No four wheel drive

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I eased into a creek crossing last night, it was deeper than I wanted to go through so I went to back up and four wheel drive quit working, transfer is going into high and low range and works fine.
I'm guessing my actuator quit working? What do I need to check. I destroyed two brand new tires boring back out of that creek.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
Bump, never had to mess with the actuators on the front end, how can I tell if it's bad or if something else in the front end is?
Also is there a temporary way to keep the front end full time until I can get parts in?
Already have a foot of snow and I don't think my explorer is gonna make it out if it gets a lot deeper.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Should be able to pull the actuator out of the diff. Cycle it with power to see if the nipple moves in and out. Have you checked your fuses? Another issue might be the 4wd button has gone bad. I ran into that problem with my truck once before.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
I have not checked fuses. I'll go pull the actuator now and see if it functions.
Transfer goes in high and low range I used low range pawing out of that bottom when I was being pulled.

JeremyDon88

Feb 6, 2012
One on my friends 08 wouldn't go into 4wd and I crawled under it and unplugged the connector and repluged and not sure if it reset something or just wasn't gettin a good connection but it started workin and hasn't quit since... I mite try that..

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
If it shows you're engaging 4 high or 4 low then more than likely the front actuator isn't working. If you can get it to extend out, reinstall it and leave the connector unplugged. If it doesn't work at all stick something like a socket on top of the actuator and it should keep the front end engaged full time temporarily.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
I couldn't find any blown fuses, I unplugged the actuator and plugged it in but no way to tell until I back it out the garage and try it.
How does the actuator come out? Just screw out?

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
Oh and I was checking stuff under the hood and I honed on that truck for a total of 25-35 minutes off and on at 4600 rpm and noticed my dipstick blew out about a half inch. Blow by still is very low from what I can tell,

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
It's a 12v on off solenoid you can pull the connector and check it with was a multimeter to see its getting electric. I think it's 2 or 3 bolts to pull it out and yes just pull it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
Ok thanks, my truck thawed in the garage and there is mud everywhere, just swept what I could get and cranked up the heat hopefully it dries soon, glad I put off getting a creeper, didn't think I'd need one this soon.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Test the actuator while pushing it down against a hard surface. They will come out without resistance then not work once reinstalled. You can actuate it out then reinstall it unplugged for 4 wheel drive. Blowing the dip stick out is not good Reger, hope you didn't crack a piston buddy.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
Ok, actuator is out, it does NOT work, there is a skinny little stem, I mean baby bastard, Spring is in there.

What size socket can I stick in front of the actuator to make 4x4 work until I get shit ordered, we have almost 2' of snow I need this thing and it's gonna have to be honed on to get out of my bottom, state road hasn't touched my road, but my driveway I've stayed on it shoveling.

Edit, looks like the stem Tried to move but not enough to even make it to the end of the actuator body.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I believe the actuators are pretty cheap. Jack up one front tire and take a screwdriver and slide it through where the actuator mounts. Spin the tire and push on the engaging fork and verified the front does engage. Make sure the engaging collar isn't broken like what Ben mentioned up above.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Ok, actuator is out, it does NOT work, there is a skinny little stem, I mean baby bastard, Spring is in there.

What size socket can I stick in front of the actuator to make 4x4 work until I get shit ordered, we have almost 2' of snow I need this thing and it's gonna have to be honed on to get out of my bottom, state road hasn't touched my road, but my driveway I've stayed on it shoveling.

Edit, looks like the stem Tried to move but not enough to even make it to the end of the actuator body.

Use an 18 or 20 volt drill battery to get it out, then install it unplugged.