious aswell!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
Well when building the sump it wasn't very hard to combine the girdle so it was cheap insurance. From the people I talked to they reccomended the girdle and Tony B is building my motor.

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA

Tony B?
Rob ?
Tim H?
Tim J?
Jim H?
Jake Thompson and crew?

Im sure we are less hp than some guys but we are are def more then most, 2 seasons on our engine, no girdle, after tearing it down there are no signs of needing one.

FarmDiesel22

Farmer
Sep 28, 2009
Well I know of two trucks running the past couple years with girdles and haven't had any issues. That's in 3.0 trucks. My motor is getting a girdle for this season. I don't know if I would say a girdle is going to save a crank but will definitely keep the main caps in one place. I know a 1000 hp+ street truck that had the mains walking bad and that motor is getting one to keep the mains from walking.

Is it really the girdle causing crank failures or is it something else?

FarmDiesel22

Farmer
Sep 28, 2009
I also had a friend who bought a truck that had a built motor with twins. He had it for a week or two before he was driving it and then it cracked a piston. He had the motor gone threw and rebuilt with forged pistons and only had main studs, no billet mains or girdle. He drove it for awhile and sold the truck. The next guy who had it had the crank break. Not sure if anything changed on the truck after my friend sold it but I know it only had main studs. The truck had 900+ hp

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
I don't run a girdle. I had 3 years on an untouched bottom end and broke a crank at sdx last year. I cant really complain.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
I have to retract some of my last statement. Romeo Fab made this for me and when we first talked he said the girdle and sump would be combined. Nothing has changed in the design and he feels it will act the same as a girdle but he doesn't want to sell it as anymore then a dry sump pan for now. The sump was very reasonably priced. I do enjoy this girdle talk though. How many of you guys are running filled blocks with or with out a girdle.

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
How many of you guys are running filled blocks with or with out a girdle.

No fill here, just main studs.

Not to keep off topic here but i feel a correctly align honed block, properly and equally set oil clearence on the mains goes a long way, stock they suck, the newer they get the worse they seem to be. this is just my oppinion FWIW!

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
No fill here, just main studs.

Not to keep off topic here but i feel a correctly align honed block, properly and equally set oil clearence on the mains goes a long way, stock they suck, the newer they get the worse they seem to be. this is just my oppinion FWIW!

Your on topic, I like hearing everyones views since nobody hardly talks online. Your truck runs really well so the proof is in the pudding.

duramaxsandwich

Mar 30, 2009

Tony B?
Rob ?
Tim H?
Tim J?
Jim H?
Jake Thompson and crew?

What gen cranks are u breaking? Were pushing mine harder every year but so far have had zero issues. Stock lb7 crank, 150k miles, stock main caps and 5/8 girdle. Fully filled block.